“Fab way to explore the area”

Cathedral Cove Scenic Cruises
Ranked #3 of 19 Tours in Whitianga
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Boat tour cruise of Cathedral Cove, Cooks Beach, Hahei, marine reserve, caves and beaches. includes swimming and snorkelling if conditions suit
Reviewed 27 August 2017

My friend and I had a brilliant time on this trip, it was a great way of exploring the area in a short amount of time. Ken was fantastic and went out of his way to make sure the passengers on board had a great experience and were all included. He had a great depth of knowledge of the area, informing us of local history as well as future development, and was happy to answer all questions thrown his way, he was fun and friendly, making me feel completely at ease (despite my fear of open water). Ken went the extra mile to ensure we had the opportunity to take the best photos and to see as much as possible. This trip is definitely a 'must do' if you are visiting the area.

1  Thank smarshall86
Lesley H, Owner at Cathedral Cove Scenic Cruises, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2017

Thanks for the review. I am glad you pics came out well and hope our secret fish viewing system worked well for you too.

Reviewed 27 August 2017 via mobile

I was only in the area for one day and night and as we checked into the hotel we had booked and got chatting to the lady I expressed interest in cathedral coves so she recommended a boat trip and give us a leaflet and told us about it. The next morning myself and a friend was checking out of the hotel and was pushing it fine time wise to get to the marina in time for the boat. As I checked out I mentioned we was rushing for the boat trip. When we got to the marina we saw the boat had set off and we had missed it. When a couple of minutes later as we was wondering what we was going to do instead- there was a man on a boat that looked like the boat on the trip and he was waving at us. The lady at the hotel had rung him and give him the heads we was on our way so he turned around and come back for us. I thought this was such a lovely thing to do and it defiantly made my day that he did. Ken introduced himself got us all kitted up in life vests and safety briefed and we where ready to go. From the off ken made the whole vibe great he had a lot of knowledge about the area which was fab but he also got everyone interacting with each other repaying favours of photo taking and generally creating such a great atmosphere for such a trip. We got some really amazing pictures of shakesphere point the plant pot cathedral coves and many more. We saw seals and had a underwater view of the marine life to without getting wet ( coz it was winter) but I won't spoil the surprise. It was such a great couple of hours which also included a surprise speed moment which ken created for photo opportunities and even a little go at driving the boat. Ken made this experience and would highly recommend. Thanks again ken

Thanks for the review. yes its always a bit of a dilemma leaving early you never know who might turn up. I am glad Pam gave me a call as I really enjoyed your company on the boat and we all had a great time.

I also have some pics for you and Pam gave me an email so will send those for you too.

safe travels

Reviewed 22 August 2017 via mobile

Such a great day out at Mercury Bay.... Ken completely looked after us and ensured we got the absolute most out of our time on the water! A total must do for anyone heading to Whitianga!!

Thanks for the review. We have had a pretty good ruin of weather lately so winter cruising has been pretty good.

Reviewed 18 August 2017

My husband and I were blown away by this cruise. Ken is such a wonderful guide and he obviously cares about his guests getting the best experience from Mercury Bay. His boat is the perfect size to fit a small group (much more personal than a larger cruise), and it fits into the small caves so you truly get the full experience of the beautiful Orua cave. Ken keeps in touch with you before the trip to keep you apprised of any potential weather issues. Although you should definitely not EXPECT to see whales, we were very lucky to find some playing in the bay. Even without seeing whales, though, this trip is a wonderful mix of breathtaking scenery, cool fish, and interesting history.

Lesley H, Owner at Cathedral Cove Scenic Cruises, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2017

Thanks for the great review I hope you had a great tour in NZ. I hope you managed to get some pics of the Orca too, as you say very lucky to catch a day when these wonderful mammals are here

Reviewed 25 July 2017

My husband and I found this tour by accident, and booked at the last minute the night before the tour. It ended up being a highlight of our tour to NZ!

Ken was super-friendly, knowledgeable and we had a great time with him! We learnt so much about the area, and were constantly in awe of our beautiful surroundings! Ken stopped in all the best spots for photos and gopro footage. We can't thank him enough for his personal friendly service. We were smiling for the rest of the day!

We were extra lucky to see a Humpback whale up close!! Apparently this is quite rare, but we were gobsmacked to see a pod of 4 whales breach a few times. It was magical. We also saw lots of marine life on our trip.

A wonderful experience that I cannot recommend highly enough!

Lesley H, Owner at Cathedral Cove Scenic Cruises, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2017

Thanks for the review - yes probably the lucky passengers of the year, certainly a rare visit by these whales

Safe journey