“Wonderful”

Artisanal Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Artisanal Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 49 Restaurants in Banner Elk
Price range: US$50 - US$50
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Hwy 184
Reviewed 2 August 2017 via mobile

This is our second time here, and we can not rave enough.
We had the Duck and Halibut. Both were done to perfection with a beautiful display of vegetables.

Reviewed 2 August 2017 via mobile

Sat outside by the brook. Beautiful setting. The best vegetarian plate ever. Extremely helpful staff.. A truly memorable dinner.

Reviewed 20 July 2017 via mobile

We have eaten in outstanding restaurants all over the world and this ranks in our top 5. The Ambience especially on the porch by the stream is fabulous. All the servers were excellent. They seem to have a "type", early 20's, tall and very clean cut. Our service was outstanding! We can't say enough about how good our meals were. The heirloom tomato salad and homemade mozzarella was to die for. We had the halibut & wrecker fish medallions. Both were superb. All of the vegetables were perfect, in season and crisp tender. Everything was prepared to perfection. Well worth the 40 minute drive from Blowing Rock. Business casual dress.

1  Thank asmith6688
Reviewed 5 July 2017

I have eaten here several times before and always enjoyed it to some degree, though I think it is overrated. This last time was a disappointment. Yes, the atmosphere is beautiful, the service is very good and the bread is absolutely the best. My biggest issue is with value. I don't mind spending hundreds of dollars on a meal if it's the kind of meal that makes you happy. Yes, happy. I recently returned from France and we ate at some stellar restaurants, including one with two Michelin stars, and the meals were worth every penny. I didn't bother to review them, because I would have said what virtually every other reviewer said--in essence, sensational! That certainly cannot be said for Artisanal, which vies for the same denotation.

The wine list is quite good, but as is typical with a $$$$ restaurant, it is overpriced, even in comparison with restaurants of this same caliber. Several of us ordered the asparagus soup. We were presented with bowls that had a small variety of mushrooms, and a couple of sprigs of something none of us could identify, in the bottom. A waiter appeared with small glass vials of the soup, which he poured into our bowls with a flourish. Ta da! There were perhaps five spoonfuls of soup for $11. I hesitate to use the word bland, but that is truly the best word to describe it.

I know when the server says, "Our special tonight..." that it is going to be more expensive than the entrees on the menu. I don't mind that if it sounds particularly wonderful, and since nothing on the menu enticed me as much as the eight-ounce filet mignon special, I ordered it. Besides okra, there were no other vegetables offered that evening. I don't even recall what garnish was on the plate with the filet because it was so incidental. A small ramekin of potatoes in a tasteless creamy sauce was the side dish that was included. I ate three spoonfuls and left the rest. Perhaps some salt would have helped, but there was none on the table. My filet was a very nice cut of tenderloin, as it should have been for $57. Even Andiamo Steakhouse in Vegas, one of the top 10 restaurants in a city of fabulous restaurants, charges on $53 for a larger, ten-ounce filet. (I just checked, because I had one of the best filets of my life there, and wanted a fair comparison.)

Perhaps it was an off evening. The restaurant was only one-quarter full. I think it might be resting on a reputation, and that it needs to kick up the value and the variety if it's going to hold its esteemed place in the North Carolina mountains.

4  Thank JOLLYGOLIGHTLY
Reviewed 2 July 2017

We visited the area to escape the Florida summer heat. I was not expecting this quality of dining experience in such a small town. This restaurant is spectacularly beautiful and that beauty is joined with professional service and interesting, creative, delicious food. Yes, it is a bit pricey but worth every cent.