“Be advised - MSG”

Tokyo Express
Ranked #32 of 52 Restaurants in Banner Elk
Cuisines: Japanese, Vietnamese
Reviewed 3 August 2014

About twenty minutes after eating my takeaway, my face became flush and had a headache. These symptoms are consistent with MSG.

The food was decent; I would have been inclined toward three or even four dots on its own.

2  Thank John D

Reviewed 10 January 2014

My and my significant other LOVE Pho. We've eaten at a couple of Vietnamese restaurants and this was one of the best I ever had. A lot of restaurants will skimp on meat and noodles but this had plenty of both. The flavor was just right. I loved the prices of everything.

I can't comment on any other food my friends had but they got the Pho right. Service was a little slow but no problem for us, we had time. It was also pretty cold. It sucked freezing your toes while eating inside.

Reviewed 26 December 2013

I love their food, especially the Vietnamese selections. It's a small family restaurant and they are sometimes shorthanded, so I would say go somewhere else if you're in a hurry. However, the food is always excellent and a good value. There's a reason they've been there for a decade!

Reviewed 18 December 2013 via mobile

I agree with the last review. Due to my love of this type of food, I would try this establishment over & over. 1 out of 3 times we found our selfs feeling sick after eatting there. Finally we decided to go only during the busy season to insure fresh food. The last time we got sick we promised never to go back & have not returned. These people know they are serving you rotten food & continue to do so. Just plan wrong & gross that it has not been shut down & they are able to continue to do so.

1  Thank chapmanBannerElk
Reviewed 11 December 2013

I use to work there and let me tell you that the chicken that we cook some times its past due date and smell bad.but we still cook them like that and when its done we put it in tariyaki Sauce thats why when we served it doesnt smell bad.we clean and make everything fresh when health departament its going to check us.if you want to get sick one day.its your choise.

1  Thank Cristyalvarez