All reviews mom and pop grandfather mountain flower garden cookie cutter family photos nice owners all rooms are non smoking name brand hotels banner elk area hand painted happily stay here again grandma's house cute place porch swing room was clean run of the mill riding motorcycles
Reviewed 28 September 2017

We spent 2 nights here recently and loved the place. We stayed in room #1. This is a mom and pop motel and very clean and comfortable. They do a great job maintaining a flower garden out front. The rooms are decorated very cute and cozy. We had a view of Grandfather Mountain out our back window. We will definitely be staying here again when we're in the Boone area.

Room tip: Room #1 has a swing outside the door plus it's on the end. I would choose this room again.
Date of stay: September 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
JimBoone, Owner at Hidden Valley Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2018

Thanks Car0l100 for staying with us and taking the time to write your review. Mom (Maxine) gets all the credit for the garden, does all that hard work, my flowers are on the bath walls, no weeds to pull, once and done. Thanks again and see you next time, Jim & family

Reviewed 10 September 2017

We traveled to the area over Labor Day weekend to hike Grandfather Mountain. This motel is conveniently located near the Profile view trailhead. The hotel is comfortable and had all the needed amenities. The owners are friendly and helpful. Each room has its own style of decor. We enjoyed the family photos on the wall. We enjoyed a meals at Grandview Inn and Peddling Pig before and after our hike. This is a nice place to stay when in the area.

Date of stay: September 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
JimBoone, Owner at Hidden Valley Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2017

Thanks family0f6traveler for taking the time to write a review, glad you enjoyed your stay and the meals in the area. Jim & Family

Reviewed 30 August 2017 via mobile

When traveling we usually avoid the small independents because the quality is so variable.

This place had a good reference in a hiking guide - it's not far from the MST - so we tried it in July while we were hiking and ended up staying four days. And we came back for another couple of nights a month later to hike on Grandfather Mountain.

It's clean, reasonably appointed, priced right, pretty quiet and we had no problem getting a room at the last minute.

Jim takes care of the paperwork and his wife takes care of the garden and cleaning the rooms.

Date of stay: August 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
JimBoone, Owner at Hidden Valley Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2017

Thanks Henry W for taking the time to give us a review. I consider reviews important to us because as you say they do give folks an idea of what to expect at a small independent motel and we are going to try to provide a pleasant stay for our guests.

One comment for the benefit of potential future guests, while there are those times when you can drive up and find the room of your choice, there are also times that find us quite busy, if a guest has an advance plan for a specific date a reservation can work in their favor.

Reviewed 14 August 2017

Nice comfortable rooms ( not cookie cutter) each one different. Beautiful garden that you can walk through or just sit down and relax. If you are looking for a place to just be laid back, this is it. A very nice couple and their daughter run the place.

Date of stay: June 2017

Thanks SunnyHam for your review, we try to offer a nice place to stay and hope you will visit with us again soon.

Reviewed 7 August 2017

Travelled in July 2017 to the Grandfather Mountain Highland Games and reserved a room here. I was very skeptical because I like to stay in name brand hotels. We wanted to save money to we decided to stay here. I live in Wisconsin so I'm not used to southern heat so I think I was a bit annoying in emailing the owners to make sure the AC worked. They were very patient with me. It's a little hard to find but after 2 passes we found it. When we checked in the owner told me he just checked earlier to make sure the AC was working and turned it on for us. (Very thankful) This place is not the Ritz so if that's what you are looking for look else where. Everything was clean and homey. There are only about 10 units but several of the patrons there were returning customers. That tells you something about the property and the owners. We will definitely stay here again when we return to the games in a few years.
(Only complaint is that the towels were a bit rough.)

Date of stay: July 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lert84
JimBoone, Owner at Hidden Valley Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2017

Thanks Lert84 for your review. Reviews help new folks know what to expect, hopefully good, and even a negative item becomes a learning tool so that hopefully we change for the better.

You can be sure that I don't like southern heat either, moved here from further south to run away from hot weather so I do try to notice the AC units work, its going to run when I'm working up a sweat cleaning the rooms, and yes the owner does the cleaning.

We are facing highway 105 in the Foscoe Community, but as an 8 unit motel we are a small property and traffic at times moves quickly, while not a large or imposing property hopefully you might find some features, large garden, antiques in rooms, that you wouldn't find in those large new properties, our other Wisconsin guest for the games has returned for the last 20 years, hopefully if I get a visitor once I'll earn their business on the next trip to the area.

Towels are definitely on my wish list for this year's updates, its just a bit of a balancing act between trying to maintain reasonable pricing and adding quality to our offerings.

Thanks again for the review, Jim & Family