“Rude and horrible staff”

Umami Japanese Steakhouse and Sushi Bar
Ranked #169 of 226 Restaurants in Burlington
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese, Bar, Wine Bar
Reviewed 19 February 2017 via mobile

Visited with reservations for an anniversary. 7pm reservations, not seated until 8:15. Cook was rude and made joke about my friend and her 5 year old daughter. Waitress was all over the place and when asked for something screamed at my friend and ran off. We asked for another waitress and that was not honored but I guess conversation about the incident occurred with other staff and talk was being made between cook and waitstaff. When we asked to speak to a manager we were ignored.
Food was awful also. I've never seen spaghetti noodles used as Japanese noodles.
Overall I will never ever eat here again.
Also submitted an email to owner and manager and never heard back from them after several attempts.

1  Thank stacie21

Reviewed 28 February 2016 via mobile

We visited this place on a Friday night with our two young children ages six and eight. We had a wonderful time, and the Japanese type chef was one of the best we've ever experienced. He was friendly and funny and quite personable. The waitstaff was amazing too. We had the sweetest ladies who waited on us. However, the food left a lot to be desired. The prices were the same as any top-rated Japanese steakhouse I've ever been to in larger cities like Greensboro or Raleigh, but the quality of the food wasn't quite on par with those. My husband ordered the steak, and the steaks that they used were not what we would consider high quality steak--they were very thin. I was a little surprised with the small amount of vegetables that they gave us with our order to, especially considering that we paid $18 for hibachi chicken that was supposed to come with rice and vegetables. Their white sauce was a bit watered down, and their house salad dressing tasted like coleslaw dressing. If they improve just a little bit on their food, this would be one of the places we would go to on a regular basis, though. Their waitstaff and chefs were so great. This made the experience a good one.

Reviewed 12 February 2016

We used to order takeout from Umami about twice a month and loved the food. They were usually pretty slow getting the order ready and not all that friendly, but for decent sushi in this town it wasn't that bad.

Then we decided to eat in the sushi bar one night. Our service was awful, the waitress was slow and unfriendly, and the sushi took forever even though the crowd was very light. I know good sushi takes time - I eat it a lot - but this was far too long of a wait. Not good.

Soon after, we decided to go back to our takeout routine. I called in an order and was told it would be ready in about 20 minutes, which I knew from experience meant around 30. When my wife showed up 25 minutes later, she sat and waited for someone to acknowledge her. When they finally did, they told her they had no record of our order and it would be another 30 minutes.

When my wife told me, I called and spoke to this lady, who I believe is a co-owner, and who happened to be the same person who took my order. She never admitted a mistake, but instead repeatedly denied I had ever talked to her. She also refused to have the sushi chefs make our order ahead of the people who had ordered after us. By this point we were determined to get the sushi, so my wife waited. Over an hour after I placed the order, our sushi was finally ready. The lady never apologized or even offered any kind of concession. When my wife asked (politely, she's much better at that than me), the cheapest roll ($5) was taken off of the order ($65).

No restaurant is perfect, nor is every restaurant employee. But treating the customer with respect should be a priority for any business. If you don't mind horrible service, then by all means eat here. The sushi is good, but it's just not worth it for us.

Reviewed 4 October 2015 via mobile

The food was just average for Japanese steakhouse. Decor is okay. The waitress (s) is horrible, did not keep drinks filled, and super slow. The real icing on the cake was the automatic gratuity that they included in my check. I strongly believe a tip is a earned courtesy not a mandatory enforcement. So I was highly aggravated when my service had been horrible then she brings a bill with 18% gratuity automatically calculated in the total with no option to change or dispute it (without causing a scene). We will not be returning and will be telling others.

Reviewed 21 September 2015 via mobile

We have eaten at several japanese restaurants in Winston and Greensboro but we wanted a different presentation. Sometimes it seems the cooks just do the same things each time you go. So we made the drive to Burlington and it was worth it. The food was great! The chef was so personable. Love they serve ny strip instead of ribeye as their standard steak. Scallops were excellent. I just wish they did the banana dessert some of the others do.