“Great view, OK room”

Courtyard by Marriott Carolina Beach
Ranked #4 of 19 Hotels in Carolina Beach
Reviewed 1 September 2017 via mobile

We had an ocean view. The sunrises are beautiful! Great access to the beach, and a nice boardwalk to take walks on. The room was just ok. The Starbucks that shows up as being inside the hotel is a little deli/coffee type counter that sells a limited selection of Starbucks products. As a Starbucks lover, I was a little disappointed, but what they did serve was good. The beach is beautiful, and there is plenty of fun things to do within a 30 minute drive.

Stayed: September 2017
Anton B, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Carolina Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2017

Dear SchultzFam8,

I am glad that you had a great time with your recent visit to Carolina Beach! We hope that you will come back and visit us as our full renovation starts up this fall!

Reviewed 29 August 2017

This hotel needs a lot of improvement. First of all it looks shabby on the inside. The hall carpets are dirty and the rooms need a renovation.
We stayed here for a special event (wedding). Each night we had an activity and 2 out of 3 nights, our room as never cleaned!!! We came off the beach to get ready and the room was the same way we left it- unmade bed, no new towels, no amenities, etc. When we called the desk, they offered to get it cleaned- 4 PM - but we had no time to wait while they did this. We had to check in/out each day as our reservations were all different due to a rate with a block and a regular rate.
There are no safe deposit boxes in the rooms. I got the last of a very few boxes and had to go downstairs each time I needed my wallet to go out. When we checked out, they could not open the box and it took over 20 minutes to finally get it open.
They do not offer towels for the beach. The lady in charge of pool towels told me to go buy cheap ones as you can't take the pool towels to the beach.
People park in the hotel lot to go by the boardwalk and entertainment right by there. If you come back late, there is not enough parking.
The breakfast buffet was mediocre and similar to other free hotel buffets but you paid $12.95 for it. The muffins and pasty items were ice cold. After eating there once, we went to the nearby Pancake House instead.
Compared to the Holiday Inn in Wrightsville Beach, this hotel lacks everything.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Anton B, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Carolina Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2017

Dear Missshopper,

Thank you for choosing our hotel for your recent stay in Carolina Beach! I apologize for your concerns with the stayover service that was missed. Please reach out to me so I can follow up with housekeeping about this. We do have a full renovation coming in a few months that will put us back at the standard you expect at other select service hotels!

Reviewed 28 August 2017

There on a conference so had a reduced room rate, but even at that it was outrageous! No microwave in room. Just one in main hall. No vending machines. They have a pantry next to the check in desk in the lobby that you can buy items for $$. NO COMPLIMENTARY COFFEE!! This was a big one for me as I like to partake of coffee day and evenings. They have a little bistro but it is pricey as well. Last thing was the staff at the breakfast bar. I meandered over there just to check it out on a break and one of the waitresses ran me off telling me it was $12.95 per person. I was just looking! Best thing about the whole stay was the night desk clerk. She was so very nice!!

Room Tip: all rooms are ocean view but the higher up the better
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled on business

Dear Jill A,

We are glad that Debra Jean was able to give you that customer service you come to expect when staying at a Marriott. I do apologize about the concerns with the other staff member you encountered and we will follow up. The other concerns that you have are standard at any Courtyard Property. So I do apologize that these were not available for your stay. We hope you give us another chance!

Reviewed 27 August 2017

Great location you walk to the beach, outdoor and indoor pool for kids. Great and friendly staff. I always stay at this hotel to enjoy the beautiful beach. Great restaurants in walking distance fro the hotel.

Room Tip: all rooms have balcony facing the ocean great sunset
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family

Dear Luis M,

We are very happy that you enjoyed your recent stay in Carolina Beach! We cannot wait to see you next season with the newly renovated product!

Reviewed 24 August 2017

After a full day of travel, being utterly exhausted, we went to climb into the beds and noticed that the sheets looked as though they'd never been changed - very wrinkled and it was obvious they'd not been changed. Husband said to let it go - we'd deal w/ it in the morning as we were both totally spent. So I then went to get a glass from the ice bucket tray and it was filthy - greasy inside. Guhross. I grabbed the 2nd glass & it was equally filthy, only this one had lipstick on the rim. I lost it and went down - glasses in hand and unchanged sheet story uppermost on my mind - & unloaded on the poor desk clerk, asking to speak to supervisor. He said he was the only one there but he'd make sure to let the manager know. He did offer to find us another room, but after traveling for so many hours and having already unpacked, i knew I would not get my husband on board w/ changing rooms. The next day (we were there 2 nights) I fully expected to hear from someone... anyone... w/ at least an apology. But nothing. Nada. Zip. Not a peep out of management or even a desk clerk checking on our situation. I would never, ever stay here again. Ever. And after that experience, I may cross Marriott off my list entirely.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Geri R

Dear Geri R,

We sincerely apologize for your experience during your recent stay with us! This is not an experience that we would want anyone to endure when they visit and I guarantee that we will be taking this up further with the appropriate team members.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Carolina Beach
1.0 km away
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Carolina Beach
23.1 km away
Holiday Inn Resort Wrightsville Beach
Holiday Inn Resort Wrightsville ...
#2 of 9 in Wrightsville Beach
20.9 km away
Blockade Runner Beach Resort
Blockade Runner Beach Resort
#1 of 9 in Wrightsville Beach

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Carolina Beach? Share your experiences!