“Delicious!”

Kipos Greek Taverna
Reserve with OpenTable
Kipos Greek Taverna is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #10 of 320 Restaurants in Chapel Hill
Price range: US$5 - US$31
Cuisines: Greek
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: Kipos is a place familiar like home, comforting, flavorful, honest and welcoming to all. It's a taverna, where friends and strangers gather every day to share thoughts, a glass of wine or two, raki, beer, and often Ouzo. Mezedes (small plates) keep coming to your table, and the conversation and laughter get better with time. This is something that we all share. Kipos is a reflection of my childhood: fresh and robust village foods cooked in wood-burning ovens, honoring old and modern recipes alike. It's a remembrance of my mother's masterful way with phyllo. It's a celebration of cheese, breads, mousaka and lamb youvetsi. It's a story about pigeon in clay pots, octopus grilled over a fire and perfect dolmas. It's about my love for her youvarelakia, her rabbit stefado and the aroma of lamb roasting over an open fire. It's about her chicken and potatoes, especially when I was the one who had to catch the bird. Kipos is a tale of baked eggplant, the perfect village salad, kakavia and my favorite, zucchini blossoms and fresh cheese. And of course we can't forget the baklava, honey walnut cakes and spoon sweets. But above all, Kipos is a story about the love and joy that my parents shared, working the fields heroically, enduring, so that one day my brothers, my sister and I could realize the American dream. My brothers, sister and I became one with the garden, with the olives, with the grapes. We became one with the fields and the mountains that were covered with wild oregano. We gathered animals, both wild and tamed. Nature nourished us with her abundance, with her goodness. This is what we want to share with you at Kipos: cooking from the memory of my heart. Kalos Oresate (welcome) to our home. Love, Giorgios Bakatsias
Reviewed 13 August 2018

We stumbled upon Kipos after deciding not to wait in the excessively long and hot outdoor line for the nearby recently-declared "best burger in the country" place. We wandered down Franklin Street a block and decided to try Kipos. So glad we did! I had the lamb burger with fries. Both were delicious, but the fries were especially great, certainly the BEST fries I've ever had: a totally unique rough and crunchy outer texture, soft and creamy inside, perfectly cooked and hot out of the fryer. My husband had the ouzo-cured salmon sandwich which also was very good, though he felt the very good bread used somewhat overwhelmed the salmon. Prior to our entrees we thoroughly enjoyed the Mezze platter which was really top notch. And the lunch prices were fantastic - a genuine bargain - so a really great value overall. We enjoy Greek and Mediterranean food, and Kipos has been a stellar and happy find. We live in neighboring Durham so will definitely be back.

Katherine O, Manager at Kipos Greek Taverna, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2018

Hi Birdwatcher,

So glad you came by for lunch and took the time to write a review! We do love Al's and hope you get to try their burgers too (we personally love the Mookie)! Looking forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed 30 July 2018 via mobile

First time - came for brunch. I had the chicken souvlaki and husband had lamb sandwich. Both were really delicious and the baguette for the sandwiches and pita for the souvlaki were especially tasty. Suggestion: I think adding a bit of feta to the side salad that came with the souvlaki would be tasty, as well. My only negative comments: the top of the baklava was over done - dark just shy of burnt. I removed the top and the rest was fine, and quite delicious. Also, in the Santorini Sunset cocktail, which was quite pretty, we could not taste the elderflower liquor at all. Other than that, we were very satisfied, and enjoyed our window table.

Katherine O, Manager at Kipos Greek Taverna, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2018

Hi MAP1080,

Thank you for spending your Sunday Brunch with us! We will pass along your constructive comments to the chef and bartender and thank you again for letting us help you start your week!

Reviewed 29 July 2018

It's been a long time since I was that excited by a restaurant meal. Food was very good and the atmosphere was very comfortable. Service was a little slow, but the place was pretty busy. Will definitely be gong back

Hi Keith,

Wow! We are so thrilled to hear of your experience! Thank you for taking the time to review us! We hope to see you back again soon!

Reviewed 28 July 2018 via mobile

I had the Greek lasagna (passticio?). Run by Greeks, head chef is Greek, people eating with me and around were Greek...after the best Greek meal in the world I honor Kipos with the fabled May Emblem. I know I know. I haven't awarded this in a while but Kipos derserves it. Highly recommend Kipos. Love the atmosphere, food and Greek people!

Hi Andrew,

We are grateful for such a high award! May we ask what the "May Emblem" is?

Thank you again to everyone who nominated us and believed in us! We are grateful! (;

Reviewed 19 July 2018 via mobile

We are a Greek family from Dallas who know good Greek food when we see it and are accustomed to home cooking. Kipos was the best. Period. Just blown away by the quality of the food, the hospitality, & warmth of the atmosphere of the place. Please go, you will not be disappointed! 10/10. :)

Katherine O, Manager at Kipos Greek Taverna, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2018

Hi Thessaloniki28,

We are delighted that you enjoyed your meal with us and look forward to hosting you all again soon!

Best