Only 7 minutes by car, using the back door route, from the rent-a-car lots and near the fight path of Charlotte Airport, this is a good overnight hotel. Located right next to I-85and Little Rock Rd. it’s easy to get to and had enough amenities that should take of the business or couples travelers [with a rental car] who have a morning departure or late evening arrival.
The rooms are quite large, the bed comfortable [although our king bed was shove very close to the wall & A/C unit], lighting was a little dim for the room size, microwave, a fair sized refrigerator, an average good sized bath and an A/C that can grow icicles on the walls [always a plus for me as this makes for better sleeping than a toss and turn warm room]. The pool is really a way over sized very warm Jacuzzi with strong jets and there is a small exercise room, with enough equipment to burn off a few calories.
Speaking of calories, you may not have too worry getting to many of them, unless you’re into carry out and fast-food. Get the list of nearby “restaurants” from the front desk, but nearby fine dining is not one of the strong points of this location [hopefully a good sit down restaurant will move into the area]. We ended up driving the local region and then the 15 minutes, via Wilkinson Blvd., into downtown Charlotte finally ending up on the south side of I-277 [where we found two restaurants between South Tyrone and South College crossed by East Bland St.] dining at the "Greek Isle" which I would highly recommend [they also have outdoor tables near the light rail tracks which was fun without the heavy rail freight car noise].
Other positives for the Wingate are:
• A very close gas station for final fill up’s before returning the rental car.
• A free business center to get your boarding passes and other needs
• A good inclusive breakfast, with a “Make your own waffles” station”, they provide the batter in a cup – you pour it in the griddle, flip it over and a couple of minutes later – voila – a fresh warm breakfast, better than a toaster.
Best to request a room in the back of the building as there is a tree line and rear door to the parking lot, it also puts you away from the nearby overpass/highway. Of note: You will get the occasional jet passing right over head of the hotel, but we only notice this a couple of times in our top floor room and that was on the odd path where I could see the plane looking up & out the window.
Note: “Map location”, as of this review, puts the hotel on the wrong side of the highway. The Wingate is on the north side of the I-85 on Business Center Drive.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Wingate by Wyndham Charlotte Airport I85 - I485 is the perfect launching point from Charlotte Douglas International Airport (CLT) as one of the closest hotels to the airport at only 1.4 miles. Begin your pleasures in the heart of Charlotte at only 6 miles. Two complimentary shuttle buses are available for pick up and drop off at the Airport and within a 5 mile radius of our hotel. For your extended travel plans book our Park & Fly for long-term parking and curbside Airport drop off. While staying with us request an Uber and be sure to visit Uptown Charlotte to see our NFC Champions Carolina Panthers at Bank of America Stadium, the Charlotte Hornets at Spectrum Arena/Timewarner Cable Arena a popular basketball and concert venue, or Charlotte's new Charlotte Knights BB&T Stadium. Neighboring the Wingate by Wyndham Charlotte Airport I85 - I485 is the US National Whitewater Center and the infamous Miracle on the Hudson at the Carolinas Aviation Museum. Follow the life of Billy Graham at the Billy Graham Library. For our golf enthusiast you may be excited to know we will soon welcome the country's popular Top Golf complex in early 2017. Families might also enjoy a day at Carowinds Amusement Park, Discovery Place, NASCAR Hall of Fame or Charlotte Motor Speedway. We love our military and support Charlotte's growing Air & Army National Guard, be sure to inquire about our Government rates. Business guests appreciate our multiple meeting spaces, Wyndham Rewards and our proximity to restaurant's within walking distance or availability through our complimentary shuttle service. Our hotel provides free Wi-Fi and our Business Center is open 24 hours. Do not forget as you enjoy these amenities that you are also welcome to enjoy our private Fitness Center and coming early 2017 our new indoor and outdoor lounge complete with Food & Beverage options. We look forward to welcoming you! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia and HotelQuickly so you can book your Wingate By Wyndham Charlotte Airport I-85 / I-485 reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Wingate By Wyndham Charlotte Airport Hotel Charlotte
- Wingate Charlotte Airport
- Wyndham Charlotte
- Charlotte Wyndham