“A good -nearby- airport hotel”

Wingate By Wyndham Charlotte Airport I-85 / I-485
Ranked #59 of 178 Hotels in Charlotte
Reviewed 2 October 2007

Only 7 minutes by car, using the back door route, from the rent-a-car lots and near the fight path of Charlotte Airport, this is a good overnight hotel. Located right next to I-85and Little Rock Rd. it’s easy to get to and had enough amenities that should take of the business or couples travelers [with a rental car] who have a morning departure or late evening arrival.
The rooms are quite large, the bed comfortable [although our king bed was shove very close to the wall & A/C unit], lighting was a little dim for the room size, microwave, a fair sized refrigerator, an average good sized bath and an A/C that can grow icicles on the walls [always a plus for me as this makes for better sleeping than a toss and turn warm room]. The pool is really a way over sized very warm Jacuzzi with strong jets and there is a small exercise room, with enough equipment to burn off a few calories.
Speaking of calories, you may not have too worry getting to many of them, unless you’re into carry out and fast-food. Get the list of nearby “restaurants” from the front desk, but nearby fine dining is not one of the strong points of this location [hopefully a good sit down restaurant will move into the area]. We ended up driving the local region and then the 15 minutes, via Wilkinson Blvd., into downtown Charlotte finally ending up on the south side of I-277 [where we found two restaurants between South Tyrone and South College crossed by East Bland St.] dining at the "Greek Isle" which I would highly recommend [they also have outdoor tables near the light rail tracks which was fun without the heavy rail freight car noise].
Other positives for the Wingate are:
• A very close gas station for final fill up’s before returning the rental car.
• A free business center to get your boarding passes and other needs
• A good inclusive breakfast, with a “Make your own waffles” station”, they provide the batter in a cup – you pour it in the griddle, flip it over and a couple of minutes later – voila – a fresh warm breakfast, better than a toaster.
Best to request a room in the back of the building as there is a tree line and rear door to the parking lot, it also puts you away from the nearby overpass/highway. Of note: You will get the occasional jet passing right over head of the hotel, but we only notice this a couple of times in our top floor room and that was on the odd path where I could see the plane looking up & out the window.
Note: “Map location”, as of this review, puts the hotel on the wrong side of the highway. The Wingate is on the north side of the I-85 on Business Center Drive.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Wingate By Wyndham Charlotte Airport I-85 / I-485

Reviewed 11 September 2007

We stayed here before flying out of Charlotte. The room was spacious, bed comfortable, and clean. For the money, you can't beat the location. Would stay here again!

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 August 2007

Just a place to lay my head after a serious jaunt from Ireland via Canada. Lobby stinks of chlorine, ( I spied a tiny plungepool off lobby, must be chlorine only) And the staff moved in slow southern motion. In fact I think they were napping when we arrived. Part of the southern charm I guess but we were exhausted. Room was much nicer than I expected after a dodgy start.
Quiet room despite the hotel being full to capacity. Can't comment on breakfast. Didn't notice.

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kittenbear
Reviewed 25 July 2007

I read other reviews about the hotel and decided this would be fine for us since we were staying for a training class. All in all it is a very nice hotel with very spacious rooms. The attached photos were how the room was when I first walked in. Right around the hotel there's not a lot of places to eat but just down the road a few miles away there is more than enough to choose from.

This hotel is directly off I-85 at Exit 32 which is extremely convenient. You can be in downtown Charlotte when there is no traffic in about 7 or 8 minutes. The staff was very friendly to me. The hotel is only about 2 miles from the airport which is great for travelers staying for short periods of time. The only downside that I can see to this hotel is there is not a lot of parking available. Other than that I'd give the Wingate an "A".

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 May 2007

A coworker and myself stayed in this hotel for three nights. While he was able to get a non-smoking room, I was not so lucky. Very popular hotel with business travelers. The place was packed every night to the point where no more parking stalls were available in the evening and throughout the night.

Other than the strong cigarrette smell, the room was very clean and in great shape overall, with lots of room and free high-speed internet. Breakfast service was run-of-the-mill, and so was front desk service. The area around the hotel only has a few fast food restaurants (avoid Shoney's...the food was awful) and a small, shoddy-looking supermarket, so plan on driving out of the area for all your meals.

Cons:
-The windows in the room did not open; fixed glass throughout
-It is not really "at the airport", but over 1.5 miles away
-No swimming pool, only a small jacuzzi next to the main lobby

However, I would stay there again if on business.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled on business
1  Thank LatinOnTheGo