“Pleasantly surprised”

Fred Chason's Grandsons of Dunn
Ranked #10 of 59 Restaurants in Dunn
Reviewed 21 November 2017 via mobile

My son had told me about this restaurant and I was kind of hesitant to go. Glad we went, even picky eaters in the family enjoyed it. You can ask the waitress for freshly fried food. I got a small order of fried okra , fried shrimp and fried flounder. It was enough for two people. There’s lots of food warm and cold and a nice salad bar. For the price it cannot be beat. I will be going back the next time I am in the area.

Date of visit: November 2017

Reviewed 16 November 2017

We had seen the restaurant and kept passing it by going to and from Myrtle Beach. Finally we stopped on the way home. When we walked in I thought we'd made a horrible mistake as the buffet looked too small and the restaurant is pretty Plain Jane. However, when we filled our plates, we were pleasantly surprised how good the food was compared with what were expecting. Everything was very hot/cold accordingly, the flavor was great in the fried chicken and beans, mashed potatoes, etc. The desserts were good, too! The bathrooms were super clean and the service was friendly and flawless. I would definitely go to Grandsons again.

Date of visit: October 2017
2  Thank kendallc-h
Reviewed 19 October 2017 via mobile

Grandsons in Dunn has an excellent buffet as well as excellent employees and owners. They have a wide selection of vegetables and meat along with soups, a salad bar and desserts. A plus is you can request almost all of the fried foods to be cooked fresh and served to your table! Great southern hospitality! My only complaint is I miss Sherry. She was always visiting every table making sure every customer was having a great meal. The also have the best SWEET Tea!

Date of visit: October 2017
Reviewed 20 August 2017 via mobile

This was my wife and my first time eating at this establishment. The food was hot and plenty southern flair. We entered the establishment a little past 5:30 pm on a Saturday evening. The place wasn't crowded or very busy. Their seemed to be enough space for large groups, individuals and couples. The food was okay, nothing fancy. In my opinion, some of the dishes on the buffet seemed dried out and the flounder to me was watery. The service (wait staff and greeters) were very courteous and professional. The variety of dishes served was outstanding including the main entrees, four types of soups, cakes, pies, cobblers, ice cream and cookies.

Date of visit: August 2017
Reviewed 16 July 2017

My ratings reflect the type of restaurant it is and value - thus the five. My husband and I were starved and needed someplace to eat after attending a family funeral. Per usual I check TripAdvisor for a nearby place and decided to give it a try because we were desperate for some vegetables. Quite frankly when I read it was a buffet we were not expecting much, but we needed to eat and it was close and on the way home so we stopped.

When we walked in I noticed it was huge and set up to handle a lot of people. You pay on your way in. They do give a senior citizens discount if you ask for it, but it is not advertised. We looked over the food. Everything was very clean. Quite frankly there was a lot of items that did not look appealing, but for less than $10, what do you expect.

What absolutely blew us away is that they cook catfish, shrimp, fried squash, and fried okra, deviled crab, and other fried seafood to order. I ordered some of this and had fried chicken which was extremely moist, green beans, a soft roll. It was all delicious. It was really good country cooking. As I said, I was very pleasantly surprised. If it were closer to home, we would definitely go back.

There were a lot of different desserts - red cake, pecan pie, etc. all cut into small slices and wrapped so you didn't feel other people had been handling the food. I really liked the set up, the service and the food.

Date of visit: July 2017
1  Thank angsw72

Been to Fred Chason's Grandsons of Dunn? Share your experiences!