“Good Food”

Cuisines: International
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Anderson
Description: The 100-seat indoor/outdoor Nasher Cafe overlooks the garden and sits adjacent to a Mark Di Suvero sculpture, providing a serene and beautiful ambience. The menu consists of soups, salads, sandwiches, and desserts.
Reviewed 10 February 2013

Had a red, white and green sandwich (tomato, mozzarella and spinach) and it was delicious. Best to call ahead for a reservation as the service was slow.

Reviewed 12 September 2012

Menu rotates with the seasons and it's been amazing every time I've been there. Can sit outside and enjoy the nice weather. Service was excellent, wine/beer list is limited.

Reviewed 6 September 2012

We enjoyed a dinner here after seeing the art. The food is good and uses lots of local ingredients. It is a small menu but what they have is full of variety so you should be able to find something to eat. My panini was a little burnt but not enough to make me send it back. Great wine and beer selection as well. They close at 9pm when the museum closes so get there early enough so you don't feel rushed. The museum's security staff asked is to leave as it was 9pm. We sat indoors because it was quite muggy outside, but they do have patio seating.

Reviewed 31 July 2012

I was a little disappointed with my recent experience at the Nasher Cafe. My Diet Coke was flat (which I mentioned to the waiter, and got a fresh drink), and there was a hair (too short and dark to be my own) in my coconut gelato (which made me decide to stop eating). I did enjoy the veggie sandwich on whole wheat bread and pasta salad side, which were tasty.

The sandwich, soft drink, and gelato set me back $16 plus tip, which was a pricey mid-week lunch. Duke employees can use their employee flex accounts to pay, which is a plus.

That being said, I'll probably give the Nasher Cafe another try later I love the idea of a campus museum with its own cafe, and the atmosphere there was nice.

Reviewed 12 July 2012

The cafe is my favorite place to eat outdoors because the food is good and you look out over an expanse of grass dotted with cool art. Service is usually good, too. I really enjoy brunch on although they don't open until noon on Sundays,

The museum and gift shop are also worth regular visits.
The only down-side (for people over the age of 35) is that Duke students can eat here with the food card. They are always well-behaved, but it's a little disconcerting for someone who ate ramen in college! :-)