“Local ingredients by the forkful”
Review of Watts Grocery

Watts Grocery
Reserve with OpenTable
Watts Grocery is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #47 of 812 Restaurants in Durham
Price range: US$20 - US$25
Cuisines: American, Bar
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Bar Scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Club Blvd
Reviewed 23 April 2017 via mobile

We headed to Durham to cheer at a collegiate track meet and needed to fuel up first. Great exterior and interior setting. We sat at a tall table near the window. Shrimp, cucumber, and avocado bruschetta started things off for us. What it lacked in size it made up for in blackened shrimp flavor! Husband had two starters- beer wedge salad and mac and cheese. Wedge salad a colorful feast for the eyes although he declared to many beets. I had the flounder with farro, roasted tomatoes, something green and crunchy (celery maybe?), and delightful radishes. My fish was moist and tender. Great dishes all around and helpful front and wait staff.

Reviewed 24 February 2017 via mobile

A friend invited me to see Tony Bennett at DPAC and had already made reservations at Watts Grocery for dinner. We arrived a few minutes before they opened at 5:30 and sat outside and enjoyed the ambiance of the city. After being seated, my friend and I were promptly asked for drink orders. Our waiter was very attentive but not annoying. We both ordered the ribeye which came with asparagus and garlic potatoes. My steak was cooked perfectly at medium, but her's was not cooked as well as she would have liked, she ordered well done. I encouraged her to send it back but she said it was fine and decided to keep it. Food was great and came quickly. Our table was close to others and we actually struck up conversations with those on both sides. One side was a father and son headed to see Tony Bennett also. The other table engaged us asking questions about our steaks. Before having dinner I did go to the restroom to wash my hands and there was a prominent sign on the door that said, "We do NOT support HB2! This is not us." The restaurant is decorated with local art and has a beautiful bar that lines one side of the room. Was an enjoyable meal and I will go back next time I am in Durham.

Reviewed 19 February 2017 via mobile

Have been here several times for brunch with family that we thoroughly enjoyed, so I was interested to try their dinner. It surpassed my expectations- I had a pork special that was tender, succulent and very flavorful. Asparagus and rice were wonderfully flavorful accompaniments. Relaxed, congenial and enthusiastic service added to the enjoyment!

Reviewed 2 February 2017

Durham is a city that is blessed with a plethora of great restaurants. Watts Grocery is a gem that adds to this bounty. The food is locally sourced so the menu varies which part of the charm. Our recent meal was outstanding. I recommend the fried oysters for a start, crispy while still being plump and juicy. What more can you ask? We went “old school” with the Angus rib eye steak which was cooked to a medium rare perfection. The sides of asparagus and potatoes complemented the steaks. Do yourself a favor and order desert, it is worth the splurge in calories. We had the blood orange crème brulee and the Tortuga cake. Both were the perfect ending to a great meal. Watts Grocery also has a very good wine list that complements the menu. This restaurant also offers a good array of single malts and cocktails. The staff is friendly and attentive, no details are missed.

1  Thank NBass
Reviewed 30 January 2017

Been to Watts several times now. First time we've made it for Sunday brunch. Chef has a great range of choices on the menu. My wife had the Cobb salad with fried shrimp and I had the Grillades with Grits. Both were superb! Order of churros to along with some Watt's Bloody Marys. Pefect meal! Service staff were attentive and courteous. Highly recommend.

1  Thank David B