“Food is delicious but pricey!!”
Review of Watts Grocery

Watts Grocery
Reserve with OpenTable
Watts Grocery is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #50 of 785 Restaurants in Durham
Price range: US$20 - US$25
Cuisines: American, Bar
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Bar Scene
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Club Blvd
Reviewed 18 July 2017

I've been here 3x and it's always been VERY delicious and fresh, locally sourced. a yummy twist on southern food. the menu is fairly small and rotates so check online before you go!

also it's about $60-70 for 2 people, which is a bit more than I am used to paying! If you can splurge a little, it's worth going to.

Reviewed 11 July 2017

I hadn't eaten at Watts Grocery in quite a number of years. It was a favorite when it first opened and then somehow got pushed off the list. And with all of the new restaurants opening downtown it is easy to forget about Watts Grocery. But you shouldn't. Watts Grocery delivers food that is just as good with less hype and much less pretention. And actually has its own parking lot.
The restaurant, as the name implies, was once a neighborhood grocery store. It is very much updated, but retains an intimate, homey feel. The front of the restaurant has a long comfortable upholstered bench that runs against one wall. There are a number of tables in the bar area, and a few tables outside on the front porch. There is a larger area in the back with more tables. I have only sat in the back area once, but didn't like it. The front seems cozier and livelier. It was very quiet on a Friday night in the summer. There were only a few of us in the restaurant so I can't judge the noise level. But my guess is that it isn't too bad.

There were five of us for dinner and everyone gave it a thumbs up. I didn't taste everything but there were some standout items for me. I ordered the Tea Brined Pork Tenderloin which was outstanding. I ordered it because one of my dining companions remembered it being good from five years ago -- and it is memorably good. I had the Seared Sesame Tuna as an appetizer that I would say was average. Not bad, but pretty much like every other seared tuna dish you've ever had. We ordered several additional sides to share. We had a fried shrimp/calamari/catfish appetizer that was fine. Solid but not amazing. We had the mac n' cheese and were divided in our opinion. It depends how you like your mac n' cheese. I like mine with crunch on top and on the dry side -- this one is rich and creamy. So not to my taste, but others loved it.
Finally we also had the Collard Greens which were really excellent. Lots of southern inspired restaurants serve collard greens and try as I might to like them, they often don't hit home with me, a transplanted Yankee. But these collards had a special sauce -- I don't mean that literally, but the flavoring was different, and they added some tomatoes. It was delicious. Highly recommend.
The service was friendly but could use some fine-tuning. The wait staff definitely did not have a real grasp of the menu. On the other hand she bent over backwards in dividing our bill down to who had what rather than a simple division of five. We were perfectly willing to go the simpler route but she volunteered to divide based on consumption which was unusual and appreciated.
I thought the cost of dinner was very reasonable given the quality. While Watts Grocery is out of the downtown orbit it shouldn't be out of yours. The chef says her restaurant aspires to be a neighborhood restaurant that others can call home -- and I think she has succeeded.

Reviewed 25 June 2017 via mobile

Delicious! Shrimp 'n grits and fried green tomato sandwich yumminess. Small menu but great southern food.

Reviewed 25 May 2017

We met with another couple and had a lovely dinner. We all had different things, and we all loved what we had. The presentation was beautiful too. The wine was also excellent.
BUT something really annoyed us. The waitress had been courteous until the end, when we ordered another glass of wine instead of desert. She almost ignored the request. It was opvious, she just wanted us to leave, so she could get home. This was a Saturday night, and just one other table in the whole restaurant was occupied and it was not even 10 o'clock. The staff was just ready to go home, I guess.
Well, the food was so good and yummy, that we will go back and see, if this service situation was an isolated event.

Reviewed 22 May 2017 via mobile

I have a sensitivity to onions and must avoid them. I've visited twice now and asked for advice on what to order. They always answer that they can avoid them in what I choose. Both times they returned significantly later with "not this and not that" and I get something substituted. I'm sure what I get isn't as delicious as what The original dish was, though it was very good. For the price, I would expect a better understanding of the menu, or at least for the server to go ask the chef for a recommendation.