“Great Dinner for party of 14”
Review of Watts Grocery

Watts Grocery
Reserve with OpenTable
Watts Grocery is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #55 of 786 Restaurants in Durham
Price range: US$20 - US$25
Cuisines: American, Bar
Good for: Bar Scene, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Club Blvd
Reviewed 5 September 2017

The private room that we had our dinner party needs a serious upgrade. It was very hard to hear conversations even across the table.

The food was very good and we all ordered from the menu. They allow special requests which added to the experience for those of us from the West Coast that don't get some of the items on the menu.

Reviewed 28 August 2017

My wife and I went to this restaurant for dinner yesterday. We were seated promptly, and our server showed up quickly. My wife and I both ordered cocktails. It took FOREVER to get our drinks. At one point the server came over to take our order, and she said "I'm still waiting for your drinks", to which I replied "So are we" in a mildly annoyed tone. We waited and waited, and then our appetizer arrived. So did our drinks, finally. We were leisurely sharing an appetizer when our entrees arrived! The food came too fast, the drinks WAY too slow.

To be fair, once they arrived the drinks were excellent, as was the appetizer. My wife RAVED about her entree, the crabmeat-stuffed flounder. My steak was just OK -- a lot of gristle and kind of salty, but not terrible. On the basis of the food, I'd give this place a 5, but they need to hire a competent bartender, or ideally a second bartender, to improve their bar service.

Reviewed 13 August 2017

Probably fourth visit to Watts, so it is time I got around to writing a review. First time for brunch, which had a lot of great choices. Recommend the flying pepper bloody mary if you like pepper. The fried chicken on an open faced biscuit with sausage gravy was very good, and my wife enjoyed the fried shrimp cobb salad. Anna was an excellent waitress, and the staff was very friendly. We have enjoyed all of our visits.

Reviewed 18 July 2017

I've been here 3x and it's always been VERY delicious and fresh, locally sourced. a yummy twist on southern food. the menu is fairly small and rotates so check online before you go!

also it's about $60-70 for 2 people, which is a bit more than I am used to paying! If you can splurge a little, it's worth going to.

Reviewed 11 July 2017

I hadn't eaten at Watts Grocery in quite a number of years. It was a favorite when it first opened and then somehow got pushed off the list. And with all of the new restaurants opening downtown it is easy to forget about Watts Grocery. But you shouldn't. Watts Grocery delivers food that is just as good with less hype and much less pretention. And actually has its own parking lot.
The restaurant, as the name implies, was once a neighborhood grocery store. It is very much updated, but retains an intimate, homey feel. The front of the restaurant has a long comfortable upholstered bench that runs against one wall. There are a number of tables in the bar area, and a few tables outside on the front porch. There is a larger area in the back with more tables. I have only sat in the back area once, but didn't like it. The front seems cozier and livelier. It was very quiet on a Friday night in the summer. There were only a few of us in the restaurant so I can't judge the noise level. But my guess is that it isn't too bad.

There were five of us for dinner and everyone gave it a thumbs up. I didn't taste everything but there were some standout items for me. I ordered the Tea Brined Pork Tenderloin which was outstanding. I ordered it because one of my dining companions remembered it being good from five years ago -- and it is memorably good. I had the Seared Sesame Tuna as an appetizer that I would say was average. Not bad, but pretty much like every other seared tuna dish you've ever had. We ordered several additional sides to share. We had a fried shrimp/calamari/catfish appetizer that was fine. Solid but not amazing. We had the mac n' cheese and were divided in our opinion. It depends how you like your mac n' cheese. I like mine with crunch on top and on the dry side -- this one is rich and creamy. So not to my taste, but others loved it.
Finally we also had the Collard Greens which were really excellent. Lots of southern inspired restaurants serve collard greens and try as I might to like them, they often don't hit home with me, a transplanted Yankee. But these collards had a special sauce -- I don't mean that literally, but the flavoring was different, and they added some tomatoes. It was delicious. Highly recommend.
The service was friendly but could use some fine-tuning. The wait staff definitely did not have a real grasp of the menu. On the other hand she bent over backwards in dividing our bill down to who had what rather than a simple division of five. We were perfectly willing to go the simpler route but she volunteered to divide based on consumption which was unusual and appreciated.
I thought the cost of dinner was very reasonable given the quality. While Watts Grocery is out of the downtown orbit it shouldn't be out of yours. The chef says her restaurant aspires to be a neighborhood restaurant that others can call home -- and I think she has succeeded.