“Disappointed with bait and switch”
Review of Taco Bell

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Taco Bell
Ranked #168 of 245 Restaurants in Gastonia
Reviewed 1 July 2016

During the NBA Finals several Taco Bell commercials trumpeted the "Steal a Game, Steal a Taco" promotion which promised a free taco to everyone in America if a visiting team "stole" a game and won on road. Since the Warriors "stole" game 4 (and of course the Cavaliers "stole" the Championship on the road in Game 7), every one in America was eligible for a free Doritos Locos Taco from between 2pm and 6pm on June 21st.

I was watching Game 1 with my youngest children, 6 year old twins and a 9 year old, when they first saw the commmercial for this promotion. They were intrigued by this and kept checking in during the series to see if the visiting team won a game. So they were quite excited when Golden State won Game 4. When the day came to get our free taco, we were on vacation in North Carolina. We had just visited a museum in Gastonia and it was a good time for us to get a snack as we were between lunch and dinner, so we stopped in at the Taco Bell on E Franklin Blvd. There were 8 of us in all, and I went in first while my wife and children were getting out of the van. I ordered a Nachos Grande to have a little more for us to share with our free tacos, and asked for my free taco, which they provided (a "plain" taco, however, not the Doritos Locos Taco as advertised).

But when the rest of my crew came in and asked for their free tacos, the cashier said everyone had to make a purchase. On the Taco Bell website, however, it very clearly states "NO PURCHASE NECESSARY." So I figured she just wasn't familiar with the promotion and asked for the manager, but the manager said the same thing, each person had to buy something. Well, that is not "free." And it was directly in opposition to the stated conditions on the Taco Bell website.

If they had promoted Buy One, Get one Free, I would not have been so upset. But Yum! Brands heavily promoted this free give-away throughout the finals, yet when it came time to pay off, they didn't come through. So instead of a fun, positive experience, and good will toward Taco Bell, we instead had a very negative experience.

Reviewed 21 April 2016

Love the am crunch wraps and I can swing in and pick up in seconds, very fast when you are in a hurry for work!

Been to Taco Bell? Share your experiences!