New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #2 of 19 Hotels in Kill Devil Hills
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
“Shutters is AWESOME!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2012

This review is long overdue, pretty much on account of me just being lazy and putting it off. Over the summer we (me, my wife and two children) stayed at Shutters for a weekend, we always go down to Kill Devil Hills for a week and rent a house but wanted another couple days later in the summer and chose Shutters based on the reviews here on Trip Advisor. So we rolled down Saturday morning and went to attempt an early check-in. No rooms ready to go yet, but we were told go ahead and park, hit the beach and they would call us as soon as a room was open. So we did, and they called us when we were okay to check-in. I went to get the car from up front and drive to our room and the car wouldn't start. Now let me preface this by saying that this is a new OBX tradition...last summer our car battery died on us while we were down there, and here we were again. I went to the office and asked if maintenance could possibly give us a jump start, they said no problem and 5 minutes later we were jumped and I was off to get our battery tested. It checked out so we were back in action. The battery crapped out that night AGAIN and they gave me another jump so I could go and get a new battery and be done with the nonsense. That's the first thing I wanted to mention, they were so damn accomodating and helped save us a massive amount of headache...pretty much they salvaged my sanity and kept the weekend from being ruined.

Now on to the rest...the room we stayed in (ground floor behind the dunes) was very nice, clean, comfortable, everything we could ask for. Nothing overly-fancy, but we're not overly-fancy so it was perfect. It was nice having the patio area in the back with a couple of chairs to kick back and relax in the evening, and the shutters on the windows are really cool. We slept like champs and the boardwalk leading to the beach made it super easy to get there and back. The pools are great too. Saturday we spent 6 hours on the beach and my kids still wanted more water in the evening, so we hit the outdoor pool until it got dark then moved to the indoor pool. Sunday morning we had a good breakfast there in the office, good selection of stuff and we grubbed real good before we had to get on the road for home.

I just really cannot stress enough what a great experience it was down at Shutters last summer. We will be going as usual for a week and renting a house this summer, but I'm pretty confident we'll be down one or hopefully two weekends on top of that, staying at Shutters. We had previously stayed at the Mariner or the Travelodge when we did one or two day runs down there, but Shutters has got our business without a doubt now. Another nice bonus is being right next to the beach shop so you can get whatever you need right there, pretty damn convenient. I'm rambling so I'll cut it...Shutters staff, if you read this thank you very much and tell the maintenence guy who's a Giants fan good luck against the 49ers this weekend!

Mike Mayer
StreetTeamDC@gmail.com

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank STDC-Mike

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (273)
Simpson, WV
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2012

My husband and I stayed at Shutters over New Year's. The view was beautiful. It was wonderful to be able to wake up on New Year's Eve and walk out the door onto the beach. The staff were pleasant and the room was clean and comfortable. The only negative comment I have was the breakfast but with many restaurants in the vicinity it didn't matter. We would stay again if we are there during the off season (we rent a house in the summer).

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank CrystalD68
Newport News, VA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2012

My hubby and I stayed at Shutters for the first time in a few years this past November. Our experience this time was just as pleasant as the last. The bed was comfy and it was just warm enough for us to leave the back door open to the balcony and listed to the ocean - so relaxing! Everyone at the hotel was polite and helpful. They let us get the return visit discount; even though it had been almost 6 years since we had last stayed! It was the weekend of the marathon we went so they were pretty much booked up, and it was probably because they had the best rates on the beach! I will definately stay again!

Room Tip: Get an oceanfront room in the tower building. You can open up the door to a private balcony & li...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank emily51402
Elizabethtown, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2012

We loved everything about this place. The girl at the front deck, the pool, the hot tub, the view of the ocean, the room and the off season price for an ocean view room. This place is well kept and super clean! If we go back to the Outer Banks, we will stay at Shutters!!!!

Room Tip: Third floor and higher for ocean view.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2011

We've stayed at this hotel twice. Once with two kids and once with four. Each time, the staff was friendly and helpful. The rooms were also clean. The indoor pool was a big plus as was the price!

I was really happy that they had a fitness room, but the equipment was a little outdated and one of the times we stayed there there was water leaking from an air conditioning vent in the ceiling of the fitness room.

The complimentary breakfast was average for a hotel, but considering the price, I can't complain.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
Sea Ranch Resort
#1 of 19 in Kill Devil Hills
0.3 km away
Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanfront - Wilbur
Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanf...
#4 of 19 in Kill Devil Hills
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,099 reviews
0.8 km away
Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devil Hills
Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devi...
#5 of 19 in Kill Devil Hills
BEST WESTERN Ocean Reef Suites
#3 of 19 in Kill Devil Hills
11.0 km away
Hilton Garden Inn Outer Banks/Kitty Hawk

Been to Shutters on the Banks? Share your experiences!