“Awesome Weekend”

Shutters On the Banks
Ranked #2 of 18 Hotels in Kill Devil Hills
Reviewed 20 February 2012

We stayed at Shutters this past weekend 2/17 - 2/19/12 and was absolutely thrilled with Shutters. We are long time visitors to the OBX and have stayed at different hotels in the past and was very pleased with the prices and also the room. The staff was awesome and friendly and i will definitely stay there again and refer my friends. thanks Shutters on the Banks for a wonderful weekend!!!

Room Tip: higher floors ie: 3 or 4 in the tower for an oceanview...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Becky M

Reviewed 23 January 2012

Tripadvisor reviews led us to stay at Shutters on the Banks & it lived up to the hype! First impressions are everything and the customer service I got when I called to make reservations was excellent! I definitely would advise to make phone reservations instead of booking them yourself online because it sure saved us money. We heeded advice by staying in the tower on the 4th floor and the views were gorgeous! Impressed by the size of the room and amenities (King bed, sofa, flat screen TV, desk, microwave & fridge). While I forgot my swimsuit at home, my other half did enjoy the heated indoor pool. Although many restaurants and things were closed for the Winter the location of Shutters was great. Very short drives to food, grocery store, and the Wright Brothers Monument. Would stay here again!

Room Tip: Choose the 4th floor of the tower for the best beach & oceanview!
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Sphinx130
Reviewed 18 January 2012

This review is long overdue, pretty much on account of me just being lazy and putting it off. Over the summer we (me, my wife and two children) stayed at Shutters for a weekend, we always go down to Kill Devil Hills for a week and rent a house but wanted another couple days later in the summer and chose Shutters based on the reviews here on Trip Advisor. So we rolled down Saturday morning and went to attempt an early check-in. No rooms ready to go yet, but we were told go ahead and park, hit the beach and they would call us as soon as a room was open. So we did, and they called us when we were okay to check-in. I went to get the car from up front and drive to our room and the car wouldn't start. Now let me preface this by saying that this is a new OBX tradition...last summer our car battery died on us while we were down there, and here we were again. I went to the office and asked if maintenance could possibly give us a jump start, they said no problem and 5 minutes later we were jumped and I was off to get our battery tested. It checked out so we were back in action. The battery crapped out that night AGAIN and they gave me another jump so I could go and get a new battery and be done with the nonsense. That's the first thing I wanted to mention, they were so damn accomodating and helped save us a massive amount of headache...pretty much they salvaged my sanity and kept the weekend from being ruined.

Now on to the rest...the room we stayed in (ground floor behind the dunes) was very nice, clean, comfortable, everything we could ask for. Nothing overly-fancy, but we're not overly-fancy so it was perfect. It was nice having the patio area in the back with a couple of chairs to kick back and relax in the evening, and the shutters on the windows are really cool. We slept like champs and the boardwalk leading to the beach made it super easy to get there and back. The pools are great too. Saturday we spent 6 hours on the beach and my kids still wanted more water in the evening, so we hit the outdoor pool until it got dark then moved to the indoor pool. Sunday morning we had a good breakfast there in the office, good selection of stuff and we grubbed real good before we had to get on the road for home.

I just really cannot stress enough what a great experience it was down at Shutters last summer. We will be going as usual for a week and renting a house this summer, but I'm pretty confident we'll be down one or hopefully two weekends on top of that, staying at Shutters. We had previously stayed at the Mariner or the Travelodge when we did one or two day runs down there, but Shutters has got our business without a doubt now. Another nice bonus is being right next to the beach shop so you can get whatever you need right there, pretty damn convenient. I'm rambling so I'll cut it...Shutters staff, if you read this thank you very much and tell the maintenence guy who's a Giants fan good luck against the 49ers this weekend!

Mike Mayer
StreetTeamDC@gmail.com

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank STDC-Mike
Reviewed 11 January 2012

My husband and I stayed at Shutters over New Year's. The view was beautiful. It was wonderful to be able to wake up on New Year's Eve and walk out the door onto the beach. The staff were pleasant and the room was clean and comfortable. The only negative comment I have was the breakfast but with many restaurants in the vicinity it didn't matter. We would stay again if we are there during the off season (we rent a house in the summer).

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank CrystalD68
Reviewed 10 January 2012

My hubby and I stayed at Shutters for the first time in a few years this past November. Our experience this time was just as pleasant as the last. The bed was comfy and it was just warm enough for us to leave the back door open to the balcony and listed to the ocean - so relaxing! Everyone at the hotel was polite and helpful. They let us get the return visit discount; even though it had been almost 6 years since we had last stayed! It was the weekend of the marathon we went so they were pretty much booked up, and it was probably because they had the best rates on the beach! I will definately stay again!

Room Tip: Get an oceanfront room in the tower building. You can open up the door to a private balcony & li...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
11.0 km away
Hilton Garden Inn Outer Banks/Kitty Hawk
0.9 km away
Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devil Hills
Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devi...
#5 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
8.4 km away
Holiday Inn Express Nags Head Oceanfront
1.7 km away
Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfront
Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfron...
#6 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
0.2 km away
Best Western Ocean Reef Suites
Best Western Ocean Reef Suites
#3 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills

Been to Shutters On the Banks? Share your experiences!