“Great visit”

Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 18 November 2017 via mobile

First time I set in the new section to the left. Had the tenderloin, it was perfectly cooked and melted in your mouth. The potatoes were good and the green beans were good. Waitress was fantastic, Kathryn. Prices are a little high for Morganton but the food and service is great. The restaurant needs better seats and not so crowded, but well worth the trip. Enjoy

Reviewed 13 November 2017

Found this place by accident and glad we did. Stopped in with friends for lunch. It was great. First, the craft beer menu was very good. We all had a different dish. Two had the pizzas and thought they were good. I had the salmon BLT, it was was exceptional. If you are in the area, and looking for lunch, look no further than Root and Vine.

Reviewed 31 October 2017

We were here last weekend and enjoyed a wonderful meal. My husband had the salmon and I had the duck. Both were delicious and cooked to perfection. I highly recommend this place.

Reviewed 24 October 2017

If it is all about the food, this a place you'll want to check out, for sure. However, if the entire dining experience (service, ambiance, and value) has import for you, all that you seek will not be here, it certainly wasn't for us.

When we arrived, shortly before 6 PM, the place was already somewhat busy - the majority of the bar area was filled, as much dining as drinking, and the dining area to the right of entrance (where we were directed), was 1/4 full, and filling. We were shown to a minuscule table for 2 - about half again as big as a chess board - after having to move things around over and over again as the meal progressed, I've vowed not to accept such a table again, I'll leave!

Though we were seated promptly, everything after that was slow, slower, and knee jerk reaction. Took 10 minutes to get our drinks, another 10 minutes to have our orders taken (our waiter and another on the floor were having a long discussion with a "manager"? while we sat and waited - these things should be dealt with before you open the doors - we're here to dine, not watch a staff meeting!

We ordered Grilled Octopus (a new menu item), PEI Mussels (prepared differently from the previous menu item ), Duck Breast (also new to the menu), and Pan Seared Scallops - and we ask that a selected glass of red wine and a refill of my cocktail be served with the entrees.

The apps were out quickly relatively to how things had progressed to that point, and both were excellent. The Octopus was a large tentacle, a bit charred at the "small" end, rather chewy, but with a very nice taste. It was served with a small amount of capers, fingerling potatoes, crumbled chorizo, and a smoked paprika, parsley oil.

Great flavor combinations, but for our tastes, it needed salt, but none was on the table - took another 10 minutes to secure a small bowl, as the dish grew cold. Put salt and pepper on the table, as long as I'm paying, I'll determine how much of those seasonings are right for me!

The PEI Mussels were served in an amazing broth composed of anchor beer, onions, garlic, herbs, bell peppers, and sliced baguette. The portion was huge, the mussels were tender, and the overall dish was as good as I've tasted, and we order this particular dish a lot! Dipping the sliced baguette in the broth was sublime!

The entrees rolled out in a timely fashioned, and our wine order and cocktail refill we were promised took 15 minutes, and the entrees were beyond winding down! The Duck Breast was tasty, but more than a little chewy, would not order again!

The Scallop entree was exceptional - they were well sized, perfectly seared with a nice outside crust, and served on an amazing cauliflower puree that exploded with flavor - but at $30 were a bit over priced for 5 scallops.

As I said, the food here, on the whole, is incredibly well done, with a great combination of herbs and spices, freshness, creativity - BUT, the overall experience was not one we'd repeat. The slow, unfocused service (wherever it originated), the miserable table setup, and the overall loudness of the place trumped the quality of the food - a shame, but dining is about more than just consuming food!

Reviewed 21 October 2017 via mobile

Enjoyed the chicken pasta dish, much like fettuccine but oh so much better, paied it with a pink lady cocktail.