Surf Side Hotel
Colonial Inn(Nags Head)
US$89
US$84
Comfort Inn South Oceanfront(Nags Head)(Great Value!)
US$118
US$136
Owens' Motel(Nags Head)
US$68
  • Beachfront
Blue Heron Motel(Nags Head)
1,700 results
All reviewssouth buildingmain buildingocean frontthe outer banksoutdoor poolloft roomcontinental breakfastlemon waterwafflescomplimentary winefresh fruithard boiled eggshappy hourocean view roomwonderful hoteloff seasonquiche
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 1 April 2012

My husband and I wanted to take a quick trip with our two-year-old son before the birth of our daughter in a few months. Nags Head was perfect because it's the closest city on the OBX to our home near Raleigh. We chose Surf Side because of its location, good reviews, and reasonable rates.

The front desk was personable upon check-in and made sure we were aware of their continental breakfast and wine socials. We didn't take advantage of those because this pregnant woman needed a Duck Donut fix and wine is frowned upon during pregnancy. After my son refused a nap, I briefly considered offering him a glass of wine - but again, societal pressures frown upon drugging your children so we simply did not attend the wine social. It looked lovely, however.

The room itself was a two queen-bed, oceanfront room. It was indeed ocean front and I'm listening to the beautiful crashing of the waves right now as I lay awake on our last night because the fetus I am carrying has decided 4AM is a perfect time for Zumba in my womb. The room is clean, well-cared for, the balcony is solidly-constructed with two wooden rockers, a small table and a tiny can with sand for smokers that, by the grace of God, my son never discovered and attempted to play with. It is a very good-sized room although the bathroom is hard to maneuver in, but as a weeble-wobble pregnant woman, perhaps I am biased on that topic. The shower and toilet are a little aged with scrapes and small, non-offensive stains. Nothing to keep me from coming back, though.

The outdoor pool area is clean, but small. The indoor pool area was clean but there were three tweenish girls running around splashing when the three of us decided to take a dip. As a former school teacher, I know it takes about eight seconds for tweens to trash a room, so I am thinking the pool area probably looks nicer on normal occasions.

Overall, I think the most important thing to remember about a hotel like this is you are not at Sandals/Beaches (aka, over-priced resorts for people without imaginations). This is the OBX and the sea air is harsh. This hotel has been through major hurricanes. They take great care of the property. I don't know when we will return to the area, but I could definitely see us staying here again. I am glad I trusted the Trip Advisor for this one, I haven't been disappointed.

• Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank Heatherstao
SEABOARDHOTELS, Owner at Surf Side Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2012

It is not often that I chuckle out loud while reading a Tripadvisor review of one of our hotels but you have made it happen with your review! I should hire you to write our web site content. Sorry you were unable to enjoy the wine social and I appreciate you not allowing your little one to indulge, though with four little ones of my own... I understand the thought. :) You have offered a wonderful review and I am grateful for your kind words and honest opinions. We work hard to present a clean well maintained property and it is nice when a guest notices how well we are doing considering the extreme environment that the building sits within. Sea air, salt water, and wind are incredibly destructive forces. I wish you well with the birth of your next child and hope you will have a chance to travel with the new family member in the not too distant future back to the Surf Side. I assure you we will continue to work hard to deliver an ever better hotel experience than you enjoyed during this stay. Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to share your thoughts, it is most sincerely appreictaed.

Reviewed 30 March 2012

great rooms, friendly staff, awesome location, cont. breakfast is also excellent.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Luke W
SEABOARDHOTELS, Owner at Surf Side Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2012

This is a Pure OBX review, short and sweet, with no fuss. I love it! The Outer Banks are all about slowing down, taking it easy and enjoying what surrounds you. Thank you for the review and for choosing to stay with us, both are sincerely appreciated. I hope to have you as our guest again in the near future.

Reviewed 30 March 2012

My husband and I came to the Outer Banks for my birthday. We have been coming here and staying in rental homes for the past 20 years. Never stayed in a hotel and decided that just the two of us would travel here from Annapolis, Maryland for three nights. Being an ocean front hotel I had reservations because I have stayed in ocean front hotels in Ocean City, Maryland and have found them to be dirty, moldy, just not what you would expect from a high priced hotel, due to being oceanfront. We were surprised. First of all the price could not be beat. Surf Side was clean, well maintained, the staff was very nice, from the telephone call to make the reservation to our check out time. The room was great. We had a ocean front room on the second floor. The room was a nice size, two queen beds, sleep sofa, chair with an ottoman, a table for two, etc. As a added touch there were nice rocking chairs on the private balcony. We had great weather and each night what a wonderful experience to leave the screen door on the sliding door (yes, there was a screen sliding door) open and fall asleep listening to the ocean. I cannot say enough good things about this hotel, this location and this time of year. You will be seeing us again, we are hooked.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Hollydeb

You have described every facet we work so hard to achieve so I am extremely grateful to you for writing this review to describe your experience while staying with us. Our housekeeping and maintenace staff work hard at making sure the issues that arise from being 100 yards from the ocean do not make bad impressions on our guests. Our staff deserves a great deal of credit for keeping the hotel in such awesome shape, I am extremely grateful to them for being team players. We strive to offer an exceptional hotel stay in an fantastic location but deliver it at a fair rate. We know we could charge more for our rooms compared to our competitors but we want our guests to see the value we present which will hopefully have them returning again and again. Thank you very much for the kind words. I am elated that you enjoyed your stay so much and we will look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 23 March 2012

This was my first time stay here. I found it here on Trip Advisor and very glad I did. There were 3 of us, me being the 3rd wheel. We stayed in one of their loft rooms on the poolside/ oceanview rooms. There was a king bed downstairs and a queen sized upstairs in the loft. There was a sofa, chair, microwave, fridge and big flat screen tv downstairs, no tv upstairs. We were there in mid-March which is usually still pretty cool but this has been a "warmer than normal" time so it was around upper 70's - 80 degrees. There was a floor fan up in the loft which was really needed since it was pretty warm up there. It would be really nice if there was a ceiling fan up there. We enjoyed the wine and crackers at 4:00 and breakfast which consisted of cereal, toast/bagels/waffles, instant oatmeal, boiled eggs, fruit, juice and coffee. The desk people were nice but for our second night we got 2 different prices from 2 different people, $20 difference. I would definitely stay here again. The reason I left 4* instead of 5* is I very seldom leave 5* unless everything is perfection and this place was close except for the loft being quite warm and the bed pillows. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank CHold

Thank you for taking the time to review the Surf Side and for sharing your experience with others looking to stay with us. It is great to read reviews of guests that chose us due to our #1 ranking on Tripadvisor and then enjoy the experience they would expect due to the reviews. I appreciate your review and understand your concerns about the loft. We will work on improving the temperature in those rooms. I hope you will have another chance to stay with us in the future. Thanks again.

Reviewed 18 March 2012

My husband and I stayed at Surf Side for our 15th anniversary in March 2012. We have stayed at pretty much every hotel in Nags Head and this was our favorite. Very clean, great staff, nice breakfast selections and very important for us: quiet. We had an oceanfront suite and it was roomy and comfortable. Housekeeping was excellent. I can't think of anything negative to say about this hotel. We will definitely stay there again!

Room Tip: Our 4th floor oceanfront suite was fantastic. It had three balconies. One was HUGE! Loved it being on the corner of the hotel. Lots of fantastic views.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Aimee R

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and making us your favorite in Nags Head. We are very appreciative of your business and for taking the time to review the Surf Side. It is wonderful to be the #1 rated hotel in Nags Head and it is even more rewarding when a guests has stayed with the others and decided we truly are the only choice for your hotel stay. Our amazing staff deserves the credit, we are lucky to have such an awesome team! We will look forward to your next visit.