“Nice addition to raleigh dining scene”
Review of J. Alexander's

J. Alexander's
Reserve with OpenTable
J. Alexander's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #27 of 1,483 Restaurants in Raleigh
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Deviled egg appetizer, attractive but poorly seasoned.
Cheese steak eggroll very good
Sushi good
Cheeseburger. Tasty. Unfortunately Juliene style fries--hate em because they take too long to eat but these were fried right and properly seasoned so hard to resist.
Cypress salad 4 stars.
Prime rib with heavenly mashed potatoes was definite 2 thumbs up from the beef lovers in the group.
Dessert is made for 2 to share.

One complaint, the designer who picked the rectangular lights over the booths made a terrible decision. The light doen not illuminate the entire tabletop so if you are on the dark side it is very difficult to read the menu. At sunset they lower the sunshades on the windows, then it really became a challenge. So dump the tiny fixtures and "let there be light".

Reviewed 5 September 2017

This is a solid family restaurant but a bit more upscale. Very nice bar. Varied menu and quality of food I'd good. They are very interested in having the customer enjoy their meal and service so if not satisfied tell the manager

Reviewed 4 September 2017

My husband and I had a terrific lunch at J. Alexander's and are already plotting our return. I had the Brasserie Chicken, which was outstanding (chicken breast breaded in Panko bread crumbs, topped with lemon cream sauce with capers, red peppers, and parmesan cheese). DELICIOUS! My husband loved his crab cakes.

Note the portions are large--even at lunch. My chicken dish had three chicken filets--enough for me to eat one and take the other two home for another meal. I had to leave room, of course, for dessert, which was a wise move. We split a piece of chocolate cake (made with Hersey's chocolate bars and syrup) served warm and topped with hot fudge sauce and vanilla ice cream. The cake was moist and delicious--and so large we took 1/3 of the piece home for us to split later. The restaurant setting is lovely and the wait staff is first class. While J. Alexander's is a little pricey, it's well worth the investment.

Our waiter suggested we also try their sister-restaurant, Stony River in Chapel Hill (in the old University Mall on S. Estes Drive). Specifically, he said *don't miss* their Coffee-Cured Filet Mignon (cured with their special blend of coffee, brown sugar and molasses), per the online menu. I've added that to my wish list, along with a return visit to J. Alexanders. Life is GOOD!

Reviewed 1 September 2017

From the outside, it looked minimal but the number of cars packed in at lunch time raised our expectations and J. Alexander's gave us a marvelous experience!

The decor is captivating. Gorgeous wood threaded throughout, complemented by well-selected art pieces and paintings. It is open as you can see right through to the kitchen but brings you into an intimate space within the room once seated.

Their hosts and servers were some of the best we've encountered; genuinely pleasant with the highest regard for their guests. Classy (something you don't see much anymore). Speaking of rare - the impeccably clean and make you want to stay awhile bathroom. No, seriously. Their designers thought of everything, Funny (and unusual, yes) make sure you have a bathroom run. They also played an enjoyable selection of jazz which enhanced the overall ambiance.

But oooooh, the FOOD! Our table had the prime rib, seafood, and a few apps. Every offering was prepared with a unique spin to foods we've gotten very accustomed to. Many wonderful surprises that we now consider the 'J. Alexander's' touch. Simple yet, I'm recalling the difference in taste easily as I write. Just plain outstanding dishes!

We've already decided on a time to get back as soon as possible.
Rich, warm, inviting with a superb quality in service and food!
Kudos and applause to the entire J. Alexander's team!!!

Reviewed 12 August 2017 via mobile

Our request for a private or quiet area for business discussions was wonderfully received. The same girl who made our reservation was also out hostess and could not have been more pleasant. Our wait staff was expert level. I had the fish tacos that were the special and was thrilled with them. The French dip looked great from across the table and there were plenty of fries. Highly recommended!