“Great Breakfast”

Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
Reviewed 18 September 2017

Excellent grits. Excellent biscuits. Excellent omelets. Staff is super friendly and very helpful. Good southern charm. Many options. Something for everyone on the menu.

Reviewed 8 September 2017

I came in today with 2 friends and my own special diet. I can't have dairy because I'm lactose intolerant. Marg or "MJ" was very knowledgeable about the menu and accommodating, she suggested we used oil instead of butter to cook my eggs. I'm from out of town and was just there on a layover from the Amtrak, she recommended 3 dairy-free options that were unique to that restaurant, at 3 different price points ranging from $5-$9. I could tell that she genuinely cared about my experience as a guest, whereas most servers just suggest the most expensive thing, Marg offered me honesty and provided menu knowledge, which I both noticed and appreciated.

She delivered friendly, fast and attentive service, all with personality. I'm a server too so I know how it is- and she was great! I made an account just to review her.

Reviewed 7 September 2017

After seeing Big Ed's as a "top breakfast spot" in NC, my family planned a trip ASAP. We arrived 8:30 on a Saturday morning, and it was perfect timing- the place really started to fill up after we got our table! The waitress was great and attentive despite the large crowd, and they even brought our 14-month old his own bowl of applesauce and a cup of water- so sweet! We all ordered something different and pretty much just shared a little of everything... it was all SO good and flavorful! The pancakes and spiced apples were everyone's favorites, and we couldn't finish all the food there was so much. Serving sizes were great for the prices! The sweet tea was delicious as well, and I got multiple refills. I would definitely go back for breakfast, but I would be sure to get there early on weekends to avoid the crowd. Highly recommend Big Ed's City Market Restaurant if you're local and want to eat local cuisine at a good price.

Reviewed 7 September 2017

Reminded me of having breakfast on the farm - with a longer wait and a ton more people. The pancakes are off-road (huge!). All the southern breakfast staples are represented (you might even encounter some free banana pudding if you're lucky, we were!).

Reviewed 7 September 2017 via mobile

Big eds is great for breakfast if you want country style cooking. The biscuits are good and the pancakes are as big as your head. There is nothing fancy there it even serves pigs brains. They serve several types of omelettes and grits. The service is great. Even though the lines are long, they have great service and run people through the lines at a reasonable speed. They serve food later in the day but breakfast is the most popular time. Good eating.