“Great menu selection”

42nd St Oyster Bar & Seafood Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
42nd St Oyster Bar & Seafood Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #11 of 1,483 Restaurants in Raleigh
Price range: US$8 - US$33
Good for: Romantic, Bar Scene, Groups, Business meetings, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: West Street
Transit: RLine stop one block away
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

If you're a seafood or oyster lover, this is the place for you!

I whisked my hubby away on a weekend trip out to Raleigh for his birthday. I knew we wanted seafood for dinner. We do not have ANY good seafood restaurants here in Winston, so when we want good seafood, we head to Raleigh or keep going east :).

I made a 5pm reservation for Saturday. They took us to our table immediately. The one thing we really loved was even though they were jam-packed crowded by 5:30, it was not loud in there at all. Hubby and I were able to have conversations without yelling at each other, like we have to do in so many other restaurants.

We had really good service. They bring you water and hush puppies among arrival. The hush puppies were some of the best we've had and we have eaten hush puppies at hundreds of different places. We do not like hush puppies that have that strong onion flavor. We didn't taste onion in these at all, which was even better.

Hubby had half-dozen of the Chesapeake, VA oysters. He just like normal, little salty oysters. For our meal, I had the grilled swordfish and hubby had blackened mahi. Both were cooked to perfection! They have a great selection of sides as well.

We were in, had dinner and our bill all in 50 min. Not bad at all considering how jamming they were.

Our bill was $74 and that included 6 oysters, our 2 meals and one beer. (I had water.) This is not your typical restaurant that serves just a bunch of fried seafoods, so just know that you can easily have a $50 or more bill.

The location is very easy to get to. Very close to being downtown, but they have a good size parking lot.

We will definitely be back.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

I can’t eat shellfish but my husband & his family all love it. Still found a lot of choice on the menu, all delicious, will certainly go back for a special occasion.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We were a party of 10, seated in a great area for conversation. Wide variety of appetizers and entrees - all perfect. Our one non-seafood eater was happy! It was a special night and all raved about the food.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

What a fun evening! Diners were happy and engaged in their meal choices and made the evening lively and pleasant. I enjoyed a Jessie's girl cocktail and Stone Point oysters as an appetizer, followed by a salad, lobster and mashed sweet potatoes. For dessert, key lime pie. Wait staff pleasant, professional, and attentive. Enjoyed it!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

A Classic Raleigh staple, 42nd street always delivers. With yummy hushpuppies and scrumptious seafood selections, you simply can NOT pick a bad item from their extensive menu.