“Just what I needed”

Assaggio's Italian Bistro
Ranked #199 of 1,520 Restaurants in Raleigh
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

I've been craving Italian and this was the place that someone recommended. Incredible pizza. Amazing doughy garlic knots smothered with chopped garlic and butter. Superb scallops and creamy sauce. We were seated right away. They make to-go orders as well and deliver within a 4 mile radius. I can't wait to go back!

Reviewed 1 March 2018

We thought this was only a retail place but another couple suggested we go for dinner and we had a very enjoyable dinner. It is fairly small but good atmosphere. Parking is ample. We had very good service by Ashlin, attentive and she knew the menu very well. The noise level was low. The menu has lots of variety, almost too much.

I had the eggplant parmigiani and my wife had a entree salad. The eggplant came with a side salad which was basic but fresh. The eggplant was nice size and cooked the right amount. It came with a side of spaghetti which made it an ample meal. The sauce on each was the standard marinara. My wife enjoyed her chicken salad.

Reviewed 16 February 2018 via mobile

Having half Italian blood and being from outside the area, my wife and I went in search for some GOOD Italian food.
We tried Assaggio's. A nice place where
we both ordered the spaghetti with meat sauce and a salad. Their coffee was good and strong. Great coffee is always a good sign for what's to come next. And it was. A large salad, fresh, with a nice variety and great house dressing came with 4 ball rolls in butter, garlic and was fabulous.
What a great start. We couldn't wait for the pasta. UNFORTUNATELY it was a huge let down. I was starring at a huge plate of spaghetti with a tiny amount of topping that looked like dry chili.
Yep..........CHILI.
I thought someone made a mistake and asked the waitress if this truly was their sauce for pasta. She replied "Yes". After mixing, and struggling with it like a mad scientist, I forced myself to eat 1/3 just for being so hungry. TERRIBLE.
My wife hardly touched her's and finished her salad and rolls. What a shame.............. if someone could just learn how to make a decent sauce, they would have a gold mine. TOOOOO BAD. Might go back to try their pizza. Might!!!!!

Reviewed 13 December 2017

You can taste the freshness and the superior quality of ingredients here as compared with a big pizza chain product. Assaggio's is not cheap, but the quality is in the food. This isn't really the ideal place to just go grab three pies to feed teenagers who might not really appreciate the difference between a sophisticated cheese blend and a pile of mozzarella. But, if you want a slice above a generic take-out, Assaggio's is a solid option. The sit-down menu is likewise good. The calzone, stromboli, and subs are all good. However, a couple of the more complicated dishes seem to be a little tricky for the staff. There can be a little bit of inconsistency between preparations of the same dish from week to week, especially the chicken dishes and the seafood dishes. Perhaps this is due to different personnel in the kitchen. In summary, Assaggio's is good, but maybe it isn't quite as good as its owners and mangers think it is. They are sweating the details, maybe just not all of the details. Does the occasional coolness of the cashier for walk-in and carry-out orders indicate a little motivation problem in the house?

Reviewed 11 November 2017

We've never been disappointed by Assagio's. On this most recent visit, we had Chicken Marsala and Pasta Assagio's. Both were tasty, hot and well presented. The one shortcoming was the Caesar's salads, which were made with iceberg lettuce, a bit heavy on the dressing and didn't include any Parmesan cheese.