“If I could give zero stars I would”

Residence Inn Raleigh Midtown
Ranked #52 of 87 Hotels in Raleigh
Reviewed 17 August 2017

I booked this hotel through Priceline a few months ago for the night of August 12 so I could attend the Hank Williams Jr./Lynyrd Skynyrd concert in Raleigh. After my friend and I drove 1.5 hours and arrived at the hotel at 5 p.m., we were told by Alexis that our room was not ready and would not be ready for another hour because the staff was not finished cleaning it. I asked Alexis why our room would be ready so late, since check in was at 3 p.m. and her only answer was that they had late check outs. I then asked Alexis if there was somewhere I could store frozen foods I had purchased since I didn't want them sitting in a hot car for the 4 -5 hours we would be at the concert, and she told me that was not her problem. Since we had to be at the concert at 6, we left and went to Walmart to purchase a cooler and ice and changed clothes in the car.

We arrived back at the hotel shortly before midnight and this time had no issues checking in. However, the buildings were not marked clearly so it took us 15 minutes of circling the parking lot to find our room (512). Upon walking in, it seems as if it was a decent hotel room. However, we went into the bathroom to discover a long hair on the sink. My friend took a shower, and discovered that the maids had given us two bottles of conditioner and one shampoo. Being that it was close to 1 a.m. at this time, we decided to not make a fuss and go to bed. When I woke up, I made coffee only to find that the lid to the coffee pot was broken off and just balanced on the carafe. I also discovered that the bathroom door did not lock. However, the worst was to come. My friend woke up and I noticed blood on the sheets. Upon both of us inspecting our clothes and bodies, we did not find any evidence of open wounds or blood on our clothes. After this we decided to check out and get away from this place. I checked out and spoke with Assistant General Manager, Tessa, who was very nice and listened to my concerns. She advised me to contact Priceline regarding a refund request. However, when contacted, Priceline advised that Residence Inn denied my request for a refund because the room I booked was non-refundable. Now, I completely understand non-refundable policies, but for me to get a room that was nowhere near as advertised and had multiple sanitation issues, I think it is ridiculous that I had to pay for the privilege of sleeping in someone else's blood!!

Room Tip: Don't ever book here!!!
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
00gc, General Manager at Residence Inn Raleigh Midtown, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2017

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. Please accept our genuine apologies for not providing the attentive service you expected. Our number one priority is to make sure you receive comfortable, clean accommodations. We hope you will accept our sincerest apology along with every assurance the issues you described have been addressed with our staff. We hope you will consider a return visit, and we will do everything we can to make sure your next stay is great!

Reviewed 12 August 2017

Check in was easy and very nice staff at front dest. Breakfast was very good, and good selection. Room was clean and a great size. Check out was also very good and the staff was very courteous. Would give the hotel more stars, but this was a family reunion and we asked to have rooms closer together, and it didn't happen.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
00gc, General Manager at Residence Inn Raleigh Midtown, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2017

Dear San266,

Please accept our genuine apologies for not providing the attentive service you expected. You should have received better from us, and we will be using your comments to remind our staff it is never acceptable to neglect our guests in any way. We truly hope you will give us another chance to prove we are committed to providing outstanding hospitality.

Reviewed 4 August 2017 via mobile

I'd give it a 2.5 stars. This hotel must have been great 20 years ago, but it is old and grungy. If it were cheaper, then it would be fine. However, for the price they charge it's not up to standards. I would not take my family here.

Having said all that, the staff was great. Exceptionally friendly and knowledgeable.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled on business
00gc, General Manager at Residence Inn Raleigh Midtown, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2017

Dear Marc M,

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to post a review. We're sorry our hotel did not meet all your expectations. We agree there are areas within the hotel which are beginning to show their age. We will share your feedback with the people in our organization who responsible for formulating plans for future renovations. Our goal is to deliver the best service of any hotel in the area, and we hope you'll make plans to stay with us again!

Reviewed 25 July 2017

Marriott Residence Inn is my GO-TO hotel when I travel. This hotel was decent enough but its time to renovate the rooms. I had the Studio Suite, it was spacious and clean, but the carpet was a little stale smelling and my bed was lumpy! The parking at the hotel was plentiful even coming in late I was able to secure a space near my room. The hotel is conveniently located right off the interstate and there were a few spots to eat near by. The hotel staff was pleasant and very attentive upon arrival and departure. I would stay here again and I would also recommend this hotel to anyone visiting the Raleigh area.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
00gc, General Manager at Residence Inn Raleigh Midtown, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2017

Dear Perry6153,

Thank you for sharing your experience at Residence Inn Raleigh Midtown and for highlighting some of the unique features of our property. We are so pleased to read that you loved our welcoming associates, convenient location which was perfect for your needs and our parking facility as well. We appreciate you recommending us online and look forward to your next stay with us soon.

Reviewed 13 July 2017 via mobile

I'm a Marriott Platinum and I really tried to like this property, but we did have some significant issues.

First issue - The smoke detector batteries were apparently old, and went off in the middle of the night. The person at the front desk offered to move us (or she could call maintenance - a 45 min wait). Neither solution was suitable at 1:00 am.... We did not get much sleep.

Second issue - My daughter had left her wallet in the room during the day. After we checked out, she realized that someone had taken all of the cash out of her wallet. It was a small amount of money, but it made us all feel violated. Her Apple earbuds were also missing from the room.

The staff we encountered were nice, but this stay was not up to par, I do not recommend this hotel.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
00gc, General Manager at Residence Inn Raleigh Midtown, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2017

Dear AmyFerr,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We take matters such as this very seriously. As a result, please allow us some time to look into this matter further.