Lowest prices for your stay
Hotels.com
RM 470
Fully refundable before Thu, 14 Mar
Breakfast included
All reviews cinnamon rolls nice hotel gas station oatmeal first morning night stay beds were very comfortable hie ihg mountains wcu
Selected filters
Reviewed 1 April 2023

Worst customer service with no clue on the ADA law put in place to protect handlers and their service companions. Discrimination at its finest to both human and animal. Never returning. Horrible franchising.

Date of stay: March 2023
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Brandy Johnson, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Sylva Western Carolina Area, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2023

I am so sorry that you were told the wrong information. The guest stated she had a dog with her that was not yet trained as a service animal, but she trained service animals that is when we asked for her trainers ID and if she had it we would overlook the fact that the dog was not yet trained. She got upset and told me it was illegal for me to request her ID and I informed her that I was not asking for proof that the dog was a service animal as she already said it was not. I was asking for something that showed me she trained service animals so that I could check her in and feel comfortable that she as a trainer could manage the dog. With us under going full renovations and have a construction crew and site on property we trust that service animals who are well trained will not get hurt or run off into the construction zone and with pets it is not the same. They will take off and get hurt. This entire situation was completely different than what has been told. I do wish that you and the rest of the group had the chance to see how we are or at least have been there during this check-in process because the staff was calm and kind.

Reviewed 1 April 2023

Staff was completely rude and disrespectful. How they handled my friend with a service animal was disgusting. Never go here. I would give zero stars if I could. Absolutely disgusting. Staff needs training on how to handle things.

Date of stay: March 2023
Trip type: Travelled on business

Reviewed 14 November 2022 via mobile

If the rate was $100/night for this 2-star hotel, it would be ok, but we had to pay $438 for our non-refundable 2-night stay. At check-in, they told me I had booked through a third party. I said no, I booked through the IHG site. They said that IS at third party and IHG just books for this hotel. Hmm, so this makes me leery now of all Holiday Inns. Here are some facts: The the lobby and breakfast area is as expected for a 2-star hotel, but not for a $200+/night property. There is one elevator shared by all guests and housekeeping. The shower head height is 5’5” so tall guests beware, but the water pressure and plumbing was new and functional. The walls are thin, and as we were right off the elevator/ice machine, we could follow along with all the conversations right out our door. Housekeeping staff is excellent, but you are not provided shampoo, only body wash, conditioner, and a 2”x1” soap bar. The HVAC does not have a wall control, just on the unit itself. There is no extra blanket or pillow in the room. The TV is great, huge! The room was dark and the view from the window features over a dozen RVs, campers and a broken helicopter. The manager, bless her heart, she’s doing her best to keep this place working. We did ask if she ever gets to leave as she was always there doing everything. “A 2-hour nap at home last night,” she replied. Sylva, and this hotel owner, is way over-charging out-of-towners. We would recommend avoiding Sylva in general.

Room tip: Avoid Sylva, NC. Stay in Franklin instead. Sylva food and hotel prices are inflated for this shabby town.
Date of stay: November 2022
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank BakeGingerbread
Brandy Johnson, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Sylva Western Carolina Area, responded to this reviewResponded 21 December 2023

All of our guest rooms are fully renovated and we are currently renovating the 1st floor and dining room. There will be a tall privacy fence built to block the RV's and we hope that you come and stay with us again after renovations are completed.

Reviewed 7 October 2022 via mobile

This hotel surprised us. It was clean and quiet. The staff was helpful and friendly. The beds were very comfortable and the sheets were smooth and soothing. We slept so well. Breakfast was plentiful with egg white omelets, bacon, cinnamon rolls, oatmeal, some fruit, etc. We thought it was good! We will be back!

Date of stay: October 2022
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 July 2022

This hotel is a pretty decent stay if you don't mind being away from the hustle and bustle. We were in town for a college tour of WCU and stayed for 2 nights in room 315. No view out the window if that is important to you. 15 mins from campus, 45 mins-1 hour from Asheville Outlets, WNC Farmers Market, and Asheville Mall, 30 mins from Cherokee.
Yes, there is a weird abandoned RV lot in front of the hotel. If it were my property I would put up a fence as it is quite an eyesore. Did it change anything about our stay? No. Would we stay again? Yes.

Point to remember - breakfast here is 6am-9am, not 10am as most hotels are. We almost missed it on the first morning here.

Pros - Our room was accommodating and clean. Lobby is welcoming and seating clean and comfortable. Pool area looked clean (we did not use the pool). Breakfast options were good. Cereal, biscuits/gravy, eggs, breakfast meat, muffins, bagels, yogurt, pancakes, fruit, and of course those HIE cinnamon rolls (yum!). Front desk staff were nice and gave us milk when we went down and asked at night instead of making us go across the street to the gas station. Lots of drink options and snack options in the commissary. They even stock a few beer choices if that is your thing.

Cons regarding our room - there is no exhaust fan in the bathroom, so all your toiletries are wet if you take hot showers. Also our air only halfway worked. We kept it on 66 the entire stay and it was barely comfortable for us. I would say room temp probably stayed at more like 70 degrees. (We are used to 68)

Date of stay: July 2022