“Still Enchanting”
Review of Mast General Store

Mast General Store
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: An old-fashioned country store with many unique items for sale.
Reviewed 31 July 2017

We've been visiting the original Mast General Store for over 34 years. It had been 13 years since we visited the last time and since we enjoy Valle Crucis, thought we'd take a day trip. The store is very historical and I love that the old floors and stairs creek and are uneven in places; I love the old wares that used to be sold back in the good old days; and I love the authenticity of the front because you can truly tell the age of the original store. the store does have a great variety of just about everything and I love the old cold drink coca cola coolers proudly serving Nehi drinks -- a must on a hot day. I love that they still have a working post office in the old store and I love the display cases with the old ledgers. I just wish they would keep more of the old and not so much of the new. Now with that said, I did manage to buy many different things from homemade trivets/pot holders; to dill pickles to homemade sour dough bread and a pair of crocs. 34 years ago, it was still an attraction, but not as commercialized and I remember they used to have a coffin upstairs because way back then, they sold coffins too - they had too being the only store for miles and miles. I love that they have the old stove in there and that you can play a game of checkers using bottle caps - which our 12 year old enjoyed. I guess we just wish for simpler times where you could see a bit of history without all the tourists.

Reviewed 29 July 2017

You can go back in time to the old stores where the barrels were full of candy and there was everything in the store you need and more. Great selection of wonderful and unique items and tons of old time candy!! Wonderful treat just to visit!!

Reviewed 28 July 2017

Love this place. We had our RC cola and our moon pie. They have some great sales an a little of something for everyone. I got a great pair of shoes regularly 170.00 for 30.00. Great snacks, food and gifts. And the great restaurant OVER YONDER is right across the street. Wes also ate there and loved it.

Reviewed 24 July 2017

Hands down best and coolest general stores around. One of the oldest still running general stores in NC and definitely the most famous. They operate 9 stores with the Valle Crucis being the original.

Be sure to travel all the way down highway 194 to get to the original building and see the post office that still operates.

Reviewed 20 July 2017

Very interesting shop. Many unique items not to be found in other stores. . I always take our visitors there and everyone has always enjoyed it.