“New location and Great Lunch Time stop”

Maggie's Galley Oyster Bar
Ranked #5 of 117 Restaurants in Waynesville
Price range: US$10 - US$15
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Soups
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Kids, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Cheap Eats, Groups, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: "What great seafood!" We hear that all of the time and we are thankful to our diners. Great seafood in the Great Smoky Mountains of Western North Carolina just a few miles from the Blue Ridge Parkway. Come join us at our new location just off of the Great Smoky Mountain Expressway (US Hwy 23) and see what everyone is talking about. From our full bar including beer and wine to appetizers, delicious entrees, and our house-made desserts, we are proud to serve you with our courteous wait staff in comfortable dining. We serve weekday lunch specials, and our full menu every evening and weekends with a special Sunday brunch.
Sedona, Arizona
“New location and Great Lunch Time stop”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2013

We had lunch yesterday with friends and are happy to report that Maggie's is as good as it was in the old location. There is much more room and a more relaxed feeling to this new location.
If you order nothing else get the seafood chowder - and I urge a cup, as the bowl is huge and you will struggle to find room for anything else. If you have room the po-boys are great, as are all of the sandwiches. You also have the option to order from the dinner menu at lunchtime. Service was ok, and I am sure will improve as the staff settle in. We will return just for the chowder.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank amanda34680

Evensville, Tennessee, United States
“New Location, Food Still Great, Service needs to improve STAT!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2013

I normally make two trips to Waynesville each year (one Spring and one Fall). In the spring, Maggie's had closed and NOW has recently had finally reopened (less than two weeks)

I love the sea scallops and I was willing to overlook quite a bit just to enjoy them again but as other reviewers have noted their service needs to improve and pronto. There were open tables but not enough "servers" and staff to keep up with the demand. Needless to say, if they don't improve, the demand will soon balance all this out.

We were served by a trainee who was being shadowed by a regular and while she did her best, there were numerous issues with the bills (new system (?)) but overall she was a trooper and you could easily see was giving a full effort.

Scallops were awesome, chowder was splendid (and was EXACTLY as it was before), Frog legs have been removed from the menu.

I will be back in the Spring, I hope that Maggie's has vastly improved by then.

Sylva, North Carolina
“First visit wonderful, second visit very disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2013

We were excited for the restaurant to reopen and the first visit was worth the wait. The food was great and the young wait staff member that we had was just charming. We went back this evening and were very disappointed. We arrived early when there were plenty of empty tables and they seated us in the room where the staff were taking their breaks, gossiping, and rolling silverware. Ok events all, but just not what I had in mind for my evening out!

Our server, Sheree (I think), was great, but the kitchen and computer service challenged her throughout our meal. The coffee was cold. The food arrived almost on top of the salads, and more importantly the quality of the food was noticeably different from last week. The catfish appetizer was about 2/3 breading The seafood gumbo that we so enjoyed last week was just BAD! So bad, that some of our party were ill on the way home. When I called to complain and suggest that they check the gumbo all I got was, "I'll tell the kitchen." No apology or concern was evidenced by the manager on duty.
Maggie's was full to the brim this evening so maybe they don't need to be concerned about my complaints, but it will be a while before I return.

2 Thank sisteridge
canton North Carolina, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“worst experience ever and i work at two restaurant's!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2013

Went here last night( 9-24) slowest service ever...food was cold after waiting an hour and a half on it. They forgot my son's simple side of fries. Did not offer any comp( your servers need to learn customer courtesy), I work at two restaurant's in waynesville and will let everyone know how my experience went. If you guys want to succeed I recommend a new kitchen staff and wait staff-! I couldn't imagine regular people( ppl not in f&b industry)thoughts. Three tables close by were very mad. Our server had obviously not waited tables long...and I can manage that but our overall experience was horrible! Will not be back and will let locals know.

1 Thank Amanda P
“Times have changed”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2013

The raw oysters were very fresh although they only had one choice on the menu. The seafood chowder has completely changed from their previous chowder. For an entree I ordered the seafood platter. The fried clans came strait out Of a bag. The grilled shrimp were VERY overlooked and had no seasoning. The flounder was watery and also had no flavor. Thank goodness I brought my own hot sauce from home. The twiced baked potatoe was also not made in house. The highlight was the collard greens.

The service was way below par. The bartender completely ignored my party for more than 5 minutes and seemed put out to bring us bottled beer.

Our server once we made it to our table was great. She was friendly and acknowledged that it was taking forever and tried to crack jokes. She was the only highlight of the evening. Ask for Deanna if you dare to venture to this establishment.

1 Thank HungryInWaynesville