“Nice, but you could do better for the money” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Silver Gull Motel

Silver Gull Motel
Raleigh, NC
“Nice, but you could do better for the money”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2010

My one and only problem with the Silver Gull was that they were charging the same rates as some of the larger resort hotels in Wrightsville Beach, but didn't have nearly as many amenities. For $9 more we could have stayed at Shell Beach Resort. Oh well, we just wanted to get changed and into the ocean.
Things I did like about this hotel: the room was clean and new. There was a small kitchenette (which we did not take advantage of, but will keep in mind for future reference), free wifi, close to a lot of things, not a lot of kids, friendly staff, coffee in the lobby, covered parking, small place, so not a lot of walking, nice beach. The best thing about it though, was the bathroom. Usually the bathroom is the downfall of an otherwise nice hotel room. It seems it's impossible to keep a hotel bathroom mildew free, but this place had not even a hint of mold or mildew anywhere. It was nicer than my bathroom at home, and nicer than a lot of Westins and Sheratons I've stayed in!
Things I didn't like: it was on a crowded part of the beach, expensive, the garage was small and crowded, 2-night minimum (which the front desk guy waived for us since they weren't very busy).

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Bourgeois_Yuppie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2010

My boyfriend(from Iowa) and I(from Minnesota) decided on a last minute road trip to North Carolina. He had been there before, I never had. After driving 18 hours straight into Asheville, we stayed at a Motel 6. It was mediocre, and we only really needed to stay there to sleep for the night. After touring the Biltmore Estate that day, we headed to Wrightsville Beach. We arrived around 1 a.m. and were incredibly exhausted. I actually used my cell phone and texted Google for "cheap hotels in Wrightsville Beach, North Carolina". After driving to the recommended motels and being very disappointed (we were in search of a place on the beach!) we came across the Silver Gull Motel. The service was tremendous, and we felt as though we were both at home and comfortable. Pitch black outside, we pulled into the parking lot and only focused on getting checked in and hitting the hay. Well, little did we know that the Silver Gull was DIRECTLY on the beach. We stayed for 3 nights and the information the front desk gave us kept us very busy and entertained. The motel is in a great spot, we walked to a cute little cafe where we ate a delicious lunch, walked to a fun diner with a live band, and again, walked to a small clothing shop we both enjoyed. This was my favorite trip so far in my life and is the reason why I am planning on moving to North Carolina after I graduate. I had to get this all out there so people understand just HOW amazing the Silver Gull Motel made is!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Wilkak
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2010

The Silver Gull is a great place to stay while in Wrightsville Beach. The hotel is located right next to the beach and close to the main part of town. The staff was friendly and helpful. The room, recently renovated, was spacious and clean with a nice balcony. All in all, a great place to stay while hitting the lovely beaches of North Carolina.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank lindseyteal
High Point, NC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2010

I just spent four days in Wrightsville Beach and picked the Silver Gull in large part because of the reviews and the price. There were pros and cons, but overall I can only say that this is an OK hotel and, at least when I was there, priced almost as high as better hotels. We had a lovely oceanfront room, but part of the balcony overlooked a parking lot. In all fairness, I was told upfront about the parking lot. What I was NOT told was that the parking lot in question was the public parking for the pier and the public beach. The noise was not a huge problem in April, but I would never want to deal with it in the summer! The hotel also advertises a private walkway to the beach and again, does not tell you that the private walkway is literally a few years from the public entrance to the public beach, making the private entrance a moot point. Our room was spacious and recently redone and the housekeeping was excellent. But given the very public location (as opposed to the other beachfront hotels), I though $130 a night was just too much for what you get. Had I known the actual situation, I would have paid a little more for a better hotel in a more private location. I didn't dislike this hotel, but I doubt I would stay again as well.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank marftrip
North Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2010

I booked this motel, based on positive reviews. It was an okay place. We (my mother and I) had an oceanfront view, Room 210. The room includes a refrigerator, two-burner stove, and microwave. The room has a double balcony. It was great watching the sunrise every morning while drinking coffee. The elevator was not working; the motel keeper told us that he would help us find another place if we wished, and he even allowed us to look at the room prior to taking it. We decided to take it because we were afraid we wouldn't find something better. I didn't want to eat up precious time looking for something else.

Well, for the ocean front view. There is a big bush that was untrimmed, and it obstructed part of the view. The toilet stopped up--from the beginning, and finally we needed help with it. When I called the desk, they told us they would look for an plunger to bring us. They brought us a worn-out plunger, and quickly ran the other way. We had to do our own plunging -- even in the middle of the night. No one called to see if we managed our own plumbing or not.

When I left, i told them about the plunger incident and told them that I felt some of the price should be knocked off the room because of it. He said he would talk with the owner about it. When I got home, I called back, and he said that he would take care of it, but I haven't heard a word. Maybe I will, but no one has called about it.

Bottom line--the place is somewhat antiquated, as others have said. We won't go back, and I don't think I would recommend the place. I'm certain that in the summer time, it would be very, very loud and rowdy.

• Stayed December 2009
Blockade Runner Beach Resort
Blockade Runner Beach Resort
#1 of 9 in Wrightsville Beach
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,916 reviews

Been to Silver Gull Motel? Share your experiences!