“Great restaurant, excellent seafood.”

22 North Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
22 North Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Price range: US$15 - US$30
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Bar Scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Birmingham
Description: Located on historic Wrightsville Beach, 22 North has earned a reputation by visitors and locals alike as "the best kept secret on the beach." Embodying the best of traditional Lower Cape Fear cuisine with classic French and rustic Creole fare, we take pride in providing our guests with the most unique and eclectic Southern comfort food in the Wilmington area. Taking full advantage of the naturally abundant resources Cape Fear is blessed with, our menu changes virtually every day. You're sure to find local favorites along with bold, exciting, and fresh new creations! House specialties like our award-winning silky She-Crab soup, grilled Skirt Steak or our famous Shrimp n'Grits are featured along with more innovative fare such as Sweet Potato Crusted Grouper, Buttermilk fried Alligator and country ham Blue Crab Cakes. And of course our wonderful homemade desserts such as Key Lime Pie and Caramel Bread Pudding are pure delight. We invite you to come on in and make yourself at home!
Reviewed 19 August 2016

First time in this restaurant, hard to find a parking spot, they have some next to the building but it is limited. The food was great and the service was terrific. Limited menu but very good. All the food that we had was great. The clam chowder has a different twist, it has some kick, very flavorful and you can eat the clams. The gator ettoufe needs some work, while the ettoufe was very good and tasty, it lack gator. They should put more gator on it. In contrast, the lobster florentine had a lot of lobster and the sauce was terrific, mild but tasty. We also order the shrimp and grits and it was fabulous. Shrimp were nicely cook, they were very tender and not overcook. If you are not that hungry, order the Scallops wrapped in Bacon, it is a nice tasty dish, the saltiness of the bacon complements well the sweetness of the scallops. This is a repeat place for me.

Reviewed 17 July 2016 via mobile

Worth a two hour drive from Cary to eat here. Friendly chef, Shrimp and grits, bacon wrapped scallops... Key lime pie. Top notch.

Reviewed 16 July 2016 via mobile

I've been in years past and really enjoyed it. The constantly changing menu is fun. We met another couple for catching up, but it seems the kitchen runs out of the good stuff too often. I wanted the sea bass mac n cheese because I've never had sea bass I didn't like. Anyway, when I ordered it the server told me they were out and were now serving the mac n cheese with craw fish. So I ordered bistro steak, which was disappointing because I eat fresh seafood exclusively when at the coast. The steak was just ok. The scallop apetizer was good and those who ordered shrimp and grits were not disappointed, but I was. In the past I got monkfish that was on their chalkboard and have craved it ever since. I'll try again sooner or later.

1  Thank Carroll H
Reviewed 12 July 2016

The Good: Unique twists for usual seafood fare. My shrimp and grits were the best i have ever had. Partly because the grits were fortified with small tomato slices and herbs and seasoned shrimp that made me salivate! My wife's catch of the day Grouper came across with a mild citrus flavor that was memorable. The bartender also mixed up some great cocktails (and we're picky about drinks).
Eldest son enjoyed his catfish and veggies.
Key lime dessert was great!
The Bad. Our server was pleasant enough but I'd wager the US Postal Service would find her too slow if she tried to work there. It wasn't slow service in the European sense- where it is expected to flag your server down on some places. Her pace with our meal was just too slow and it left too much time just sitting and looking around the primarily empty room wondering if she had simply fallen asleep in the back. I had to spur her on to get the check at the same time we received our desserts as we knew we'd have ten minutes or more before after we finished eating them before we'd see her again. The other server was moving with an effectiveness we wished we'd received-her tables came and left while we lingered.

The Decor: This place has a split personality. The front end is a nice plain and simple restaurant with tables chairs and paper on top of the tablecloths...It was great. The back half is a bar that is set up for the nightly liver challenges. Pitchers of beer are $3.50 and I know that because the signs highlighting this price are placarded everywhere. So if you're there to get hammered go later and head to the back. If you want a satiating meal that is truly unique go early hope for the fast server.

We'll go again because the food is worth it and I will be more vocal if we get her again.

Reviewed 2 July 2016 via mobile

So the woman and I stumbled upon this little restaurant and thought we'd give it a try. We were a little shocked when the lady brought us the menu, which was a big chalkboard. We thought this was just the specials for the night but no, it was the entire menu. There were only about 5-6 entree choices so that was a little disappointing. We went with the Lobster Mac-n-Cheese, which we split, and I gotta say it was very good.

We sat in the bar area and the noise coming from the kitchen was quite disturbing. Pretty disappointing when you're paying $35 for an entree, IMO. All in all, the experience was just ok. I expected more but the food was good.

1  Thank Jason B