If you want well maintained rooms with streamline, professional service, you will find this hotel frustrating.
Here's the summary:
+ charming period hotel with lots of history
+ private beach
+ fab views across the sea to central Colombo
- Room felt like and smelt like a damp basement
- no furniture on balcony
- refurbed room ok - quality of finish poor
- unrefurbed rooms really sad and bathroom awful (they will call them 'colonial' but interpret this as 'no update in last 20 years')
- pool is crowded - you need to be up and out for 9am if you want a bed. By 1030 all seat pads are gone (loads of beds left).
- curtains smaller than balcony door so light comes streaming in in the morning
- balcony door "lock" is not secure
- service probably the worst I've had in a "five star" hotel.
- noisy - neighbours, corridors, people outside, trains, crows. You hear it all.
- wifi slow and drops regularly
- leak in reception ceiling which had clearly been there for a long time by the look of the ceiling damage.
- wedding central : this place is really a wedding venue. Several a day.
If you are attending for holidays, bear that in mind.
If you are attending a wedding, just get a tuktuk from Colombo instead!
If you are having a wedding, be prepared for very invasive hotel guests shoving their iPads in your face or parading around your ceremony in their pants (yes, that did happen).
- saw various suites - they varied significantly in terms of quality and outlook. Poor value.
This could be a spectacular hotel if the right team got their hands on it. Sad to visit such a historic, decaying place with a corner cutting refurb.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- With a history spanning over 200 years, Mount Lavinia Hotel Colombo is one of the oldest hotels in Sri Lanka. This premier colonial heritage hotel in Colombo has earned a reputation over the years for its magnificent structure and ambiance, the old world charm which harks back to the grandeur of old Ceylon, a romantic legacy left by the colonial Governor General who used it as his residence, the exceptional service offered by its well-trained staff and its popularity as a venue for weddings. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Hotels.com, Expedia, Ctrip TA, Booking.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Mount Lavinia Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.