“I cannot believe i paid 4700 LKR for this.”

Anarva Ayurveda Spa
More attraction details
Owner description: As part of its vision to popularize authentic Sri Lankan Ayurveda and promote healthy lifestyles to stressed up executives and busy housewives, Siddhalepa Ayurveda Hospital at Mount Lavinia, the pioneer private Ayurveda Hospital in Sri Lanka, opened the new Ayurveda Spa wing under the brand name 'Anarva" in 2006 . Anarva Ayurveda Spa provides short duration (20 to 90 minutes) as well as full day and half day Spa Rituals for toning of skin, stress relief and slimming among other treatments.
Reviewed 7 March 2017 via mobile

I had 30 minutes head massage and 1 hr body massage. Before going into massage, i made it very clear that i have severe back, shoulder, neck pain so i would like my therapist to focus on those areas. But my therapist just rubbed my body with oil and that was it. She didnt apply any strong pressure at all. In fact, she was just touching my skin. She didnt even massage my shoulder, neck and back at all. Also, they use oil which smells like fish vinegar( i dunno if there is such a thing but it smells like rotten fish mixed with vinegar ). For head massage, she literally poured 100ml of oil onto my head so my hair was covered with oil. When i was done with the head massage, my hair looked like i didnt wash my hair for 3 yrs because it was damped with huge amount of fish vinegar smelling oil(im not even exaggerating. Ive never had massage with this kind of bad odor oil in my entire life). After head massage, i requested if i could change my therapist because she just couldnt apply strong pressure. But they said theres no other therapist. During the discussion, they made me wait for 20 minutes in the room. And for body massage, i only got 40 minute massage even though i paid for 1 hr massage. My therapist came in and kept on going but i didnt feel relaxed at all. Also no one at this spa spoke English. There was someone called "doctor" but she was very bad at English so I couldnt communicate with her either. My therapist did not know a single word in English. She didnt even understand the word "strong" , "pressure", "not ok" etc. I had to teach her how to massage my body and this was just ridiculous. I cannot believe i had to endure 70 minutes of frustration after paying 4700 rupees for nothing. If you have given high score for this spa, its either you are very generous or had a better therapist with mediocre english level and good skill.

6  Thank Alice S
"treatment"
in 13 reviews
"colombo"

Reviewed 16 December 2016 via mobile

My husband and I called the day previous day to make a booking for a full body massage for myself as well as a shirodasa head massage for him. We confirmed our appointment for 5pm the following day.

We arrive for our appointment- receptionist is pleasant and we are ushered into another room that is very hot and dim. We are told to wait there to see the 'doctor'.

We are taken together to the doctors office where she is with what appears to be a nurse or doctors assistant. We greet her and are met with a glaring look and no reply. She asks what treatments we are here for - as we mention the shirodasa, she just abruptly says 'no'. We ask her why, as we confirmed our appt for that very service. She just kept shaking her head and saying no, and that there is no time to do it. Note my massage was to be 60 mins and the shirodasa 45 minutes - so how could there be no time. Repeated requests to know why there was an issue was met with her ignoring us. Note she spoke perfect English so it was not a language barrier. At this time she calls in the other staff and they proceed to insult us in Sinhalese! I understand Sinhalese perfectly and could not believe what I was hearing! This woman is disgustingly rude with a massive chip on her shoulder- as if she is the surgeon general of the world and is above communicating with those who come into her business. I have seen more professionalism at a lemonade stand than this place.

The doctor referenced in prior reviews must have left the building and this witch is her successor as from the get go this doctor only cared about how many services she can wrangle you in for and didn't ask one single question pertaining to health etc.

Avoid unless you like being insulted and disparaged and treated like you aren't in the room while they talk over you and insult you.

6  Thank Elle4
Reviewed 3 November 2016 via mobile

Visited a few spas here and had bad experiences so I didn't expect much when I went to Anarva. However, the staff here treated us well and were very professional before, during and after the treatment. I liked how they had male therapists for males and female therapists for females. If you're considering going here I'd suggest you go for the full body oil massage. And if you're a lady, get Ranga; she is a soft spoken nice therapist and I guarantee you she will take good care of you!

Reviewed 19 July 2016 via mobile

Went here with my partner. We booked in advanced. Females are massaged by other females and males are massaged by other males. We both got a 90 minute massage which cost just under 5200 rupee each. Prior to being massaged you are seen by a doctor who asks you a few basic health questions about any injuries, recent surgery etc then you get given a receipt and pay at a superset cashier.

Once the formalities are done you are taken into men's/ladies change rooms. You're given a locker and advised to change into disposable underwear and a gown. Just a warning for those with better bodies, these gowns are made for small Sri Lankan bodies. After this you're taken into another room and the massage starts. I really enjoyed my massage and I was absolutely covered head to toe in oil so I can see why they get you change into disposal clothes. The facilities are fairly clean however because the building is old it doesn't help the change room look clean.

At the end of the massage you're given the chance to shower however as we were going straight to the hotel I was advised that the oil is good for the skin and just to wipe the excess oil off and have a shower at the hotel. My skin did feel good after the shower.

To anyone that is going here I'd recommend wearing clothes you don't mind getting oil on.

Tips are expected. We saw a local lady tip 100 rupees which seemed fair so we went with that.

I would definitely recommend this place to travelers as I have never experienced a massage like it and it was unique to me.

2  Thank Legolas_Twinkletoes