All reviewswonderful hoststhe riversri lanka tripminute paddleinteresting artlong flightdetached bungalowwe loved our stayswimming pool issri lankan lifefour nightscommon areasjet lagcurrynice pooltuk tukleo
Reviewed 1 January 2017

This place is awesome, and great value. I totally recommend it!
It is run by a very friendly couple that take great care about the place to create a perfect blend between a personalised and a standard luxurious resort where everything works perfectly fine.

I visited the place with my family, when we stayed three nights in lovely bungalow styled houses. They were clean and beautiful. The breakfast is very good, and the set menu dinner is really excellent. It was the best introduction to Sri Lankan food. Kitchen is also very clean. The dining hall is very nice too, although our favourite place was probably to hang around the pool. Wi-fi is good but only works around the common areas, which is fine as they are totally relaxing to stay around.

The whole place is surrounded with lush greenery, with good view of the river. You can borrow kayaks for free and go on a short adventure on the river, surrounded by mangroves and forests, where you see beautiful birds and perhaps a monitor lizard. You can leave your kayaks at the sand banks close to the river and meet the wild ocean across the sand. It’s a majestic encounter.

I loved this place!

• Stayed: December 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank TravellingBurr
Reviewed 17 December 2016

This is my third stay in Ging Oya Lodge and as previously it did not disappoint. I stayed with various members of my family, some of whom had not been to Sri Lanka before and it seems the perfect way to start the holiday by relaxing after a long flight before going on a sightseeing tour. Beautiful environment, things to do if you want, good food and hospitality as well as a good attention to detail which can be lacking in some hotels within a similar price range. It offers excellent value for money and I am sure you could not find a hotel of a similar standard for such a cheap price. One of the best in Sri Lanka !

• Stayed: December 2016, travelled with family
4  Thank SophieKettle
Reviewed 15 November 2016 via mobile

This lodge is one of the most relaxing places I have ever been. We have spent the last 3 nigths of our trip in this paradise.
You have your own big bungalow with a veranda and a bathroom which is unique. The lodge is surrounded by mangroves (private area of the lodge) and a river. It is possible to rent a canoe from the hosts for free to discover the river. The nature and the animals are amazing. The very friendly owner of the lodge have created a very special atmosphere in this lodge. We have enjoyed the very tasty dinners every evening. We highly recommend everybody to spend some time in this lodge.

Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank XeniaP121
Reviewed 15 November 2016 via mobile

It would have been the obvious choice after my arrival in Sri Lanka to start my adventure at one of the many beaches but somehow I felt I wanted to start my trip in a much more special way.

After some research I found Ging Oya lodge, on the banks of the Ging River. Located on a 6 acre plot of land amidst a lush tropical garden this looked like exactly the peaceful environment I was looking for.

And I was right! As soon as we left Negombo I could feel the buzz fade away and soon the surroundings became much greener. We arrived at the gate of Ging Oya Lodge and once they were opened I became speechless, as did my taxi driver. A long driveway, surrounded by an arch of trees and bamboo immediately made me realize that this place was different, this place was special. At the end of it we found the entrance of Ging Oya Lodge.

I was welcomed by Leo, the owner and caretaker of Ging Oya and not much later was introduced to his wonderful wife Myrjam. Then I was brought to my spacious and spotlessly clean colonial style bungalow. It was beautifully decorated but not in an overwhelming way, simple and classy so it blended in with the breathtaking environment. Air conditioning is provided and the bathroom is semi-open plan which gives you the feeling showering in a secluded garden, also plenty of amnemeties area available to give you that luxury feel.

There is nothing in this place I would change, there was nothing I missed. A large and inviting pool, a wonderful garden to wonder around, all surrounded by the Ging river.

Canoes as well as bikes are provided for tours in the area, an extensive library and board games so one could wonder why to ever leave.

In the evening a fantastic set three course meal, cooked by Leo was served. Spicy, but not overwhelmingly spicy and a complex layer of flavores. My first evening I had a tasty pumpkin soup, white fish curry, dahl, rice and a side salad. A home made sorbet completed this wonderful meal but I was to tired to stay awake for ta or coffee. I went to my bungalow for a long long sleep in my extremely comfortable bed knowing the mosquitos would not bother me as I was covered by a clamboo.

Breakfast was of the same high standard, with fresh fruit juice, tea or coffee, bananas, that, a collection of jams and eggs prepared to my linking.

I spend another day at Ging Oya relaxing while I enjoyed the stunning environment and in the afternoon I used one of the canoes for a trip to the beach which is only 15 minutes away.

I can only highly recommend this wonderful place where Leo and Myrjam do their utter best to please you and tell you about the birds and animals you can find and listen to during your stay. It is truly a secluded and tranquil place for nature lovers and it it obvious Leo and Myrjam put their heart and soul in it. You won't get easily bored here, even for longer stays. It is so special, so different and so tranquil it is hard to describe. I absolutely loved my stay over here!!!

When I left Ging Oya I felt totally rejuvenated from my long journey to Sri Lanka. I was now ready for exploring this beautiful country and was extremely pleased I had chosen Ging Oya as the start of my holiday instead of a place at the beach. And in case you still want to go to the beach... It is only a 15 minute canoe ride or easy stroll away. Do yourself a favor and come to Ging Oya for at least a couple of days, like myself, you will not regret it.

Stayed: November 2016, travelled solo
3  Thank Marc_Willemsen
Reviewed 2 October 2016 via mobile

That was our last two days in Sri Lanka after one month traveling all around and this is the only guest house where we never felt welcome. Hosts should learn from Sri lankian how to receive guests. Very cold reception and poor breakfast. Wifi cut as from 10 am (time of check out) because we were told that we were not guests anymore although our flight was late in the afternoon. The same for the swimming pool. Although the rooms are beautiful and in a wonderful area, you should know that it's completely remote from everything. Tuk tuk (expensive) is the only way to get out of the guest house.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family