“Great spot when stuck in Blue River”

Sandman Inn Blue River
Ranked #1 of 1 Blue River B&B and Inns
Burnaby, Canada
“Great spot when stuck in Blue River”
Reviewed 12 August 2011

I was merrily on my way, moving to Vancouver (from Edmonton) with all my possessions on the 26 ft U-haul truck (which was also pulling a trailer with a car on it) and a rear tire blew just 10 km out of Blue River at 10PM on a Friday night. It was a very stressful experience, not because I was being eaten alive by mosquitoes while trying to get my car off the trailer in the dark… but because my wife was driving in another vehicle pulling another trailer and she was missing, and there was NO cell service for the next 150Km!! After a trying for a good 1.5 hours I managed to get the high-centred car off the trailer and then headed off to find my wife who was hopefully just up ahead waiting for me… After 2 hours searching motels and gas stations for 100Km I assumed the worst, and that she was also assuming the worst of my situation. At midnight I discovered the helpful managers of the Sandman Inn in Blue River and was luckily able to secure their last room. Stephen was extremely helpful with suggestions regarding my situation and had the brainwave to check with the RCMP. At around 2 AM my wife was located and all was well with her. My room at the Sandman was newly renovated and spotless and I couldn’t believe all the amenities for the cost effective price I paid. It unfortunately took u-haul around 18 hours to repair their truck and the managers took many many coordination calls from u-haul and patiently attempted to find me in the restaurant and out in the parking lot. They went far beyond the call of duty to assist with the situation.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Greg C
Sandman_Blue_River, Manager at Sandman Inn Blue River, responded to this review, 26 December 2012
Thank you very much for your review. I am very happy that my wife and myself were able to assist you and help you with Uhaul. We try very hard to meet or exceed our customers expectations and it is great to hear when we have succeeded.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Prince George
Reviewed 8 August 2011

This Sandman is not like Langley's Sandman but, not bad. not bad at all.
The rooms have been refurbished including the washrooms.
The hallways are very dated but clean. Same with the lobby.
The parking is not too bad.
There is an attached restaurant off the lobby. It's pretty good.
The staff is very nice. Very friendly.
There is no cell service in Blue River. None. Not even a peep of 1/2 a bar on the cell.
I will probably stay there again due to it being clean and also having very nice staff.

Room Tip: There is NO cell service. As long as you know that in advance. I didn't. But that's okay.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
Thank you very much for your review. You will be very happy to learn that Telus has set up a cell tower in Blue River. It does require a 4G or beter phone but it does mean we now have cell service available.
Edmonton
Reviewed 3 August 2011

We (2 couples) stayed here while en route from Edmonton to Vancouver and found the rooms to be clean and recently renovated. The beds were comfortable, the bathroom was in good repair & clean, and the "kitchenette" was very new.

The hallways, common areas, and exterior show wear and one can tell that it's an older building that has probably had more than one facelift.

The price was reasonable, although since we paid extra because we had 4 adults in the room, we would have appreciated the room having enough towels, coffee, etc. for 4 adults.

The wi-fi was horribly slow, which was really unfortunate, since we specifically chose this hotel on our route because of the lack of internet access in other hotels (we require it for work). Although not a fault of the hotel, there is no cellular voice OR data coverage in Blue River.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
Thank you very much for your review. I would like to let you know that the satalite internet company we deal with has upgraded thier service and we know have 5 GB up and download speeds available to us. It is still satalite so that is shared but it is mich better than it was when you stayed here.
Burnaby, British Columbia
Reviewed 16 July 2011

We were fortunate to get a room at the Sandman after getting caught in a massive traffic blockage on the Yellowhead Highway, which was completely closed for 14 hours. I would have been happy to get any room at all after having to turn around and drive back over 60 km to Blue River, but the Sandman was an unexpected pleasure. Newly renovated rooms, and a decent restaurant for dinner and breakfast the next day. Despite being completely full we had no trouble sleeping and heard nothing from the other guests - good soundproofing and comfortable beds. Very clean and most helpful staff.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank ebianco
Thank you very much for your kind review. We try very hard to meet or exceed the expectations of our guests and I am very pleased to see that we succeeded with you.
Revelstoke, Canada
Reviewed 24 February 2011

If your looking for outdoor adventure, then Blue River is a awesome choice. It being winter time all I could wait to do is finally get out to sled. Myself and a buddy stayed at the newly renovated Sandman Blue River.

The rooms were very up to date and clean. The furniture, beds, TV's of this property were outstanding. I ve stayed at some of the higher end hotels that didnt even come close to the look and feel of this hotel. The restaurant onsite came in handy for early breakfast and late dinner. I recommend the Pizza or cutlets.

The weather was great, the riding was great, my experience was great!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank needaholiday15
Thank you very much for your kind words. We are a destination for many sledders and are very please to see you had a great weekend. We hope to see you again soon.