See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 19 July 2018

My best friend and I spent our girl's weekend touring PEC and staying at the Beside the Vines B&B made the trip even more wonderful. Gayle and Ron were extremely welcoming and ensured we had everything to make our stay comfortable. With comfortable beds, to amazing home cooked breakfasts to giving us advice where to eat, what to visit. The location of the B&B was very central and made travelling to different locations in PEC a min of 10 minutes in all directions. They also accommodated my vegetarian diet. Would highly recommend at stay at this B&B~

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 July 2017 via mobile

My boyfriend and I had a wonderful time at Beside the Vines B&B. Gayleand Ron were very helpful and made sure that we had all the comforts that we needed.

I would absolutely stay here again!

Cecile and Doug

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tjcjcc
Reviewed 8 May 2017

Gracious home, comfortable beds, nice linens, varied breakfast and Gayle and Ron are knowledgeable about what Prince Edward County has to offer.

Beaches, bucolic country roads through farmland, bird watching, small towns offering good food and wineries with art.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank Shelagh B
Reviewed 5 October 2016 via mobile

4 of us had the pleasure of staying at Gayle and Ron's bed and breakfast. It was a wonderful experience. The hosts were extremely accommodating and went out of their way to provide helpful information since we did not know the area. Breakfast was amazing, with fresh homemade items. They also went out of their way to address one of the ladies vegan requirements. I would definitely stay there again and recommend this B&B !

Stayed: October 2016
Reviewed 4 September 2016

I was shocked by how awful this experience was. I have traveled extensively around the world and really think that these hosts would benefit from a stay at a B&B themselves to understand what 'hospitality' is supposed to be like:

1. No keys for rooms or front door. We were told to keep our valuables in the car.
2. No additional comforts in our room, even kleenex. No coffee, fridge, etc.
3. I asked to keep wine in the fridge in their kitchen and was rudely told 'no'. When I asked why, Ron said that I wouldn't know where to find it again because I wouldn't know which fridge he'd put it in. "People usually bring coolers". Unfortunately, I didn't have a cooler with me!
4. Grey eggs for breakfast. Inedible.

I feel bad about writing this review. I understand that for Gayle, owning a B&B is a dream come true, but I honestly don't think this couple has a clue about what a good bed and breakfast should be like or the minimum level of hospitality required. Ron was mostly awkwardly rude and downright unwelcoming - probably not sharing Gayle's dream!

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled with friends
Ron C, Owner at Beside the Vines Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 8 September 2016

We are so sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us. I will comment on your points one at a time so as not to miss anything. We have stayed in B & B’s all around the world including the UK, Italy, Australia and of course right across Canada, so we are familiar with what hospitality other B & B’s provide. We feel we are well within the majority of B & B’s and our guests, by and large, have agreed with us, most with enthusiasm. Unfortunately, we have not measured up to your expectations.
1) “No keys.” We have reviewed this with our security expert (yes we have one) and with our insurance agent, (who insures B & B’s and hotels exclusively). Both are quite comfortable with our arrangements. We are out in the country, and have no unexpected drive-up or walk-by visitors as you would find in the city or other urban area. No one in our neighbourhood locks their doors. As for the rooms, they do lock from the inside but are not keyed. If you were to lock the door before leaving, upon your return you would have to find me to open the door. As I am not always available, I always suggest that if guests are uncomfortable leaving any valuables in an unlocked room, that they should take them with them and lock the items in the trunk of their car. Most visitors’ valuables consist of women’s purses and men’s wallets. Generally they take them with them when they are out and about, in any case. You seemed to feel that this was an imposition as we had other guests and you felt there was too great a risk to leave anything in the room. That is certainly your right to feel that way.
2) “No additional comforts in our room, even kleenex. No coffee, fridge, etc.” If you had read our website and the BB Canada site, you would have seen what additional comforts are available in the room. There are facial tissues in every room, bath robes, amenities including soap, shampoo, skin moisturizer, a vanity pack, louffa, and a toothbrush. We provide unlimited bottled water in every room. All of these items were pointed out to you when you checked in as part of our normal orientation process. We make no claim to having a fridge in any room. Coffee, tea and orange juice is provided with breakfast every morning.
3) “I asked to keep wine in the fridge in their kitchen…” We routinely put guest’s items such as wine, beer, cheese and freezer packs in our fridge or freezer and return them to them upon asking. With respect, when you asked to put your beers in the fridge, I said fine I would put them in a fridge for you and you could have it back upon asking for it. You wanted to come and get one whenever you wanted by yourself. This would entail walking through our personal space at any time. As a policy, we feel that we need to have some boundaries and share the same security concerns you do about any guest having access to our valuables when we are not there. You should be aware that after your stay, Gayle and I discussed this issue and we now have Styrofoam coolers for each room and provide them with ice whenever a guest would like to put their food and drink in a cool place. We are sorry we did not have this alternative available to you during your stay.
4) Grey eggs for breakfast. Eggs are cooked fresh every morning individually for each guest. The cause of grey eggs can be any one of three things: too much beating, putting cream cheese in the eggs before they are beaten and too much oil. It is possible your eggs were over-beaten. We do not put cream cheese in our eggs. We use very little oil as we use le creuset non-stick frying pans. You are the only person who did not eat their eggs. We are sorry you did not like them, but you did not say anything and you did eat the meat (sausage, bacon or ham, I don’t remember which was served that day). Additionally, there are always ample alternative food choices available such as muffins, English muffins, breads, yogurt and cereal, to name a few.
In terms of hospitality, you have conveniently forgotten that you and your girlfriend requested an early check-in which we accommodated. You also requested an early breakfast of high protein foods on the first morning, which we accommodated. Unfortunately, it was a very rainy weekend, which put a damper on your dragon boat races. This may have in part coloured your view of the whole weekend, making it “Not worth the drive”.