“Lovely Rooms, Amazing Food”

Elm Hurst Inn & Spa
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Ingersoll
Kitchener
“Lovely Rooms, Amazing Food”
Reviewed 12 March 2012

My fiance and I stayed here Wednesday evening because we had a Groupon deal. We upgraded to the Jacuzzi room and enjoyed our stay very much. The room was very nice and clean, the bathroom is very modern and was spotless. We had a comfy king sized bed and loved how the Jacuzzi was in the bedroom, so we could relax in there, while watching TV.

We ate dinner in the Mansion Restaurant. The room we were seated in, was somewhat small, and even though there were a few other fellow diners, it was awkwardly quiet. My fiance and I just brushed it off and ordered our food. He had the Pork Tenderloin and I ordered the Chicken Parmesan. Let me tell you something... we would consider ourselves real foodies, and we've dined at many upscale restaurants, but this was the best food we've ever tasted. I couldn't believe something as simple as Chicken Parmesan could taste so amazing! And the Pork Tenderloin, absolutely scrumptious. We then understood why the room was so quiet, everyone was enjoying their food too much to even talk! We heard an elderly couple beside us rave about the food as well. I didn't order an appetizer because I wanted to leave room for dessert, but my portion was too big and we had it packed to go. We were also served complimentary bread with whipped butter and cream cheese, my fiance enjoyed that very much. Our server was OK. He did his job to a minimum and served us, but wasn't entirely present, or looked excited to be there.

Now our server at breakfast, she was amazing! Very lovely lady, happy and eager to please. When there was no scrabbled egg left, a gentleman informed the server, and within minutes, she brought out a fresh batch, and served him at his table, even before refilling the buffet. Breakfast was served in a much larger dining room. I read a few other reviews about the buffet not having any meat (bacon or sausage) and I believe management took this into consideration because when we went, there was bacon! They had a wonderful assortment of foods, and juices, it was very satisfying and a wonderful start to our day.

We stayed in room 121, which I don't believe was in a good location on the property. It was on the lower floor and right beside the Spa. The entire floor had a distinct smell, which I think could be the chlorine from the hot tub/sauna? As well, our window was facing the back parking lot, and we could literally see people walking in through the back door, so I would request for a room on the main floor or upper floor.

We'll be dining at the seafood buffet at the end of this month, and will definitely stay here again. It was a very relaxing one night getaway and we'll book one of the suites next time.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 121, which I don't believe was in a good location on the property. It was on t...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank sLuvS2travel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Waterloo, Canada
Reviewed 3 March 2012

We stayed at the Elm Hurst Inn because my husband and I were attending a wedding there and we were thrilled with our stay. The discounted rate for wedding guests was VERY reasonable and despite the hotel being busy with wedding preparations, hotel staff were able to prepare our room early so that I could get ready for the wedding. The room was large enough that fellow wedding guests spent time in between the ceremony and reception in our room; however, other rooms were not quite as big as ours and we're not sure how we ended up with such a great room.

The wedding itself was beautiful. An outdoor ceremony and nicely laid out reception venue. A great venue for a wedding with some beautiful photographs taken. Breakfast in the morning was just what we needed. My husband and I will definitely return when we need an escape from the city.

The only thing to be aware of is that the walls are not sound proof and you can easily hear the people in the rooms next to you.

Overall, we were very impressed and would return!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 000jill
Ontario
Reviewed 25 February 2012

Recently stayed at the inn for "stay and spa" package. Room was tastefully decorated very nice bathroom with large walk in shower. Small fridge in room and desk area with wifi available.
The spa itself was disappointing as the whirlpool was broken and the steam room was not working properly. Staff however were very nice. Aveda products offered for sale.
I had booked the Caribbean body treatment and was very impressed by this 90 minute treatment. Very well done!
Breakfast buffet included cold cerals, yogurt, breads and pasteries as well as scrambled eggs and hashbrowns. Very surprising that a "Country buffet breakfast" would not include any meat.
Staff were courteous and I would come again, even if only for a spa treatment.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
ElmHurstInnkeeper, Public Relations Manager at Elm Hurst Inn & Spa, responded to this review, 28 February 2012
Dear kluvs2travel,
Thank you for your comments. I am glad you enjoyed our newly-renovated Inn Rooms during your recent 'Stay and Spa' getaway. Our Aveda Spa will be undergoing renovations this spring, so do come back for another treatment!
Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 24 February 2012

We stayed here on a Wednesday night for my husband's birthday. I chose this place because of proximity, word they had renovated the rooms, and I had stayed here before and enjoyed it.

I booked the deal with Groupon because it saved me about $50.00 per night. It was $10.00 to upgrade to a suite, which I am glad I did. Check-in went well, very courteous staff as the other reviews mention. We had a 2 room, jacuzzi suite, and the room was very large with a beautiful view and many windows. I ordered chocolate covered strawberries, and they were fabulous. I found it convenient that the room offered large bottles of wine to purchase on the mini bar instead of small bottles you see in most hotels. As well, they were reasonably priced.
We each had a pedicure done and they were good. Spa staff again, very friendly and professional.

From there we went to dinner, Now I have to say that my husband is a very picky eater, and isn't much for eating out for dinner. I think this is the first time in 8 years, he did not complain about one item of food on his plate. He loved the entire meal. The waiter suggested calamari and scallops which were a great recommendation. I had the salmon and it was terrific, my husband had the special which was sirloin with shrimp. The waiter did not tell us the price, and we should have asked, but were a bit surprised to see it was $43.00. A server may want to mention that.

The only thing that put a damper on the dinner was that it seemed the server didn't really want to be there. We felt rushed because there were only a few tables, and there wasn't a lot of privacy and he seemed in a hurry. No one wants to hurry a nice birthday dinner. He was a great server, and maybe it was an off night, but again a damper. I overheard him telling another customer that the Groupon deal went over well because there was a discount, but the hotel would get the money back other ways so they wouldn't lose out. Unprofessional because he was saying it so loud, others could hear it.

When I made reservations, I was told a hot breakfast was included. I assumed it would be off the menu, but it was buffet. Guests should be told it i a buffet, becasue there is a difference. When we looked at the buffet, it had many choices, but no meat. Although it is great the hotel offers this with your room, what hotel doesn't include meat on a hot breakfast buffet? Well, I found out that you could order meat off of the menu if you want it. And this would explain how the hotel makes their money back as per our server's comment. I found this low class of a hotel to do this. I have been at many, many inns, and I have never seen an inn charge for meat on a breakfast buffet when one is spending hundreds of dollars for one night.

Upon check out, there was one small problem with my bill, but that was quickly fixed.
The staff at this hotel really are excellent, and maybe it comes from them liking their owners, which all said were wonderful. The only issues we had were with the couch in our suite. The room has been renovated, so why leave an old stained couch in there with a beautiful room?

We asked for another robe because there was only one in the suite, and were told there were no more. The inn wasn't full and one should have been taken from another room to accomodate the customer. I have never understood why hotels only give you one robe when there are two people staying in the room.

The bed in our room wasn't attached to the wall, so every time one of us moved during the night, the head board hit the wall. No sleep at all. The bed was very comfortable though.

When I called the hotel to make dinner reservations, I was told there was the regular menu and the chef's menu which was $39.50 for 3 courses, Monday to Friday. It wasn't even offered at dinner for whatever reason, with no explanation. Maybe a mis-understanding, or another way for the hotel to make money.

Thank you for a great stay, we hope to be back for some more delicious food.

Room Tip: Ask for a suite
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank hotsally
Dear hotsally,
Thank you for choosing Elm Hurst Inn & Spa for your husband's birthday getaway. I'm glad you both enjoyed your spa treatments and dinner. Your feedback is a great help to us in ensuring that, on a daily basis, we offer the consistent quality experience that our customers have come to expect for more than 20 years.
Michigan
Reviewed 22 February 2012

Elmhurst Inn is quite charming and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. Dinner in the Victorian Mansion was outstanding and the breakfast buffet was very good also. The staff is very friendly.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank DonMichigan
Dear DonMichigan,
I'm glad you were captivated by Elm Hurst's charms! Do stay with us again, and thank you for your comments.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ingersoll
Idlewyld Inn & Spa
#1 of 41 in London
Comfort Inn
#2 of 3 in Ingersoll
Hotel Metro
#6 of 41 in London
Central London
Delta Hotels by Marriott London Armouries

Been to Elm Hurst Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!