“Excellent cuisine and good friendly service . . . Popular restaurant”

Grand Electric Muskoka
Ranked #6 of 21 Restaurants in Port Carling
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 15 July 2017

While up at the cottage, for both lunches and dinners, I have eaten at this Port Carling restaurant. The food at this Mexican cuisine restaurant is relatively consistently good and the service friendly, quick, and attentive. My favourites are the Shrimp al Diablo, Ceviche Mexicana, lemon chicken, spicy chicken taco, and the key lime pie. The latter is served more like a pudding presentation, but very good.

The waitress was attentive and saw to our requests.

Relative to other restaurants, I’d classify it as on the pricey side for the cuisine you get but likely average value for money by Muskoka Lakes standards, and very good to excellent cuisine quality . . . but not fine dining. The restaurant caters to a somewhat younger crowd . . . or at least, young relative to me.

During mid-June through mid-September, reservations are recommended as it is a favourite of many cottagers.

Watch out for the drinks. They add up and can easily bring the meal for two cost to $100 or more.

Great views of the water.

Reviewed 8 July 2017 via mobile

Delicious tacos and margaritas but service was very slow when we wanted to order more tacos. Tacos are reasonably priced but other items like chips and dip and ceviche seemed expensive.

Reviewed 4 July 2017 via mobile

Walked up to the not so crowded bar to order a smoothie and waited 10 mins for any server to even acknowledge me. One guy eventually did, but then did absolutely nothing about it. Eventually one of the other servers asked me if I have been helped and took my order. She asked the guy to make the smoothie which he seemed all too pissed about while she made something else. Still no one had helped me to pay and I was holding the card ready to pay the whole time. I then watched as he cleaned coffee filters, cleaned machines, and filled up random bottles. All he had done for the smoothie is put ice in a blender. After 10 mins of this I walked out and left. The women who helped me was nice and helpful, the guy however did care at all and was super rude. I've been many times, and each time he has been rude. I will not be returning.

Reviewed 2 July 2017 via mobile

The restaurant attempts to be different, but at a fault. The food comes out when it's cooked as opposed to all at the same time, which is great because it's hot and fresh, but one could argue a chef could time out the food so all could eat. They also bring the food out on a shared plate. If three people order the same taco it comes on one plate and you're to pass the food around to the appropriate people that ordered it. Works in theory until people forget exactly what they ordered. We had a large group ordering a lot of food, so some people forgot how many of which they ordered. They also don't let you split your bill with exactly what you ordered for some reason. Overall it probably would be fine with a small group, it didn't work at all with a larger one.

Reviewed 26 June 2017 via mobile

Great waterfront views and ambiance, but tacos over $5 that are really small (like REALLY small) are hard to swallow. See menu unposted before going to avoid sticker shock.