“Get serious about food quality or close- embarrassing to PEI”
Review of Sand Box Pub and Eatery - CLOSED

Sand Box Pub and Eatery
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner
Reviewed 20 August 2013

I ate at the Sandbox today, we had a party of 6. While the server was pleasant the décor and feel of this place really started our experience off on the bad foot. A high point was that they served kids meals, very expensive kids meals. Five ordered fish and chips. The fish was certainly modest in size and overcooked. How can you possibly overcook a staple on your menu. The fish was poor, dry and chewy. To go with the fish was this spicy sauce that they called tartar. Not tasty at all. Just poor. I ordered whole clams and chips. The clams were awful, once again over cooked. The order was also embarrassingly small as were the clams themselves. Just brutal. To top this whole mess off was the French Fries. How can you possibly get terrible fries on PEI, the potato capital of the world. They were this terrible coated variety, soggy and absolutely tasteless. In a nutshell the Sandbox reflects very poorly on PEI. This place should close if they are not prepared to get serious about the quality of food they serve to those visiting the Island. Terrible food, average service, high prices = poor value. My first ever food comment on line, trust that the Sandbox is not worth the stop.

2  Thank louisb143

Reviewed 11 August 2013

We ordered take out - 2 club houses and a BLT - cost us $44.15. Two were with fries and one with rice. The rice was the only good part. They turned out to be glorified burgers. The club house was actually a piece of grilled chicken with lettuce and tomato and the BLT was a veggie burger with salty bacon. Both were on Kaiser buns. These burgers had a sauce on them tasting like herbs had been added to miracle whip...yuck! We tried to eat them because we were really hungry, but my daughter couldn't eat any of it and we threw most of ours away. The chips were not burnt but soggy, and like a lead weight in your stomach after eating them. We didn't realize until a bit further down the road or we would have returned and demanded a refund. After reading previous reviews, it seems to have been going on for some time, and although tourism is so important, this is a black eye. I would advise fellow tourists to be cautious if this is a sample of what is acceptable in the Cavendish area.

Reviewed 8 August 2013

Unfortunately we weren't really impressed. It was our first visit to the restaurant and we both wanted seafood. We ordered fish and chips and they were out of fish and ordered a Budweiser which they were also out of. My boyfriend got a chicken stir fry and I got a lobster dinner which had a very small lobster that wasn't cracked very well and some French fries and that's it for 20.00. I had a drink also and the bill was 66.00. The service was ok not over the top but I'm sure the girls were tired and had a busy day. We might have just hit it at the wrong time not sure but probably wouldn't go back. Sorry

Reviewed 5 August 2013

My family (me, husband, 1yr old son) went to the Sandbox for dinner. The food was very good. Service was average. There is no play area, just an empty spot where a play area used to be. Sweet Potato fries were delicious (the extra $3.99 was a bit much for them). Good place to sit out on the patio, but not much to look at inside.

Reviewed 3 August 2013

I disliked the cost. I know I am a tourist but seriously.
Poor quality, poor value.
Gave them a chance last year, didn't enjoy it.
Gave them a second chance this year and they blew it.
It is what it is. at least if I order clams, give me some tartar sauce to go with them. They missed even the basic rules of serving.
Only good thing about this place is how close it was to our Chalet.
Never going back