1,927 results
All reviews local host quiet pool room service spa treatments dinner reservations signature massage brick oven pizza in room dining swim up room ocean front volcanic stone legendary members la escondida the mexican restaurant all inclusive resort filet pool servers
Reviewed 2 April 2018

My husband and I stayed at Unico for 2 weeks (end of Jan, first week of Feb). We are Hall of Fame members and have been going to Palace/Hardrock resorts for about the last 11 years staying at most of the locations including Le Blanc which Unico is supposed to be compared to. The staff is friendly, and the grounds are stunning. I really liked the décor and I wanted to take most of it home. We had an ocean front room on the 4th floor above the 2087 restaurant. We often stayed at the quiet pool which was heated- however on really hot days near the afternoon it felt like you were swimming in soup so it would be nice to have the temperature a bit lower. I would also have liked to have a drink menu at this pool as I wasn’t sure what to order at first. Charlie, Enrique and Memo were so attentive with drinks and moving the umbrella for shade. Selene- our local host- was awesome. She was so helpful and took time to check in with us every day.

Restaurants:
We found the food to be good however at times inconsistent. We went to the Italian one night and it was delicious. We went back a few nights later and ordered the same thing- it was like we were at a different restaurant. It was fine but not as good as before. This happened on a few other nights at the other restaurants. We were told that the head chef had prepared the first meal but since he was off this night and now it was a different chef.

There were a few times when meat was undercooked and felt really rushed. On two separate occasions we had a steak and a burger that was raw. This was sent back and corrected quickly. The kitchen seemed a bit under staffed- I would often have to wait in the morning for breakfast with 2 staff trying to run 3 stations. We often opted for room service which was always perfect!
As mentioned, we have stayed at many resorts- this resort you basically have to make a reservation if you expect to get into a restaurant. The first time trying to book reservations we were told our options were 9-9:30 pm. We ended up booking the rest of our stay at 6:30/7 pm time slot that we preferred however it doesn’t feel very luxurious to book your meals a week in advance. I’ve never had to do this before.

My Major Complaint:
During our second week, we started to hear hammering and carts rolling from 1-4am but we couldn’t figure out where it was coming from. This was not standard guests making noise- who really wouldn’t be hammering at 3 am. We were assured that construction is not permitted at this time as maintenance workers are only there during the day.

The next night however the hammers were there but now there was drilling (2-3am). My husband went into the hallway and could hear the drilling echoing throughout the hallways. We called the front desk and the drilling stopped after a while. We were told the next day that drilling did happen in the 2087 restaurant but after numerous complaints it was shut down. Based on this- we didn’t believe that no maintenance was happening at night since it was. We could still hear it for the rest of our stay and they admitted drilling was happening in the middle of the night already. This was also not typical noise from the restaurant e.g. dishes. They did offer to move us to another room however it would have a large palm tree right in front, so our ocean view would be basically gone.

We were happy to go home in the last week as we knew our home wouldn’t have all this noise and we could get some sleep for once. There seems to be some ongoing construction since this is a new resort. This resort is more on the expensive side, so it is unreasonable to have this noise continuing so late in the night. This really put a damper on our trip and left us feeling pretty irritated.
I know this is newer resort and often there are kinks to work out- however this hotel is owned by Hard Rock who already have numerous resorts. In the last few years they converted the Punta Cana Palace to Hard Rock and they continue to build and open new resorts. I would think that it’s pretty obvious that maintenance, especially DRILLING should not happen when guests are trying to sleep. We will return to this resort next year as we have a free week to use but I really hope some of these issues are improved especially when it’s being provided as feedback.

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
Fernando_Garcia2087, Gerente at UNICO 20°N 87° Hotel Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2018

Dear Vanessa S,

Thank you so much for posting your review in regards of your recent stay at UNICO 20°87°. We are very glad to know that your overall experience was great and you could receive the service you deserve from our staff. Also I would like to thank you for sharing with us all your concerns; we apologize for the inconvenience during your dinner, make sure that your comments will be passed to our Executive Chef, in order to take corrective measures and prevent situations like this from reoccurring. About the situation during the night I will give personal follow up with the rest of the management team to make sure this won't happen again and guarantee the best of the experiences to our dear guests.

Thank you for taking some of your time, posting your review. Hope we can have the honor of your visit in the near future to improve your experience.

Warm Regards,

Fernando García
UNICO 20°87°

Reviewed 1 April 2018

We just returned yesterday from our 10-year wedding anniversary trip and I just can't say enough about this wonderful resort and our special time here. Our goal was relaxation and we received that and more. We stayed in bldg 1 at the swim up Alcoa room and we were not disappointed. The room is spectacular...wonderful designs with the attention to detail that comes with a luxury resort. I very much appreciate that all the furniture is of high quality--no "plastic" chairs on the patio or balcony. Rooms in bldg 1 are very secluded with minimal traffic and provide a direct bridge access to the beach. Try avoiding low number 1100 rooms closest to the wedding gazebo as they have a 6am wake up call with the "surf rake"--we were in room 1102 so we heard the tractor every morning but really it didn't bother me as I'm a morning person anyways. We also were able to see a beautiful young couple get married outside our patio. The swim up pool is divine. We used it almost every day. It came in handy on very windy days when the general pool area was crowded & the beach was too windy for umbrellas. The patios get morning sun so after about 1pm you can relax in the shade on the chaise lounges. The pool is cold as others have said but once you make the plunge it is so refreshing. We had the opportunity to upgrade to a 1 bedroom suite with an ocean view for an additional $100 per night but I had my heart set on the swim up pool and I don't regret that decision one bit. The food was visually pleasing, delicious and plentiful. The Italian restaurant was our favorite of the 4 we visited. Try the Octopus appetizer, the spaghetti with seafood and the panna cotta for dessert. The Mexican was our least favorite...we had the lamb & duck. My husbands lamb was okay, but the duck was overcooked--even after I asked for medium rare. But the pork and beef tongue appetizer was outstanding. We loved having all sushi one night at the Mura House which was very good variety & quality. We tried the Octopus Yakatori and loved the flavor. We also ate at the Teppan Yakki and met some very nice couples & a mother/daughter. I recommend that just to meet more people. Our anniversary celebration was at the 20 87 steakhouse. The food was outstanding but make sure that you go there when they have the full menu. One odd night they had a limited menu with only a salad bar and steak menu--no appetizers and "buffet" style desserts--very odd! One of my favorite daily stops was Cafe Inez. I loved my daily specialty coffees. Speaking of coffee. I loved having the Nespresso option in the room--made me feel right at home. We never tried the outdoor dinners--they had two the week we were there on Tuesday/Thursday. It looked like a nice way to meet others. We took advantage of the spa treatments & splurged on 3 each. The Shaman wrap was fabulous and the volcanic stone massage was one of the most relaxing massages I've ever had. Make sure you arrive 1 hour prior to your treatment time so you can take advantage of the hydrotherapy--it's well worth it. I enjoyed having a local host--Daniel. He booked our golf excursion and took care of any needs we had. The best amenity at Unico is their attention to service...pool service was spectacular and they even move the umbrellas for you during the day to protect you from the sun. I can't say enough about the service and the friendliness of the staff. Nothing is too much. Our local host and housekeeping set up our room on our anniversary night that made it very special. We went on two excursions: Golfing & Yalku extreme snorkeling. Both were excellent and we had a great time. The rest of the time we took in spa treatments, played tennis, took spinning & yoga classes (the one in the pool was interesting & fun). The gym is very well equipped and busy. There were alot of healthy folks at this resort! We didn't participate in any of the nightlife. As others have said, if you are looking for a party atmosphere, this isn't the place for you. Tips: If you like quiet by the pool, reserve your chair at La Escondida early in the day as it is small & most lounges with umbrellas are taken by 8:30am. If available, the attendants are more than happy to find an umbrella for you if you don't have one. You must try the ceviche...outstanding and comes in a variety of options. The local tacos are also the bomb! The staff is very good about food allergies & special diets such as gluten free, vegan, vegetarian, whole 30, paleo, etc. Use the app for ordering food in your room and at the beach/pool. We were not heavy drinkers but they spare no expense ensuring you always have plenty to drink. I also appreciated that there were several public restrooms all around the hotel..and ones directly in the restaurants...very clean all of the time. Also, this resort took paper waste very seriously...no paper towels in the restrooms or disposable cups with Cafe Inez being the exception. The not so goods: transfer back to the airport is way too early..even our local host agreed and he got them to book us a later time out since our flight did not leave until 5:30pm. We had a little hiccup with our local host since he was gone by the time we arrived at the hotel but he more than made up for that by the end of our stay--he was very attentive. Restaurants book up VERY early so I would recommend that you make your reservations for all of the restaurants with your local host on your first day. Really there are not so many "not so goods"...seriously this has been the BEST resort that we've ever stayed...I can't say enough about it & will be definitely coming back again......

Room Tip: Rooms in bldg 1 are very secluded with minimal traffic and provide a direct bridge access to the beach.
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank KitKatTX

Dear KitKatTX,

Thank you so much for sharing your latest experience at UNICO 20°87°. We are very glad to know that you had a wonderful experience and our staff made you feel like Royalty during your entire stay with us. I'm pleased to read that you enjoyed our food offer especially our ceviche and tacos. Thank you so much for all your kind words and for choosing our hotel as your travel destination. Hope we can have the honor to host you in the near future.

Warm Regards,

Fernando García
UNICO 20°87°

Reviewed 1 April 2018

Amazing! You will be assigned a personal assistant. To say you want for nothing is an understatement, The on-site six restaurants are 5 star. The staff is friendly and helpful. The hotel is less than one year old. The weather is perfect! Several swimming pools. Beautiful beach. Numerous bars and restaurants right on the property; you don't have to go anywhere else. All inclusive with 24 hour room service and no kids!! A Jacuzzi on every balcony. They do not cut corners, everything is top-notch. Please believe me, this will be the best vacation you ever take!

Stayed: February 2018
3  Thank Ronald Joseph C
Reviewed 1 April 2018

This resort was so great! The food was amazing, the service was wonderful everyone was so nice and eager to help you could tell they really loved their job, the resort was gorgeous and the attention to detail did not go unnoticed it was a great atmosphere!

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 31 March 2018 via mobile

My husband and I escaped the toronto cold during March Break and had an amazing one week stay at Unico. We've been to many all-inclusive resorts in various countries, this was by far the best so far.

Food: So so good, everywhere we ate, every single meal. Seriously. And I'm picky. All the restaurants were outstanding with excellent service. Even the Japanese restaurant had high quality dishes (surprising for Mexico). Our faves were the Mexican and Italian. The snack bars were awesome - good variety, poolside menu service. We loved the tacos and chicken ceasar.

Drinks: again, outstanding, especially the service. Being canadian, I love a good Ceasar. Most resorts we've been to don't even have clamato, but Unico staff made perfect Ceasars. The wine selection was ok. My husband was happy with the local beer selection, didn't really order American beers. The cocktails were made with real fruit and juice, not syrupy pre-made junk (think real Pina colada and strawberry daiquiri).

Rooms/Decor: our room (swim-up 6101) was beautiful. We loved the patio, but the pool connected to the swim-ups was pretty chilly. Still nice to cool off for a bit though. I loved the shower, pillows, slippers and baths robes. The overall decor of the resort is a beautiful mix of Mexican, art-deco, and modern. I was really impressed with the tile and woodwork throughout the entire resort. Major attention to detail in the decor, which I really appreciated.

Pools: we spent time at all 3 pools. The quiet pool was warmest. The other two pools were very nice, plenty of seating. Poolside service was really good, they even moved umbrellas around, upon request, as the sun changed. Water was served in a bucket of ice. The party pool wasn't too crazy. They had floating beer pong and other games. No loud staff on a mic which was great.

Beach: we love spending the day lounging on the beach, and this was the one downside to this location, but it was mostly because of the seaweed. There was alot, and the hotel did their best to remove it by using the raking trucks, but those are loud and annoying going back and forth. It smelled badly and swarms of tiny bugs would come following the truck each time it would pass. The chairs down there were good and there were always some available. Drink service by the beach was good.

Spa: Gorgeous. Professional. We did the couples massage and hydrotherapy. Highly recommend both.

Local Host: Daniel - he was really good! He went the extra mile to text with us when we needed something, and found us by the pool or at our room everyday just to check in. He made all of our reservations and ensured we had a great vacation. Thanks Daniel!

Overall - fantastic resort! A few minor details could be improved, like the pool music choice, or the amount of corporate functions (was a bit annoying), but these things are definitely minor when you look at how incredible everything else is at Unico.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple