The Sian Ka'an at Grand Tulum
  • Pool
US$357
BahiaPrincipe
  • Pool
Las Villas Akumal(Akumal)(Great Value!)
US$199
US$149
US$340
Bookit.com
  • Breakfast included
US$585
US$394
bedfinder
Itour Akumal Villa Las Tortugas(Akumal)(Great Value!)
US$39
Villa Morena(Akumal)(Great Value!)
US$80
US$72
All reviewschampagne loungewhite boxmakidos lunascalm resorttacosmart carplunge poolpool bar during the daybeach waiter servicebad wineadults only sectionin room jacuzzisian ka'anlack of hot waterevery morninggrey goose
Reviewed 1 April 2018

The grounds of the Grand Tulum Oasis and the Sian Ka'an are beautiful. I really enjoyed the landscaping, the flowers, and the overall maintenance of the gardens. However the Sian Ka'an is attached to the Grand Oasis, and is not truly adults only, as most of the restaurants and the buffet is on the Grand Oasis side. Therefore one has to put up with hoards of children when one would want a nice meal in a restaurant or at the buffet. There was only one restaurant on the Sian Ka'an side, and unless you had somehow upgraded to some kind of "exclusive" adults only....you were not allowed to have breakfast in that restaurant. The buffet is chaotic, noisy, although the staff work very very hard. Perhaps the buffet is too small for the number of people needing to use it, as the other restaurants are rather small. I was told that one does not have to make reservations at the restaurants, but in actual fact that you do have to make a reservation, albeit at 0600 when the restaurants open. Within 10 minutes all their spots for the evening seem to have filled up, and one may be forced to go to the noisy buffet with yelling kids and clattering dishes.....not the most conducive atmosphere to a nice dinner. We also had NO AIRCONDITIONING all week, even though this was reported at least twice to the desk. I guess we are not a priortiy, and so our nights were spent in sweltering heat....only relieved by the stirring of the humid air by the ceiling fan! The service in the only restaurant on the Sian Ka'an side was way too slow......waiting 40 minutes after seating to get even a glass of water in an "exclusive" restaurant, which was not busy, was too much. By that time I was just ready to go and have a coffee and a muffin and call it a night. However, the bar service at the pool is good, they are using plastic reusable glasses which are not washed in a dishwasher (how well are they washed, cross contaminiation?), but on the plus side the beach is not littered with the small plastic cups and straws that occur at other resorts. There were enough chairs at the beach area, and the towels were plentiful and it was more of an honor system...you did not have to turn in your used towel in order to get a fresh one....this is such a great idea. Believe me I did not take a beach towel home......! The rooms were cleaned quite well, and the little fridge was always stocked with some munchies, and some beer and soft drinks. The beach was a little rocky at the adult side, but it was possible to swim in the water because the waves broke over the reef quite a ways out in the water. The adult side pools were rather shallow but there were nice water features which drowned out the sound of some of the loud music which some guests brought with them. Not the calm oasis with this loud music....some guests of course, being very rude and flicking their cigarettes and ashes on the ground instead of using ashtrays. Of course this happens in all resorts....the rudeness of people who treat the staff like servants to pick up and sweep up after them. The drive from the airport was a little too long, even though I had a private transport.....which actually picked up other people at another resort also! The weather was good. All in all, not a bad experience, but not the adult resort where I thought I was going. The advertising just a little misleading.

Stayed: March 2018
1  Thank JakeJake
OasisHotelResorts, Director General at The Sian Ka'an at Grand Tulum, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2018

Dear Jake,

We appreciate your comments and we are truly sorry we were not able to meet your expectations. We try to do our best to satisfy all of our guests by providing a wide variety of different restaurants. We also renovated our facilities and restaurants recently to offer our guests a better experience. We are still making some changes and adding new stuff to improve the resort. Also, we want to let you know that we have forwarded your comments to the corresponding departments so that they correct the inconveniences you encountered and so that these can be avoided in the future.

Kind regards

Reviewed 31 March 2018

I visited the Sian Ka'an at Grand Oasis Tulum from March 20th to March 27th with my sister and our common friend. We were going on this trip to relax, rest and enjoy the beach.

First, the pros of this hotel. We had originally booked for the Grand Oasis Tulum, but I think they had more families than expected, so we were upgraded for free to the Sian Ka'an. It was nice to have two private restaurants without kids as well as a kid-free pool area. At the pools, you could really rest because there was no music and no noise. It was fantastic. This resort also has a coffee shop and without a question, it was our favorite place to visit. Noeli, the barista, was always all smiles and was able to make my sister's decaff soy milk tiramisu coffee without mistakes. Since the resort is small, everything was close-by. Our room was a 6 minutes walk from the lobby, 2 minutes from the pool and about 4 minutes from the buffet. At the adult’s pool, there are 4 iguanas living there and we had a good time observing them. We had an excellent dinner at the Careyes.

Now, the cons... I know it is not the hotel's fault, but the beach was covered in seaweed. Besides it not being pretty to look at, it had a strong smell and insects were flying all over them. The beach was also very short, not at all what you see in the pictures, so we did not do any beach at all for the whole week. They were trying to get rid of the seaweed by bagging it in plastic bags and disposing of it. Why wouldn't they do this with machinery like in other resorts? The staff was friendly enough, but the service was not remarkable. On our second to last day, the maid showed up to clean our room at 5pm, although we were not in the room for the whole day. On our last day, I had to go seek for the maid at 5:30pm to at least get clean towels to shower. We were three guests saying in the same room and there were only 2 chairs to sit on outside. Also, our deck was huge, and it would have been nice to have lounge chairs on them, but we didn’t. As for the restaurants, they were very ordinary (except for Careyes). The Mexican was downright terrible. I’d expected at least to get guacamole and chips as a starter in this restaurant, but nope. My biggest con of this resort is the lack of shade. I am very pale and will easily burn in the shade WITH sunscreen. Pool side, there were no sun umbrellas and very few palm trees. They had these bed contraptions that offered a little bit of shade, but then the sun would move, and you’d have to switch place. Although we did not go to the beach, I did check the shade situation there and it was not better.

Overall, we enjoyed our vacation because it was 30C and sunny everyday and we were able to rest. We will not be back at this particular hotel.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank Stéphanie R

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your comments, we are glad you had a nice stay and that you enjoyed our facilities and personalized service. Again, we thank you for choosing our hotel during your visit to Tulum. We appreciate the time you have taken to share your experiences with us because this helps us to know our strengths and weaknesses so we can provide a better service day by day. We hope you might change your mind so we can see you once again in the future to improve your perception of the hotel and so you can keep enjoying the concept and services we offer.

Reviewed 29 March 2018

This place (Sian Ka'an) is well worth the ride from hell to get there. The beauty, the grandeur, the EXCEPTIONAL guides are so good, I would RUN not walk to see this gorgeous Bio-diverse place. It was an amazing place. GO - DO IT !!!

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled with friends
OasisHotelResorts, Director General at The Sian Ka'an at Grand Tulum, responded to this reviewResponded 29 March 2018

Dear John,

We are flattered that your stay at the hotel has encouraged you to share such kind comments about us. We are happy to know that we met your expectations and that you had an incredible vacation.

We value a lot your commendation and we hope to welcome you back soon again.

Best regards.

Reviewed 28 March 2018 via mobile

This was my 4th time in Mexico, 1st time in Tulum. I must say The Sian Ka’an at Grand Tulum is my absolute favorite. This was a rest and relaxation trip. The entire staff from the time I checked in to the time I checked out was attentive to my every need. My suite and terrace were huge and very accommodating. My spa visits were fabulous, the food was amazing! My private butlers were the best I’ve seen in a long while. They made sure every detail of my stay was cared for, even made sure I saw stars literally. They set up a telescope for my viewing pleasure at night. I felt very special. If you’re looking for that spa trip, girls trip or baecation... this is it!
Special thank you’s to Pasquale, Carlos, Sergio, Juan and Williams. Excellent job guys! Hats off to you! ❤️

Stayed: March 2018, travelled solo
1  Thank deborahatwater

Dear Deborah,

Thank you so much for your recommendations and your preference, it gives us great pleasure to know that you had a great vacation trip, we are happy that you got to relax and also that you got the service and the treatments that you deserve. We will, of course, congratulate the members of our team that you mentioned above for their outstanding work. Thanks again for sharing your thoughts with us.

Your time and preference are highly appreciated.

Reviewed 27 March 2018

Resort looked exactly like the promotional pictures. Rooms were clean and comfortable, buildings were well maintained, beach was beautiful white sand. Staff were friendly and attentive, made our stay very comfortable.

Only issue was trying to get dinner reservations. You could only book same-day reservations, and normally they would run out by 8am. Other resorts have the option to book your dinners at check-in, and something like that with a limited number per guest would make the whole process much easier.

Otherwise we really enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: Beachfront is the way to go. 2108 was close enough to the lobby for convenience, but far enough away to avoid all the noise.
  • Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
OasisHotelResorts, Director General at The Sian Ka'an at Grand Tulum, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2018

Dear Guest,

It is a great pleasure for us to host your vacation and it makes us really happy to know that you enjoyed it; the rooms, the beach, and the service. Thank you so much for the time you have taken to write and share your experience with us. We hope to welcome you again in the future.

Jorge Martínez.