11,052 results
All reviewssnack bardolce vitainfinity poola la carte restaurantsfishdon pablofrutos del marakumal buffetother resortsbutler serviceakumal sectionmain lobbytulum ruinsshow tableadults only sectionactivities poolcancun airport
Reviewed 6 December 2015

The rooms were great. Stocked bar fridge daily. Rooms cleaned every day. Air conditioning.24 hr.room service. Felt guilty for being pampered. What made everything so special was all the staff members from the chefs with the most amazing food as far as the eyes could see. The friendly bar tenders. Loved being able to pick up a drink anywhere anytime. Must be the weather, I never had a hangover once. Also liked when wild critters came up to you, so cute. ALL the pools were amazing. The resort keeps everything to perfection at all times. The staff are very proud where they work and it shows. Shows were awesome! My favorite part was when the staff would finish the show off by dancing together and boy can they dance. p.s also check out niteclub. Shuttle carts are everywhere. Spent one night just riding on it.

Room Tip: You want ocean view pick lower floors. Those beautiful palm trees are tall, meaning all you will see are leaves.
  • Stayed: November 2015, travelled with family
4  Thank Diane Forgues B
RRPP A, Public Relations at Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal, responded to this reviewResponded 7 December 2015

Dear guest,

First of all we would like to thank you for choosing Luxury Bahia Principe for your holidays!

We are glad to hear that you enjoyed in our hotel and we appreciate that you took your time to share your experience.

We will be more than happy to welcome you again!

Kind regards,

Reviewed 5 December 2015

My visit was with my wife and two children (14yo boy 16yo girl) over the US Thanksgiving holiday for 7 nights.I made my reservation originally for the Coba on their site which was where I found the best deal. About 4 days before my trip the site had deal for the Akumal so I called and got a good deal to upgrade. Dealing with the people was very good. I like their site also because on my original reservation I could select my own rooms which we had done. After my upgrade that option was gone. I emailed my contact and was told that I could no longer do that. I don't know if that was because of the hotel change or the booking change. He noted my requests on the reservation and I followed up with a nice email the day before we left. Reserving on their site also included free shared transfers.

Transfers were easy and a small vehicle (10 passenger van) so I was glad I took it (almost didn't). We waited about 15 minutes and were paired with another family of 4 going to the Coba section. They were dropped first and then us. Al in airport to lobby took 1 hour and 25 minutes. This free service is nice and well worth taking coming from someone who almost always books private transfers.

Check in was easy. No wait. they offered us drinks which we accepted but not a big deal to me either way. We had two rooms and had requested 1 with king, 1 with 2 doubles, and adjoining if possible. I did not ask for a view, building, or a floor. We were given two adjoining 2 doubles in building 76. I asked them when they told me if they could change that to a king and 2 doubles even if not adjoining and got a flat no. It was 3 and are rooms were ready so off to our rooms 7605 and 7606.

For the record 76 is the worst building in the resort. It was the furthest building from everything and is almost in the Coba which I paid to upgrade from. The size of the rooms is great. The 4 post beds with 2 make the room feel smaller than it actually is. The lighting in the room is poor. The sofa and table area has no lighting so over there is very dark. 7605 was missing an alarm clock but everything else was there and worked well. 7606 was not missing anything but the TV was awful like watching the 4th channel on your tv in the 70's over an antenna. Straight fuzz. There was also a shower drainage issue. The door handle was also broken both in the way it worked as well as the inside handle being broken off.

We left quickly and went to see the beach and pool. Weather was sketchy so there were not a lot of people out. There was no service that day at the pool or beach. My kids went for a swim and I went to get towels with my cards. I was refused them and told they were closed. I walked away upset by the service and the guy ultimately brought down 2 towels to our chairs.

WIFI - after returning to the room to get ready for dinner I took a little time to figure out the WIFI. Their site would not accept either of my booking numbers to get on and pay for unlimited which I had researched in advance and was prepared to pay $50 for. I called the operator about my issues and was transferred to an outside company who told me my numbers were not registered and I needed to contact the front desk. I did that and they told me if tech could not help that they could not do anything and the numbers were fine. They told me that I had to buy a card in the lobby store which I did not want to do. They were not helpful and made me feel like I was bothering them. I had read a lot about Boingo on the forums so I went to the lobby where there was free WIFI and set it up. It all worked out for the best but I hated how I was treated.

Buffet - We went to the main buffet that night and actually most nights. It was good but not great most nights. A couple of nights it was great. Drink service on the ocean side was very poor. Later we found the other seating area through the tour companies hallway and drink service was much better there. It had no view but so did most of the tables on the ocean side so no worries.

After dinner I went to book some dinner reservations. I waited for about an hour before leaving. In the room there is a brochure on services your butler provides. I had yet to meet or see a butler but it said to call them at this extension. I called and was told I needed to come to the area where I just waited for an hour.

The next morning before breakfast I waited for a half hour in the same line before leaving as I was not planning on spending my vacation in line. I went to the front desk and requested room changes. They could get me in closer buildings the following day if I wanted but I would have had two take two kings, not adjoining, and not even on the same floors. I explained my TV and shower drain issues. They said that they would get them fixed.

No one came to fix the TV or if they did they didn't fix it. The shower drain was fixed but no one told us and we did not realize until the next day so we used the kids room.

I tried to use the app to book some reservations. I had researched what restaurants we wanted in advance. None were available before 10 any night during our stay. We could get Dolce Vita and Oasis at 5:30. We took one night at Dolce Vita at 5:30 just for a change. The app also still had me like a Coba guest with a limit of 3 reservations which is why my confirmation numbers didn't work. I also called the butler number again and was told again I need to come to the lobby. I called the front desk and told them my tv still did not work. A guy came and changed a cable. It fixed only the channel it was on and none of the rest.

That evening I left the family and waited an hour in the butler line. He could not help me get anything more than the app reservation wise. I told him that I wanted to speak to a manager. he said that he would have one contact me. I spoke to him about the TV issue as well and he assured me he would get it fixed. If he sent someone we didn't see them and they didn't fix it. The next day I called the operator and asked to speak to the hotel manager. 10 times I tried and every time I was put to an extension that rang endlessly with no voice mail. I decided to move on and make the best of it.

We spent most of our time at the activities pool. The first two days no wait service but the rest of the trip was good. There were two servers who worked the whole pool and the beach area. Rosario was kind and did a good job but she had too big of an area to do a great job. We tipped and she appreciated it but I think everyone got mostly the same service (maybe we got a little extra). There are no straws served at the pool which I hate with beach drinks. Not the first time I have seen it but I hate it. They also shut down the bar and service completely at 5. They should go later and at least to 6. The activities were spotty and clearly on Mexico time. The activities team has 6 people there. Most activities fizzled before they happened based on participation (this could be due to type on clientele). Carlos and Jose Louise did most of the work and were great. Gabby and Jorge did some stuff too but most was the first two. The two guys who seamed to be in charge did nothing but try to act cool. Maybe they were running entertainment elsewhere because they did nothing but dance occasionally at the activities pool. The layout of the pool worked great and we were able to get seating and shade no problem where we wanted. Activities for my son are a big part of why we go to resorts. He loves them. They fell short but the people I mentioned tried and were really nice to him so thanks to them.

The snack bar there and bathrooms were closed after the second day of our trip for construction. From a food perspective I think it was better because you could eat lunch in Dolce Vita which I thought was much better.I was not impressed with the snack bar on our first day. The only problem is after 3 when they closed there were no bathrooms anywhere near the activities pool and you had to walk pretty far for that.

Dolce Vita for dinner was just ok. My son had a good pasta dish but the res of us could have chosen the buffet or if we could order again would get his seafood pasta dish. Th Osso Buco is ground veal not on a shank and is awful. The buffet part was pretty good. Portions are very small so order a lot of courses. Ernesto was our waiter there then and many days there at lunch. He was very good.

The only really good buffet server we had was Patrica. Unfortunately we only saw here once or I would have tried to get her every time.

On our second to the last evening I got a call from Guillermo who introduced himself as the public relations manager and asked how my trip was going. I explained the issues I was having with reservations as well as the TV. I told him that I had room issues but was no longer interested in moving at this point. He told me that he would get the TV fixed for sure and he would contact me the next day about a dinner reservation our final night. The next day there was a note in the room with a dinner reservation for 7:30 at the new Brazilian steak house. That was kind and we appreciated it. He called me that evening to make sure I got it. I thanked him and told him no one came to fix the TV. He sent a manager from the group right away. He could not fix it but improved it a little. He told me that his manager was going to have to get involved to get that fixed. It would have been great if the 1st, 2nd or 3rd guy would have done that and it would have actually been fixed. Had I been able to speak with Guillermo on my second or 3rd day I am sure I would have liked this place more but better late than not at all.

Brazilian Steak House - By far the best meal we had in the resort! Our waiter Johnny was great as were all of the servers there. We loved the appetizer buffet there as well as all of the great served meats. If you can get it in I highly recommend.

Room cleaning and mini bar. We tip maids and I think pretty well. Our rooms were always cleaned and well. We never got a fresh flower or towel art which is fine but with the way we were tipping I would think something. Either way, not disappointing at all. Mini bar was filled like 5 of 7 days. I think this can be related to when you have DND on and when they come. We never received candy in mini fridge with my wife and kids were looking forward to. One day I saw the guy after he did our room and paid him $5 for 4 candy bars for my family. We had plenty of beer water, soda, and mini alcohol bottles always.

Went to Hacienda Don Isabel our last night as well as one other. It was nice but I don't like to pay for things in AI resorts. I was willing to in order to see some sports. Our first night we went to the sports bar to see a college basketball game in the Cancun classic tournament. It was on CBS Sports Network which they don't have so we left. The guy there was not interested in looking either. The last night we went to see Monday Night Football. There were no seats inside so we set up outside on the deck to try to see the game. There are no TVs outside and they have big wooden frames that make it hard to see the inside TV's. My son and I were there about 10 minutes while the laddies shopped. No one waited on us and my wife told us she found a better place to watch. We moved to the Hookah Bar and got great seats and service with a perfect view of the game. Thank god we did because the sports bar closed an hour before our game ended.

Check out was smooth and easy. Return transfer as well and shared with 1 couple for our resort.

Based on things like "Luxury" and Don Pablo Collection" in the name I expected a lot more from this resort. When I think of luxury I think of people who care when a guest is unhappy. With the exception of Guillermo no one at the front desk of butler area ever made me feel like they cared. I was never rude or angry. I also feel like a luxury resort should include free 24 hour resort wide WIFI (I knew it didn't but still feel that way). I don't like the people around the pool pushing you to buy scuba and tattoos all day. They also push you hard everywhere to buy tickets to the Mexican Fiesta. They had lobster on the buffet that night so I was so glad I didn't pay for that.

I could have liked this resort with better rooms and some staff kindness at front and butler desks. The butler service is not legit. We never met or saw one the whole trip except the area in the lobby. This is a concierge, not a butler. Your brochure in your room says they will do all of these things like unpack, schedule your dinners, Iron an outfit for everyone for a return trip, and others. Maybe you could wait in line in the lobby and get them to do that but why bother. In an hour you could do it all yourself. Without a lot of effort and cost this place could be a ton better. Kindness goes a long way.

Would I return? Not unless I got a steal on the rate and even then I would have to think about it. Would I recommend? No. Too many other great resorts in similar price range.

I am sorry for the long review but if I read this review from an experienced traveler like myself it would have discouraged me from booking here so I wanted to provide as much detail as I could. Feel free to read some of my other reviews and you will see that we are not overly picky people.

Room Tip: Buffet served lobster and great shrimp on Thursday and Saturday. Go to the buffet those nights and book al a cartes if you can on others.
  • Stayed: November 2015, travelled with family
15  Thank preziam

Dear guest,

Thanks for letting us know about your perception and we apologize for any inconvenience you may have during your stay, we are committed to full satisfaction of our customers, we have taken into account the comments and necessary actions will be taken to rectify the areas need it. Your opinion is for us the means of improvement which helps us to provide better service.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again in the future.

Our Best regards

Reviewed 5 December 2015 via mobile

This is our second time with Bahia Principe and love the resort! The rooms are very clean.
The staff are very friendly and accommodating.
The restaurants come with s great variety that should allow something for everyone.
The only issue was one washroom in the main lobby near a side pool. One one visit mid day, the floor was very wet (I'm guessing people coming in and out of the pool. As the floors are marble, water and marble can become very slippery. Needless to say, I went flying and ended up with a severely bruised hip, knee and broke prescription sun glasses! Needless to say, the last two days were painful! Be safe

Stayed: December 2015, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jaimie M
RRPP A, Public Relations at Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2015

Dear guest,

On behalf of Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal Don Pablo Collection team we would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your feedback.

We are glad to know that you have enjoyed our facilities and the service that was provided during your stay. Our staff and management is always following up every detail you let us know to improve.

Once again thank you for your time and comments, hoping you get better soon

Receive our warmest regards,

Reviewed 4 December 2015

This will of been our 6th time at the Bahia Principe property in Mexico. The new infinity pool is beautiful, The staff and food at the buffet at Akumal, is number ONE.
Maria and Paula from the Privilege Lounge at the Coba, go above and beyond what I am sure is in there job description. Both of these ladies can resolve issues, in an efficient and timely manner. I highly recommend them. The wonderful lady that cleaned our unit 4901 was exceptional. But....as a privilege member I feel I get more for my dollar staying at the Bahia Principe Coba.

• Stayed: November 2015, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Guest:

Thank you for choosing Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal Don Pablo Collection and for taking the time to share your recent stay with us.

It is great to know that you really had a good time with us.

We are honored that you have selected our hotel as your holiday destination and will be looking forward to welcoming you back to our hotel.

Kind Regards from Mexico,

Reviewed 4 December 2015 via mobile

Were these terrible reviews on here come from god only knows! Simply the most amazing place i have been, i have travelled the world and stayed in some amazing hotels but this has got to be my fave!.. the gardens are constantly getting looked after by the gardeners, the maids clean the room every day and make the bed plus change towels if u leave them on the floor, the mini bar is stocked daily. The staff are simply the best, always saying hello, not once did i see any member of staff with out a smile on there face. The full hotel is spick and span. If u stay at the akumal u get to eat drink and use the facilities of the four other hotels on the grounds, the premier, sian khan, coba and tulum which are all of similar standards however we preferred the sian khan evening buffet as the tended to serve more seafood which i love. Transport is free to and from the other complexes in little buggy type trains. Food is simple amazing, something for every one. Carvery meat available every night from pork.. beef.. chiken.. turkey.. beef wellington ect.. with gravy and veg.. pizza pasta.. cooking stations so food is cooked just how u like it..traditional mexican food simply delish.. tacos and faheeters ect.. the deserts are to die for.. marshmallows with hot white choc from the choc fountain my fave! .. ala cartes are also amazing, the japeneese mikado with show cooking and also the brazillian are our fave!. Beach beautiful.. branded drinks .. grey goose vodca just ask for it otherwise ur given smirnoff or absolute. Maria is our fave waitress so polite and lovley, the entertainment was also really good including acrobatics.. magicians and dancers. Louis and jesus from the animation team need a pay rise as dose maria, yessica (buffet on a morning) leonardo (driver). Reception staff really helpful and also so polite and friendly, this was my second visit with my bae after spending two weeks last year at the same time for my sisters wedding. This place is a little peice of paradise.. sun lounger right next to the bar yet the waitresses still come and ask your order! If you didnt want to move all day you wouldnt have to! Many people with gold wrist bands which shows they have been more than 5 times! Its nice to visit the other hotels as you feel you are going out of the complex even though you are not! Very very safe left belongings on beach on 3 occasions including designer glasses and were still there 5 hours later!. Rooms are spaceous with huge beds and whirlpool baths, safe and iron and ironboard and also hair dryer. You also have a butler. Room service free and is needed when you roll in at 4pm from coco bongo and a pizza is needed! .. is nice to tip the waitresses for good service and also bar men and room service guys.

Stayed: November 2015, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Lauren S
RRPP A, Public Relations at Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal, responded to this reviewResponded 4 December 2015

Dear guest,

Thank you so much for your visit, it was a great pleasure to host you and create wonderful memories in your life due to our outstanding services.

We appreciate profoundly the description you make, it is our duty to offer several options for the different likes of our guests and we are proud to receive your recognition for our efforts.

Allow us to tell you that we will be so happy to host you once again in our hotel,

Our best regards!