All reviews fly fishing spoke good english shrimp tacos staff person pale ale well worth the effort bone fish windy days out of the way hot water cancun airport fishing guide small town spent a week long drive cabana david
Reviewed 3 April 2018

Not sure what to expect when we flew into Cancun and drove 5 hours south to a little town called Xcalak. Our journey was to include 6 day of fly fishing for Permit, Bonefish, Tarpon "Grand Slam" they call it. What we didn't expect was the 5 star service we received why staying at Costa de Cocos, you walk of the boat from a long day of fishing and before you can put your rods down you are greeted with a fresh cocktail! After a quick hot shower you head to their own private bar and restaurant and are welcomed with hot appetizers and the bartender eagerly waiting your next drink order followed by an incredible dinner menu, oh and I should mention the owner makes his own handcrafted whiskey and moonshine and brews his owns beers! Fishing was great, Permit, huge bonefish , baby tarpon, jacks and snook all were landed. We'll be back for sure !

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 March 2018

We borrowed the kayaks and tied up to floats in front and experienced great snorkeling. Wonderful staff and amazing food. Their pizza is a must try. This was our third stop in our 5 week trip and we enjoyed it the most. We did not fly fish but heard excellent reports from guests that went. Well worth the drive and I'd love to go back. The only thing we missed was not being able to find bike rentals.

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 March 2018

We liked the place very much and they have some interesting home brewed beers. Nice shrimp tacos, chicken fingers, guacamole and pizza's. Recommended.
Cann't say anything about the hotel huts as we only went to the place for dinner.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank wil298
Reviewed 22 February 2018

My wife and I recently got back from a 6 day stay at Costa de Cocos. Our primary focus was fly fishing and spent 4 guided days of fishing with Rueben. He was a excellent guide, patient and very knowledgeable. Unlike many guides in Mexico and Belize, Rueben loves to fly fish and he ties his own flies. He got my wife into her first sight fished bone fish and baby tarpon, fishing for both of us was good, and real fun, that's what it's all about. Not a lot of people made it nice, there are so many flats to explore we rarely saw another boat.

The entire staff at the resort was excellant, very friendly, helpful and spoke good english. The food was real good, try the lobster pizza. The rooms are fine, rustic but have everthing you need, a bed and a hot shower. There is no AC but ours was close to the ocean so we got a nice "breeze."

I would have given this place a excellant review but it needs updated. Other than some cosmetic alterations, and maybe a new kayak, the staff, guides and fishing was excellant. I think I can finally get my permit there.

Room Tip: Get a room by the ocean
  • Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 February 2018

It's a long drive but in my opinion well worth the effort. Our room was very nice everything that you needed. The restaurant was great the carrot soup is the best ever, and the pizza great oh and the fresh fish of the day wow. Breakfast was more then needed. Rubin was a wonderful waiter but his experience as a fishing guide was above the line he was great and thought my my wife how to fly fish and catch bonefish all I can say is we had a great trip and look forward to doing it again

Stayed: February 2018