8,665 results
All reviews tapas restaurant italian guests la selva royal grill lunch buffet margarita bar angel fish vera club jungle setting playa del carmen honeymoon package pool bar white sand usa transfers pillow menu junior suite entertainment staff
Reviewed 10 August 2018

We just returned from our FIFTH visit to the Catalonia Royal Tulum. AND, I have already booked visit number 6 for February!! I love this place! I love the people, the beach, the water, the reef, the restaurants and food, the rooms.....ALL of it! In Mexico..this is my "home away from home". It's beautiful, relaxing, NOT stacked up against other resorts and just the perfect place to escape and relax for a while. Please read my previous reviews on this wonderful resort. ALL of the great things I have written about Catalonia Royal Tulum still apply!!! Thanks to the wonderful staff for another amazing stay!!!

• Trip type: Travelled with family
4  Thank DaveEichen
Catalonia_Caribbean, Director General at Catalonia Royal Tulum Beach & Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2018

Dear Dave,

It is truly our fortune and privilege to host you again for the fifth time; this allows us to really demonstrate the excellent service that we strive for each visit. Maybe you don't know but your recommendation and your words in this opinions mean everything to us, we can perceive your support through the years and we really appreciate that! And as you said you already booked your sixth reservation, we'll see you here the next year! Take care, Dave!

Reviewed 8 August 2018

We stayed beginning of July, upgraded to privalige package on arrival because seemed
Quite a good price for 10 days stay, nice area to chill and eat near the beach, food
Was really good & service was excellent in the privilege restaurant.
Our room was nice, but can’t compare to the room we would have got as we only booked a standard room when booking. Balconies are really private as to others can’t
See you from other rooms. Nice view in jungle area, wild life good to see outside your
Room.
I liked that you could eat dinner or lunch in the different restaurants, we enjoyed trying
The different restaurants, but the only problem is sometimes you do have to put your
Name on list & wait for a table. Service is good in most of them but found the steak restaurant although food was very good we had poor service both times we eat in there
Meaning our waiter seemed always in a rush and not at all friendly.
Lastly the beach, I must admit after viewing pictures of beach before when booking
I was disappointed with the big issue at the moment Seaweed, it did really smell at times, although we were able to go in sea , there was only one day the water looked
Clear, and of course the staff did their best in the current situation.
We really enjoyed our experience here and enjoyed the resort, the staff do a great job.
I must also add its a relaxing as you want or fun & games as well, nice reps about to
See if you want to join in on fun activities.
Would definitely like to return one day

Room tip: High up the better as can be a bit darker lower floor
Date of stay: July 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
3  Thank Denise S

Dear Denise,

Thank you very much for taking the time to describe every aspect of your stay, your opinion helps us a lot because we can detect all areas of opportunity in which we must work to eliminate them and improve the experience of our guests. I assure you that the departments involved are aware of your comments and together with their teams are looking for improvements and immediate actions. Thank you very much for having stayed with us and we hope to have the opportunity to host you again.

Reviewed 7 August 2018 via mobile

I’m not much for writing reviews but thought it was important to do in order to address some other negative reviews. In the end my friend and I loved our vacation and think this a great choice for anyone that’s not overly pretentious.
1) The staff is VERY friendly - everyone that spoke to us was warm and friendly, we felt remembered and important.
2) The grounds are beautiful and we constantly saw staff working hard to keep it that way. Blowing leaves out of the walk way, trimming back palms, straightening and resetting the chairs every morning and picking up behind people who obviously don’t understand the concept of trash can. Staff were everywhere and were clearly working hard. Keep in mind, the property wasn’t built this year but it sure looked like an oasis to us!
3) Seaweed as some noted is definitely an issue this time of year but rest assured, if you’re patient (seaweed travels) or if you walk a hundred feet down the beach you’ll find a perfect spot for swimming. The beach is beautiful regardless and we enjoyed lounging around on the beach bean bags!
4) We had no issues getting waited on. In fact, we were waited on so frequently one night that we both opted for water the next day. (If you catch my drift) Worth it!!
5) The food is pretty good! We always found something to enjoy. Again, keep in mind they’re feeding hundreds of people several times a day. The buffets were really good (we especially liked the breakfast buffet) and we enjoyed our meals at the steakhouse and tapas restaurant as well.
6) One review I read mentioned a lot of Italian people were there.... oddly enough we totally noticed this too. Even the tv in the lobby had English, Spanish, and Italian subtitles. We didn’t see this as an issue since we’re decent human beings and enjoy meeting people from all places. You shouldn’t either. Nobody we encountered was rude - we were all looking to relax!

This was my first all-inclusive so don’t have another resort to compare it too but I will say - mission accomplished! As my final break before I start a highly intense/stressful new job, this gave me the peace and relaxation I was looking for! We will be back!

Trip type: Travelled with friends
3  Thank 997melanieh
Catalonia_Caribbean, Director General at Catalonia Royal Tulum Beach & Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2018

Dear Melanie,

Thank you very much, your words are very kind and of total understanding which is very appreciated. I will share your words with our staff that keeps this place impeccable, as you mentioned, it is a team that works hard to provide this experience. Melanie, we are very happy to know that we have been your perfect escape place, we will be very happy to see you come back one more time.

Reviewed 7 August 2018

I love traveling and have stayed in many places good and bad. I'm not picky about where I stay but there are just some things that make or break a vacation. I'll start with all the great things about CRT and then in my opinion the not so good. Starting out, we did the online early check in, not sure if that made things smoother but check in was very easy. I requested a ground floor room and extra pillows from the pillow menu and all were there upon arrival. I can not say enough about how wonderful and friendly the staff are at CRT. The room was very nice, I personally didn't care for the balcony that's surrounded by jungle. That was a learning lesson for me and I don't think I'll book another room without some sort of view. The room was very musty when we first arrived, but that's to be expected with jungle conditions. By the 2nd day, either we got used to it or it just went away. The beds are so very comfortable!! Better than my bed at home! We kept our AC set on 55 and it was nice and cold. The showers are great..loved the rain shower head and hot water forever!! The white sandy beach would have been lovely, if it wasn't for the terrible sargassum..this is no fault of the resort of course. It didn't stop me from laying there, just bummed we couldn't go on the beach. I'm sure it's wonderful if not for that sargassum. Never had issues getting chairs at the beach. The pool though, there was never an empty chair. I believe that poeple go very early and reserve their seats with towels, even though you are asked not to do it, people still did. The layout of the resort is beautiful. It was a lot of walking so be prepared for that. Now for IMO the bad. The food. I've traveled to many resorts and I have never had such bad food. I am not a picky eater and I had a terrible time finding good tasting food. I understand we are not in our home towns and things are prepared different, I expect that. The only place that was good was the steak house. I can't eat steak dinner every night. If you can than you're in luck. Maybe if they change things every other night, but it was the same menu every night. The other thing is we felt this resort caters to certain nationalities. I don't want to offend anyone so I won't get into specifics, but I have never encountered such Rude people in all my life. Even in a different language, you can say excuse me. This ruined my trip, again no fault of the resort, it was just a huge turn off for such rude people. Some tips...bring lots of $1 for tips, we had all large bills and when we got pesos at the resort, we paid a fee to do so. I would suggest if you are going to use pesos, have them exchanged at your home town for a better rate. Also, I never needed bug spray either. I unfortunately will not return to this resort because of the issues we had.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
6  Thank megansm1975
Catalonia_Caribbean, Director General at Catalonia Royal Tulum Beach & Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2018

Dear Megan,

Thank you for taking the time to share your opinion and although we are happy to know that you enjoyed your stay, we are very sorry that for reasons that are largely out of our control, you may not want to return to our hotel. Your comments about the food will be transmitted to our Chef, who will definitely look for new alternatives to satisfy our guests. Anyway, thank you very much for giving us the opportunity to serve you and we really hope that you will give us the honor to host you again.

Reviewed 7 August 2018

The Food:
The food quality was very good and lived up to the promising standards of the resort, however, many of the items lacked in variety which got repetitive after a few days of our stay. In the morning, La Selva buffet is open for breakfast where you can get an omelette, potato hash brown, bacon, fruits, desserts, sandwiches, and juices. Coffee and drinks are always offered by the waiters. Our personal favourite food place option is the Bloved restaurant for Privileged travellers located on the shore of the beach. The food there is really awesome with many delicious options, perfect plate presentation, a very aesthetic atmosphere, and incredible service. Shout out to the waiter Esteban for amazing service. I recommend trying the Gula-pancake, the shrimp wrapped in potato dish, and the ravioli. The Bloved/organic restaurant is the best out of all offered restaurants and I would eat there everyday. The lunch buffet near the pool area serves good food as well (photo attached for reference and description of food variety). For dinner, there were many restaurant options.
The steakhouse was not good. The appetizers were all right, the main course I ordered the T-bone steak which lacked salt and seasoning.
Tao Cat Japanese restaurant wasn’t too bad. The sushi had a white cream cheese looking substance as fillers in all their sushi, which was bad tasting, and I would question the safety of eating raw fish. For dessert, the green matcha lava cake was memorable.
The Organic restaurant/ Bloved, was the most amazing one, as I already mentioned the best place to eat, 100% would recommend.
The Mexican restaurant was the biggest disappointment of them all. The service was awful, the lady who served us had an attitude and asked us if we’re sure we want to have two main course dishes. That isn’t appropriate to ask someone, we can have as many main course dishes as we want it is an all-inclusive resort that we already paid for everything. Then the food. For the appetizer, I asked for Lime soup. The soup broth tasted and smelled like worn wet socks. Disgusting. My partner ordered chicken for the main course. It had a foul odour and tasted terrible like maybe it was the sauce or the meat itself I’m not sure but after one bite we declined to continue eating it. The worst of them all was the finger food burrito which contained the inedible shrimp tails. Once bit into the tails were noticed and spit out. That was disgusting we stood up and left to go eat at the buffet instead. Ironic that the worst restaurant in Mexico is the Mexican restaurant. I am usually in favour of Mexican cuisine and enjoy it, however, this restaurant deserves not even 1 star for its service and food. The restaurant also has a 1-hour waitlist which is super not worth it don’t even waste your time.

The Ocean:
We visited from the end of July to the beginning of August, and the seaweed algae were forming islands on the beach shore (photo for reference). The Sargazo (seaweed) was knee deep and above, the water was brown and the smell of decaying algae was terrible on the territory of the resort. The resort staff worked hard to remove it every day, and at some point travellers, themselves began cleaning the algae to help make a difference. Despite the territory with the seaweed being fairly large, if you walk about a kilometre to the left you would get cleaner water where the seaweed does not float in the water as much. That is where we spent half of our vacation swimming because the rest of the area was absolutely unbearably flooded with sargazo. This problem has unfortunately affected the whole Riviera Maya area and the resort tried their best to maintain a clear beach. This is nature after all so there is so much they can do to clean it. The beach overall was very clean with very nice chairs and good service. There are hammocks which are just incredible.

Service:
The service at this Catalonia location was very good no doubt. Comparing to Cuba or the other Catalonia location, the service here is definitely better no explicit complaints. However, there was one incident revolving around a scam. On the beach, there is a place where they offer scuba diving lessons, activities and tours. My partner indulged in the Scuba diving course and we also booked a 4-hour fishing trip. This is what was promised. The price for 145 USD included catching the fish plus a spot on the boat, and the price for 60 USD was to just book a place on the boat. Juan was the person responsible for this trip and told us that there is going to be involved in fishing, available snorkelling, tanning and relaxing opportunities, drink service, all on a 13-foot yacht. This is what really happens. We got picked up in the early morning and arrived to this crappy boat. There was a crew of 3 Mexicans and they tried to fit 8 more people onto this small boat. In the beginning, no safety measures were addressed, no life jackets were given out nor did they tell us where they are stored or if they had any at all. The man only told us that if we catch Mahi Mahi, Tuna, or some other fish we will have to let it go. For the rest of the time we spent on that stupid boat, my partner was not offered to hold to the rod and when there was a fish on the hook, the Mexican men themselves did everything didn’t even hand it over to us tourists. It felt like we were only taken on the boat to sit there and not do anything while watching them fish. The boat did not stop for the duration of the 4 hours so there was no snorkelling as promised. The drinks were not served just told that they are in the icebox. There was no tanning either as me and my partner sat on the upstairs side of the boat where we kept hitting our heads uncomfortably. After the scamming trip, we went back to Juan and complained about this situation. The least we hoped for is for them to return the 85 dollars we overpaid for the promised fishing. Do not purchase any excursions or trips from that place because it is most likely a scam or some unsafe unauthorized event. Instead of trying to save an extra buck and get scammed, just get your excursions from your travel company that are available in the lobby. Overall, the beach, restaurant and lobby service were really good and no other problems were encountered.

Entertainment:
In comparison to other resorts, this place lacked in entertainment. During the day there was volleyball, some pool lessons, agua gym, very basic yoga, and dance lessons. It wasn’t too bad but I personally wish they would be more enthusiastic and with more exciting activities. The animators who are supposed to talk and keep travellers entertained only or mostly spoke Italian and entertained only Italian speaking travellers. While playing volleyball or some tennis game I felt left out because only Italian was spoken around me and the animators did not make an effort to try to include other nationalities. During the night that is when it got really boring. There was an overpriced show called The Rauxa and sometimes during the night there was a pool show that was all right. There is a disco room but we did not visit it. Other than that there was no entertainment during the evening/night hours.

Other comments:
The pool area was very nicely made and there was always a drink service available.
The spa was extraordinary with the calm atmosphere and the red infrared light. Very worth it.
The weather was amazing every day.
The coffee at the buffet was good but the tea was very cheap and did not taste that good
The drinking water everywhere gave us a difficult time to get used to because of the unpleasant taste.
The natural setting of the resort and the cute coati animals were super cute.
The room was cleaned well every day and the mini fridge was always refilled.
The rooms were amazing, big and clean with a walk-in shower as well as a king size bed and all the necessary amenities.
In the rooms, I personally really enjoyed the number of lamps. The cute lamps made the room feel cozy and homey as well as the complimentary robe and slippers were super cool.
The 24-hour food room services were super worth it. They have really good food and prepared meals available at any time of the day.

Room tip: Upgrade to Privilege
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank Natasha S

Dear Natasha,

It seems to me that I have no words to thank your well-written opinion. I love when a guest is serious about describing their experience because it gives us a huge opportunity to know areas of opportunity that before our eyes are not so obvious, thank you very much indeed. And following the format, I will share our comments. The food: It's good that you enjoyed the culinary experience of BLoved, it has become the favorite of many and its reputation does justice to its dishes. About the other restaurants, I will pass your comments to our Chef, I am sure he will take your words as a challenge and together with his team, he will look for actions to improve the experience. I also take the opportunity to offer an apology for how our partner asked the question, I am sure she did not know how to express that the dishes are coarse, I can give you my word that the intention was not to offend. The Ocean: thank you very much for understanding that this is a natural phenomenon over which we have no control and for your kind words of appreciation to our formidable team that helps the collection of sargassum. Service: Thank you for letting us know that we were up to the task, about the incident with the diving company, we will share your experience with them, I am sure they will take your words to improve their offers and treat the client. Entertainment: thanks for your comments, we will take your words to implement more attractive activities and taking advantage of this opportunity, I would like to clarify that the animation you are referring to is a personalized assistance that Veraclub offers to their guests. Dear Natasha, again, thank you very much for your words and time, we hope you can come back again and repeat the Catalonia experience.