All reviews plunge pool the main house morning yoga jungle suite owner kevin mayan spa ceviche bath products private terrace lush jungle pristine beach gorgeous property piece of paradise golf cart huge bathroom churros beach vacation
Reviewed 2 August 2018

We spent a long weekend in July at this hotel and it's certainly one of the nicest hotels I have ever stayed in. The hotel is hidden away in a lush green oasis and it has a wonderful white sandy beach. The service of the hotel is impeccable - from the moment we checked in everyone knew our name and was very helpful. Besides the tasteful design of the rooms (including a playlist designed by a DJ - that matches the relaxing vibe) it's the attention to detail that makes this place unforgettable, for example, in the morning there is a bread basket and coffee brought to the room, there are complementary yoga classes, or the beach cabanas have a service button). Furthermore we liked that the hotel offers a lot of privacy as one hardly sees the other guests and various pools and the spacious beach offer a lot of room to relax. Dinner options at the hotel are excellent (Mexican and Peruvian) and in line with the high quality of the hotel. We also tried out some restaurants in nearby Tulum which were good too. As for activities we can highly recommend the Cenote scuba diving. All in all, Hotel Esencia is a special place and we can't wait to go back there.

1  Thank Guido G
Kevin W, Owner at Hotel Esencia, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2018

Dear Guido G,

My sincere thanks for your recent stay with us and for taking the time to post this very kind 5 star review.

It's true that we are located on perhaps the most beautiful stretch of beach along the "Riviera Maya" in a quiet bay with powder soft white sand. In fact I was out walking on that beach this morning thinking to myself that it was the softest sand I'd ever walked on! Of course I cannot take credit for the beach but when I bought Hotel Esencia almost five years ago I was determined to start with the best beach with the intention of filling in the very best of comfort, cuisine, and service around it. We've also worked hard on the room and restaurant decor and I'm quite proud of my creative team. Thanks for noticing all of the little details.

We are located right between Tulum and Playa del Carmen -- less than 30 minutes from either -- so as you noted there are plenty of activities not far from us even though we like being "away from it all".

I'm delighted to hear that you're planning to come back one day!

Reviewed 31 July 2018

Hotel Esencia has been on my must-try list for years & we finally went for a quick 3 day getaway...our first but hopefully not our last time staying at this absolute dream of a hotel. We kept on remarking how we felt like we were staying at a (very fabulous) friend's house. The grounds, the rooms & the common spaces are so gorgeous, it's all perfectly chic-casual in a way that so few places seem able to achieve. We were traveling as a couple for a relaxing long weekend, and despite there being a number of children at the hotel we were never bothered in the slightest. There are so many quiet spots to sit & read, relax or sip a cocktail that I barely registered the other guests!

And the staff is completely wonderful. They know your names, room & your drink order within moments of arriving & are happy to help out with anything you need...even before you realize you need it!

We ate at Mistura twice & loved it and enjoyed the beach bbq under a gorgeous full moon...all pretty perfect! I also loved the morning yoga with Esmerelda. We will certainly be back...a rare & special place!

Room tip: Jungle rooms can be a short walk from the main house & beach.
1  Thank WellieNY

Dear WellieNY,

You are most kind with your five star review! On behalf of all of us here, thank you so much for sharing your comments here.

It's so nice to hear that we've been on your "must-try" list for years and that we met or exceeded your expectations. I loved your comments about the hotel design as we've given a lot of thought to each detail here. And as the main house of the hotel was at one time the private villa of an Italian duchess with great taste we are determined to continue in that tradition. Thanks so much for noting that even when the hotel is full there are many places to find a quiet spot to read as the actual property is nearly 50 acres on 250 meters of nearly private beach.

Thanks too for your comments about our Peruvian-Japanese restaurant Mistura, our weekly beach barbecue under the moon, and our service team. We are a small family owned and operated hotel and we are truly grateful for the hard work of each member of our team.

I hope we will have the pleasure of a return visit one day!

Reviewed 27 July 2018

We have just spent 5 days in this idyllic spot. It was our treat at the end of a fabulous site setting trip in Peru. What can I say?.... The staff were amazing, all so welcoming and got to know what we liked so very quickly. Particular mentions to Manuel, Victor and Alan.

Beautiful rooms, we were lucky enough to stay in a villa with a pool. So comfortable.

The food - too good - I'm on a diet! Delicious breakfast choices, amazing cocktails (not for breakfast - well unless you want to!), 2 fabulous restaurants to choose from, we really loved the Japanese/Peruvian restaurant the most and if you haven't eaten enough, complimentary afternoon tea!

We started the day with yoga, again a complimentary class, an hour of indulgence with the most lovely teacher.

The beach, sea and pools, all divine.

Thank you Esencia for a glorious end to what was already an amazing holiday.

1  Thank Francesca O
Kevin W, Owner at Hotel Esencia, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2018

Dear Francesca O,

Such a beautiful review! Thanks so much for your extraordinarily kind words.

I'm delighted to know that you enjoyed your suite and our restaurants, and I thank you for mentioning the members of our service team who went out of their way to make your visit enjoyable. Our yoga teacher, Esmerelda, always receives some of the best feedback as she is such a sweetheart who really cares so much about each and every one of our guests.

Thank you for wrapping up your holiday with a visit to Hotel Esencia and for taking the time to share your warm comments here.

Reviewed 23 July 2018 via mobile

My wife and I had the most spectacular New Years vacation at the stunning Hotel Esencia. The staff was warm, gracious, and took tremendous pride in every detail of making our stay perfect. We stayed in a spacious Jungle Suite, with beautiful design, and a terrace nested amongst the trees. The food and drinks were exceptional and the staff was accommodating to any request. The spa was magical

I highly recommend this refined, peaceful, and elegant beach escape.

Date of stay: January 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ryanandrewcook
Kevin W, Owner at Hotel Esencia, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2018

Dear Ryanandrewcook,

My sincere thanks for sharing your lovely feedback. I'm delighted to hear that you and your wife enjoyed your Jungle Suite as well as our exceptional beach, our restaurants, and our authentic Mayan spa. I will be sure to alert our Executive chef and our spa manager to your thoughtful review.

You are not the first guest to describe our spa as "magical" or "healing" and I'm delighted to hear that, as I'm extremely proud of the award-winning team behind our unique spa experiences. All of our spa therapists are certified at the very highest level and, as I'm sure you noticed, we develop many of our own spa therapies according to ancient Mayan traditions using herbs and flowers grown on our own property.

I especially happy to hear that Hotel Esencia is your new "favorite beach escape" and I hope that we will have the pleasure of seeing you both again one day very soon.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 23 July 2018

As New Yorkers and world travelers, it is hard to impress and wow us, a jaded bunch.
But this property really welcomes and inspires on how beautifully its maintained, as well as the human warmth it showers on its guests.
we were picked up by the hotel transportation, check in was quick, and were escorted on the golf cart through a short trip through the 'jungle' [ actually a very well manicured pathway] to the resort entrance, and to our suite. We had decided to splurge a bit and go for the master suite and was so incredibly worth that extra $. room 702, sits on top of the library, has an amazing outdoor private area, a beautifully appointed room. the decor was extremely pleasing to the eyes, with minimal furniture and sans wall 'stuff' just a cool white, accented by shots of color, leaves, flowers and a few books.
the bathroom and adjoining dressing area of ample size for two, a walk in closet. throughout our 7 nights there, the room looked exactly as well maintained as the first impression. a chilled bottle of champagne and fresh fruit awaited.
its a very quiet and peaceful property, the occasional sounds of chirping birds, someone jumping into the pool, and the sounds of the ocean is all one hears.
the staff, at every level, is a delight, if you ask for anything, your response usually is how many of those do you need? rather than, let me ask management, or we cant do that.
the beach is a quick few steps away from the main building, and where we spent most of our days .a row of thatched palapas, are made up rather perfectly, with towels, two side tables. chilled ice bucket with water appears magically, within minutes by a smiling face of attentive beach staff. they offer you fresh skewers of exotic fruits, frozen ice fruit popsicles, complimentary . and of course anything you want to order.
a long beach, very beautiful. a bit rocky , where the hotel entrance is [ some rocks are pretty sharp] but a few meters off to the right, its more heavenly, beach is quite deserted in front of hotel, but a bit more people to the right, where its another property, and beach quality is very nice there as well . yes, there is the pesky seaweed that shows up, but hotel staff is constantly cleaning it up. this seaweed issue is all over the Mayan Riviera, so not exclusive to this beach in any way.
restaurants serve some organic things and choices for vegetarians, food tastes of really fresh ingredients. simple, not fussy cuisine, there is something one would be able to pick. fish taco was our favorite. staff is extremely personable [ thank you, Victor, Jonas, alan Luis and everyone there ] remembers what you drink, and all know your names.
dinner is at the same two restaurants, one by the pool and the other next door with an 'interesting' menu. we actually had the staff set up a table on our outdoor patio, underneath the stars, and the food was set up at our private table.
the whole experience at Esencia is about service and charm. i would highly recommend this property.
Yes, it's expensive, quite expensive .. but I don't think you come here, not knowing so. it was a lot of pennies ... but we enjoyed every penny of it.
the only thing i would recommend, one does get bored of the eating at the same establishment for 7 nights, is to go out a few of those nights to either Playa del Carmen or Tulum. our mission was to relax and do nothing else, as we had been working really hard the past year, with no vacation travel, only business travel. so it worked out to exactly what we needed.
lastly, the spa, we did two days at the spa with 80 min massages both times. it's lovely, but can be over $ 1000, for the 2 times we went, so its not inexpensive and have had better therapists elsewhere.
we also want to go back, as well loved it, so did check out the other rooms offered. the beach suites are very beautiful, right on the beach, and very nice rooms. jungle rooms are more hidden away, very private and have very peaceful ambiance.
thank you all at Esencia for a perfect vacation! we hope to be back again for this piece of paradise.

1  Thank amazone1
Kevin W, Owner at Hotel Esencia, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2018

Dear amazone1,

Such a lovely detailed review! Thanks so much for your thorough feedback and for taking the time to post your comments here.

I'm so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your room 702 which was actually the master bedroom of the Italian duchess who once owned what is now Hotel Esencia as her private beachside hideaway home.

We are fortunate to be situated along on a long private stretch of beach with no other neighbors in sight for as far as you can see. What you found deep into the sea on the right side of our beach was not rocks but coral as we are located on the second largest coral reef in the world. It wasn't until two months after buying Hotel Esencia that I personally ventured out snorkeling one day and was absolutely astounded by what I saw under the blue water just steps off our beach -- the most beautiful exotic fish, fauna, and colorful coral. Between May and October our beach is also the nesting ground for giant sea turtles and every year in September and October we witness the birth of thousands of baby sea turtles along our shore.

We are certainly not the least expensive beach destination in the region but we take a lot of pride in our outstanding natural beach, the service we provide, and the variety of fresh and healthy dining options with everything made in house, nothing packaged, bottled, canned, or frozen (except our house made ice cream of course!). We do offer an all-inclusive meal plan option which I think is a great value at $150/day per person which includes breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, soft drinks, and unlimited room service. Our spa prices are consistent with other luxury resorts in the region and our 50-minute massage is a fairly standard $150. I'm pleased to know that you and your companion each indulged more than once in our 80-minute treatments which are truly heavenly.

I sincerely appreciate all of our lovely comments about our rooms, decor, and the glorious nature that surrounds us. I'm sorry I was away during your visit but hope to have the pleasure of meeting you both personally upon your return one day.