Elkhorn Inn & Theatre
Quality Inn(Princeton)
US$76
QualityInn
TripAdvisor
All reviewsfun to watchgreat chefrail fanplace to staychef danrailroadhostswatchersbathfurniturehighwayaccommodations
Reviewed 4 July 2015

I had a fine time at the Elkhorn Inn . Main purpose of my trip was to fly fish but alas the river was quite high and fast and too difficult to wade for me ( so check stream conditions before you go there to fish ) …nevertheless …I very much enjoyed my visit . Dan and Elise are two engaging , interesting , affable , well traveled , knowledgeable , accomplished people who can regal you with stories and recounts of their experiences , far and wide . The Inn is furnished with an assortment of books , magazines , antiques , quilts , artwork , paintings in an eclectic style that appeals to me . The dinners are prepared with great care and rivals what you will get in a big city 5 star restaurant . If you are going to the area …. clearly this is where you should stay . When I left , I felt as though I had spent time with two close friends who I had known and admired over the years . I hope and intend to go back and take my wife to also visit with Dan and Elise .

• Stayed: June 2015, travelled solo
Reviewed 22 May 2015 via mobile

I stayed at the Elkhorn Inn in May of last year for a special party weekend. Dan and Elisse Clark were fantastic hosts! They were especially helpful in assisting me with my concerns about my broken leg. Chef Dan went out of his way to accommodate me, and created a special, delicious, and memorable dinner party that will not be forgotten! I had a Private Bath Guest Room on the second floor, and it was lovely- decorated with art and a pretty vintage quilt, and a cool, old-fashioned claw-foot bathtub, too! This is not the first time I've stayed at the inn; I also stayed there in 2004 after they first opened, so this was really like "coming home", and it was so nice to be able to come back. I'm looking forward to returning again this fall. Because the inn is pet-friendly, on my first stay I was able to bring my cat, too, which was great. I highly recommend this charming Inn as a destination which has adventure, fantastic food, and, of course, the beautiful mountains!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 April 2015

Nestled in the hills of Kimball, WV, the Elkhorn Inn is like taking a trip through time. A well preserved 1920's period building with a NYC art gallery hidden inside.

The cuisine rivals any 5 star restaurant courtesy of its resident Chef , Dan Clark. he is an absolute master and prepares dishes from all over the world. His clay-pot chicken is "to-die-for".

Whether you are an avid train fan, just looking for a quiet place to get away from it all or would simply like to experience the finest cooking to be found...this is the place to be. Dan and Elise Clark will make you feel right at home.. in their home. They are both; well traveled world adventures and "local historians".

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 October 2014

We spent the night at Elkhorn Inn recently and really enjoyed being able to watch all the trains that went by, even during the night. If you like trains, then this is the place to stay. The dinner Dan prepared was excellent, and we enjoyed chatting with both Dan and Elise. The hotel itself is a little "funky," filled with lots of knick-knacks, magazines, books, paintings, etc. We found it homey and comfortable.

Room Tip: If you want to watch trains go by, be sure to ask for a "railview" room.
  • Stayed: October 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MDLCa
Reviewed 19 August 2014

I stayed with Elise & Dan for 2 nights in July. I was made to feel very welcome right from the start. The room I had was as close to the track as possible. As a railfan, this was a nice touch! Though if you're a light sleeper, the horn & brake sequel might be a little loud. I enjoyed sitting outside with Dan and chatting over a few beers. The balcony, high speed wifi and ATCS monitor is a great touch. Great fun!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo