“Relaxed Sunday”

Cuisines: British, Pub
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 27 February 2018

Arrived just before 12pm,just as well that we had booked because the place began to get full,which is a good sign.The waitress's were young but attentive but not overly so.The Sunday roasts were very good,the vegetables were fresh and hot as well as the Cauliflower cheese (slightly overdone),the crumble off the day was too sweet hence not 4 stars.We were at the table for a long time but never hurried along which led to lovely atmosphere and a catch up with friends who we only see rarely.
All in all very good,MAKE SURE YOU BOOK FOR A SUNDAY RE PREPEARED FOR A LONG WAIT.

BootandSlipper, Manager at Boot & Slipper, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2018

Thank you very much for your review of The Boot and Slipper.
I am very glad to hear you enjoyed your Sunday lunch with us.
We look forward to see you again soon.

Reviewed 14 February 2018

Good good and perfect service. Small card but high quality. Families welcomed. We had good time. Not expensive.

Thank you for your review of The Boot and Slipper.
We are glad to hear you enjoyed your visit.
We look forward to seeing you soon.

Reviewed 4 February 2018 via mobile

Had a lovely evening , food was good , service was great. Greeted and seated by a lovely young lady called Georgia. Overall a thoroughly pleasant experience

BootandSlipper, Manager at Boot & Slipper, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2018

Thank you for your review.
I'm so glad you enjoyed your birthday with us. I will pass on your kind words to Georgia.

The Boot and Slipper Team

Reviewed 4 February 2018

I visited The Boot & Slipper with my husband, father and brother. My father is 89 years old and lives close to this establishment - therefore we all decided to have lunch there whilst we were spending the day with him. We have all dined at The Boot & Slipper before and all has generally been well.

The meals that my husband, father and brother ordered (fish & Chips and scampi & Chips) were fine.

I ordered the following item from the main menu:-

Croxton Manor® Rarebit Toastie
£4.99. With roasted red onion, on hand-sliced white or malted bloomer bread, with triple-cooked chips, dressed leaves and caramelised red onion chutney.

I also ordered a side of sweet potato fries - instead of the ordinary chips - and I said that I did not want the dressed leaves. The waitress asked if I would like my meal to be served at the same time as the other meals and I said "yes". As my meal was advertised as a 'main meal' I thought that question to be a bit strange.

After a while, a different waitress came along and gave me a plate with a thin slice of (clearly cheap, shop-bought) brown bread (untoasted) - sliced in half - with some melted cheese in the middle of each of the 2 triangles of bread. There was a small ramekin with some beetroot chutney in it. There was no sign of the sweet potato fries or the roasted red onion.

The first waitress looked across and noticed that the other meals hadn't been served at the same time as mine - so she came and took my plate away - and she apologised.

Eventually my husband's, father's and brother's meals arrived - shortly followed by the same plate of 'Rarebit Toastie' that had been brought to me earlier. This time it had a side of sweet potato fries.

I am 65 years old and I have never seen anything like this 'Rarebit Toastie'. It was nothing like the description on the menu - or anything like proper Welsh rarebit.

I think that I was in fact served with the 'Starter' version of the 'Rarebit Toastie' which had a different description to the one on the main menu (it was minus roasted red onion, chips & salad leaves). However, I had pointed to the item that I had chosen when I asked the waitress for 'Rarebit Toastie' when she took our order, so I do not know why there was any confusion.

I'm not even sure that the starter version of this dish is available at lunchtimes.

My slice of cheap brown bread with a dollop of melted cheese on top was cold, floppy and tasteless - and not what I was expecting at all. And at the price of almost £5.00 hardly good value for money !

My father was kind enough to pay the bill - therefore I do not know if he was charged for the 'Rarebit Toastie' and the sweet potato fries.

During our meal, when the waitress had come to ask how our meals were, I had advised her that I was not happy with mine. At first, she thought I was joking.

With hindsight, being a non-meat & non-poultry eater, I should have stuck to ordering scampi & chips or cod & chips - as I do eat fish, however, I simply wanted something different and I was enticed by the 'NEW' label on the menu, next to the 'Rarebit Toastie'. It sounded as though it was going to be something special - but it was a real let down and I was left hungry as it was hardly filling !

I am disgusted to think that the chefs thought that I would be stupid enough to accept that as a meal. The 'Rarebit Toastie' certainly was 'rare' as the bread wasn't toasted and there wasn't much on the plate !

Perhaps the chefs at The Boot & Slipper can 'Google' 'Welsh rarebit' to find out exactly how it should be cooked !

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

I'm terribly sorry to hear you had a less than satisfactory meal with us.

This is simply a miscommunication. The waitress thought you were ordering our rarebit starter with a side of sweet potato fries. An easy mistake to make. Guests who wish to have smaller meals do this regularly.

I sincerely apologise for this mix up and, of course,this should have been rectified at the time. I can only apologise that it wasn't.

I'm glad to hear your father, husband and brother enjoyed their meals.

I'm sure we can show you that our chefs do know how to cook welsh rarebit if you were to give us another opportunity.

Reviewed 29 January 2018 via mobile

Just been to the Boot and Slipper for dinner with the family. Fantastic dinner, service great, staff happy and friendly and excellent food. Tasty hot and well cooked, if only it was this good every time it would be the only place I went to. Many thanks the staff of the Boot and Slipper.

Thank you very much for your review of The Boot and Slipper.

I'm very glad to hear you enjoyed your evening with us.
We look forward to seeing you again soon.

The Boot and Slipper Team