“Hidden Gem”

Price range: US$5 - US$19
Cuisines: Bar, Pub
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Situated on the Trent & Mersey canal on lock 75 The Big Lock has been refurbished in 2012 and recently reoccupied by previous tenants Ken & Jackie Pickles in Feb 2013 having run the pub Nov 2008 to June 2011.We have a bar area & snug with pool table lounge areas and a restaurant with a balcony over looking the canal with outside seating front & canal side with a function room available to hire over looking the canal. There is a large car park available for walkers and pub visitors. We are open all day every day and serve food every day all day.
Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

Hidden away by canal this is an outstanding pub. Visited twice while we were staying in Middlewich and both times the meals were outstanding and the service of the staff was brilliant. Canmot recommend enough

Reviewed 12 March 2018

We came to the Big Lock after a 5 mile walk along the canal.

The menu caters for all tastes & we were also offered a £6 lunch time menu which again offered everything from sandwiches to burgers & fish or gammon with chips.

The portion sizes were good for the price & drinks were reasonable.

Despite there being a large party of 10 in, the waitresses were attentive & the food came quickly.

A great stop off for cheap & cheerful meals.

1  Thank stargirl04
Reviewed 12 March 2018 via mobile

Table was book after asking if it was wheelchair accessible and was told it was. It was not due to the stairs. The staff were unhelpful and my stake was not cooked how I asked for it to be done, sent back and it came back the same. I hat to ask for a knife and fork and was not given a stake knife and when I asked for one was then asked by the staff if I needed it. As it turned out I didn't as I could not eat the stake. Will not be going again totally ruined mothers day

1  Thank Jane S
Reviewed 26 February 2018 via mobile

My husband loves this pub and we always enjoy the meals. We tend to stick with the Cajun Chicken, salad and big chips as we always enjoy this meal.

Our granddaughter tried the Vegetable Curry with rice and chips and said it was delicious!

The wine is good whether it be Shiraz or Chardonnay and finally the sticky toffee pudding is as good as Cartmel!

The staff are always pleasant and polite and very friendly. It would be great for the pub to have a good ‘makeover’ as the seating areas are looking a bit tired and worn. Some areas need perking up! However, we still enjoy our meals here!

4  Thank Marie R
Reviewed 17 February 2018

Me and family dropped into the big lock having been before. I had ribs that came with fries and peas. I said to my wife the ribs didn't taste right, had an off sweet taste.I finished my meal, wife and others had burgers who said were very nice.Had some loud people next to us who couldn't say two words without being foul, not pleasant. Anyway we were asked if the meal was ok when we paid, and I replied not really, and wasn't questioned why. Got home and awake all night with stomach cramps and several trips to the toilet.Will not be back.

1  Thank Plugy C