Bower House Inn(Eskdale)(Great Value!)
Free cancellation until 26/07
Travelocity
The Pennington(Ravenglass)
US$120
TripAdvisor
All reviewsarmy truckwoolpack innentire housecinema roomthe publarge family celebrationlovely woodwell equipped kitchensteam trainperfect weekendbeautiful areab bslake districtself cateringlocal walksopen firela'al ratty
Reviewed 3 October 2014

Stanley House is set in a superb location with a river walk in their own grounds and a steam railway across the road with a fell walk. An eating pub is within walking distance and it won Pub of the Year in Cumbria. Huge rooms and reception areas. Lesley our host was so helpful and welcoming . A doggy heaven and Thumper our Irish Wolfhound did not want to leave. Fully recommended for an away from it all holiday with stunning scenery and beaches nearby.

• Stayed: September 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 September 2014

Stayed here as part of a wedding weekend ! The house is in desperate need if cleaning and repair. I shared a 1 bedroom room with two others - no room to breathe let alone do anything even with the 3rd bed being a poorly sprung camp bed !! There was also a less than pleasant damp musty smell to the room too.
I came back earlier than the rest of the main party that night and found the front door locked - now this would of been fine if either of the 2 keys I had would of been a front door key ! Phoned through to a less than helpful ( positively sarcastic ) woman who assured me that one of my square keys was round and that I should keep trying but she would send someone straight away ! An hour later the rest of my party showed up and luckily had a key !
If you happen to be disabled I would suggest you don't bother - in fact if you're able bodied I suggest you don't bother !
Food stuff left in the kitchen for breakfast looked very much on the left over side, so much so I skipped that part - and don't expect a decent bathroom either !!
For around one and a half grand for a night I would of expected a clean place at the very least !

Stayed: September 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank AndyLancashire
Reviewed 26 September 2014

Having fallen in lurveeee with the lakes as a kid, now 34 years old, I'm half way to retirement I guess (eek!) but the whole area is heaven. Arrive stressed with work, and slowly switch off, Fresh air, great walks, and for me some of the best driving roads in the UK......

I've stayed at the woolpack previously, Which is their sister B&B and returned there a year back for a short break... Perfect then as I'm sure it is now...... However when I called the morning of departure - organised as ever.... to hear the woolpack was full, I was somewhat gutted, But was swiftly told there was room at Stanley. Stanley? Who's Stanley?

Stanley sleeps 22-26 in total, Has a great breakfast chef team, Brilliantly relaxed yet polite and professional service, And then your on your own :). Think YHA. But posh.....

If you fancy the live football or a late drink in the woolpack, They even try an accommodate your lift.....

The morning after, I'm told make yourself a sandwich if your going walking.... To find a beautiful lump of Lakeland cheddar, a tub of margarine and a knife :-)
It's not a lot but the service and the gesture is there for all!! And the sandwich mid afternoon was great.

Room perfect, Breakfast better than perfect, two downstairs lounge rooms, one with a big screen tv, And the foyer room, then I heard about the home cinema room. Sign the disclaimer and enjoy. It rains up here, like everywhere else, And then sometimes u might just want to veg out anyway......

If your planning NYE next year, or have a family event planned, There might be somewhere better, But I wouldn't bother trying to find it!!

See u next time......

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the river .....
  • Stayed: September 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank jamesPattersonthree
Reviewed 26 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for 2 nights in a family suite. The bathroom was clean and toiletries nice (only good points). The bedrooms were cold on arrival (as windows had been left open) and radiators didn't come on. We had to leave a note on reception to point this out (as there was nobody on site at B&B 24 hours), which is not ideal as we were in cold rooms all night! The public areas of the B&B smelled musty and there were cobwebs everywhere (anybody with a fear of spiders avoid). Although our room was provided with an extra bed (3 people were staying in one room) we were given 2 bath towels only and, although requested, we did not get another - we bought one while out. The welcome book promises someone from Reception could order food from local pub or offer a lift to sister pub, but nobody was there all evening. Invisible hosts!! A very disappointing B&B experience for a break we were so looking forward to. From the reviews on here we were expecting charming, friendly hospitality - we saw one young girl who checked us in and told us she was pleased we were early so she could knock off early, and a very surly bloke who hardly said 2 words together. Ironically the slogan for Stanley House - "more than a B&B". I'm sorry, we found it less than a B&B more an open hostel! Not recommended at all and very overpriced - worth about £40 a night.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Sunloves09
Reviewed 4 August 2014

We had organised a reunion of our old football team for a weekend, now towards retirement we thought it's be a nice spot to get together and catch up. The location and hotel itself were very nice and we couldn't have any complaints. One of our group had his son also staying in the area with 3 of his friends. With the Sunday being fathers day, his son decided to come and visit with his friends for the Saturday night. With only one spare room we booked this, which had a 2 night booking minimum (very understandable). When they visited we didn't think it'd be a major issue if the 2 extra guests we had stayed in the living room (as there were NO other rooms to book and we had booked out all but 1 rooms in the hotel). They were woken at 8am and told to go upstairs. Then at breakfast the owner/woman approached them and began to bizarrely speak to 4 gentlemen in their mid 20s like school children?! Despite receiving an apology she seemed to think it fair that she try and charge the 2 extra £90 (a full room rate) for an interrupted sleep on a floor!! Despite the fact that one of the rooms had been paid for 2 nights and slept in for one (so there were no increased costs to housekeeping/breakfast)?! To be honest it left a sour taste in the mouth, and rather than approaching any of the group to discuss the matter reasonably the owner seemed to want to find an excuse to 'milk' a further £90 from a group that had already paid her a considerable sum!!! She even started talking about fire regulations when we were about to book out....'had there been a fire' etc. A reasonable point if made in the right way, but certainly nothing to be making a huge deal out of and charge £90 for!? If you want to stay then I'd say enjoy the setting - but just be careful as she is more interested in getting an extra bit of money than making you feel welcome and at home (like any good hotelier should). Suffice it to say we won't be staying again!!!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends