All reviews army truck woolpack inn entire house cinema room the pub well equipped kitchen steam train perfect weekend beautiful area b bs lake district self catering local walks open fire la'al ratty hardknott pass ravenglass and eskdale railway
Reviewed 9 May 2017

We had a brilliant weekend at Stanley House. There were 23 of us all together, and there was more than enough room for everyone. It was great to find a house where all the rooms were in one building, where the rooms had ensuite bathrooms, and where all the bed linen/towels etc was provided.

The house is absolutely beautiful and the garden area behind the house is stunning, and massive! It's also a few steps from a mountain side, which I walked up with some friends. The weather was beautiful and it was a wonderful & peaceful experience. Some other friends took a ride on the steam train which is also just a few steps away.

The facilities in the house are first rate. There was everything we could possibly need in the kitchen to cook for our large group. Two big ovens, two fridges, all the untensils, and lots of room to sit, dance, drink, and socialise. There were also two separate living room areas where people could relax. There's also free wifi which works throughout the entire house.

The staff were lovely from day one. They helped me with all the organising and booking, as well as booking a table for my partner's birthday in the nearby Woolpack Inn. The army truck ride to the pub was a lot of fun and made getting there & back easy. Also, I'd mentioned to one of the Stanley House staff that I was vegan, and I was very impressed to find that the chef at the Woolpack Inn had made me a special vegan meal with vegan cheese. Everyone I dealt with was incredibly helpful and friendly.

I'd read a few comments about the drive up there being a bit scary but as long as you take your time it's absolutely fine, and the view is stunning. It was one of the most beautiful drives we've ever done, the whole area is breathtaking. I believe we took the "less scary" route by not taking the Hardknott Pass route.

All in all, it was an absolutely perfect weekend that we'll never forget, and we can't wait to come back!

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 April 2017 via mobile

Thank you so much for catering for us all last Easter weekend. My family and i had such a brilliant time, it was just perfect for all 28 of us to reunite.

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay; very comfy beds, hot powerful showers, spacious rooms, well equipped kitchen, open fire and the cinema room which was a great hit for the kids!

The meal at The Woolpack Inn was also very lovely. Quick, efficient service. Our taxi to the pub in the Army Truck was fab and even my 88 year old Grannie came on it too!

We wiill definitely be booking with you guys again in the future!!
Hope to be back soon!

Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 April 2017 via mobile

I recently organised a family get together at Stanley House , Eskdale , on a self catering basis . This was no mean feat; as there was 24 of us . ( I should have hired a sheep dog too )
The house is over 200 years old and showing signs( As you would expect ) of wear and tear. Saying that, all rooms were large and clean, with lots of hot water. Paddington made sure that the rooms were made up in the configurations to suit our families needs and was on hand during our stay to answer any questions .
The kitchen is large & well equipped and looks out on the beautiful gardens and river, that runs past the house .
Opposite Stanley House, is the Beckfoot Station. Where the La'al Ratty narrow gauge steam train runs (Means small train) this does not detract from the peace and quiet of Eskdale. It is a 10 min walk to Dalesgarth Station to buy your tickets to Ravenglass . A 40 min journey. There is a beach, two pubs , a Roman bath house and a post office but not much else. The train brought back some lovely childhood memories for most of us .
There are several pubs within a 1/2 - 2 miles of the house which serves lovely home made food.
Local walks are well maintained, from waterfall walks to flatter ground for the less abled.
Stanley House is in a beautiful part of the Lake District & as Arnold Swartzenager said "I'll be back "

Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 March 2017

Booked last minute overnight stay, to attend a family funeral in the area. Arrived late at night from Gosforth in the rain and found the hotel locked. There is a phone and the lady said she was on her way. We waited a few minutes in the cramped porch. She was friendly and immediately showed us to our rooms and started the fire. As we were the only guests that night, the hotel was not heated. Even on full, the radiators were only warm and I had to keep my coat on the entire time. The fire went out after the lady left and there were no firelighters. We got the fire going. And heated our beds with a hairdryer we brought and took blankets from the wardrobe. Was warm once I was in bed. If not specified, the rate is for room only,. Breakfast is extra. The tea and coffee is in the well equipped kitchen, I suggest bringing bread and butter or whatever you have for breakfast as you can make this yourself in the morning, in fact, the lady did not even return the following day when we checked out and told us to leave the keys inside. When we complained about the cold, she said that was strange and then conformed she would take the remainder of the charge for the rooms off the credit card. The kitchen has 2 fridges and an ice maker, 2 toasters, 2 kettles and a coffee maker. There is a large hob for cooking, a microwave and 2 dishwashers. We had the house to ourselves, which was lovely. It is close to the railway line, there are several B &Bs nearby which seemed to have more life than Stanley House - probably because it was low season, although it wasn't cheap. The area is stunning! If you are prepared with your own supplies, this is a great option. The decor is tired, but actually quite charming and the water is hot, but takes at least 10 minutes to warm up. Take all your toiletries, only hand wash is provided, but lots of towels.

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 January 2017 via mobile

We took the whole house for the weekend for a large family celebration. Nice rooms, well equipped kitchen, lovely wood stove in the main room. Location is gorgeous. Perfect for our needs! Some of the decor is a little tired but all in all it was very comfortable. There's even a cinema in the basement.

Stayed: January 2017, travelled with family