“Terrible food at top dollars”
Review of Bistro Bunya

Bistro Bunya
Ranked #37 of 55 Restaurants in Maleny
Cuisines: Australian
Reviewed 6 November 2017

I apologise that i have already put this review on the hotel (accomadation) as i couldnt find this restaurant option. So here is a repeat :

Incredibly disappointing in the restaurant last Wednesday evening. Not many customers, (around 7.30) so it should have been possible to get spot on. My companion's fish of the day was very nice, if on the small side for an expensive pub meal. My pizza, which arrived 5 to 10 mintes later was not cooked. The dough was raw in the middle, and tasted as though the yeast hadn't worked. I told the waitress and, after referrring to someone, she offered a re-make. This didn't suit me as I was already behind my companion and presumably this would add another 20 minutes or so.

It is a new menu and top prices for pub meals (though pizza has always been on the menu). This response was inadequate. The chef him/her self should have come to see (especially since it was so quiet) and a full refund would have been more reasonable.

Before posting this i emailed the hotel directly but they have not responded

Reviewed 16 July 2017

I was really hoping I would love this place, I really wanted to. I recently had a nice lunch here but dinner last night was very disappointing. I couldn't believe what I was paying for.

The salmon with mash and seasonal veg was not worth the $24.00 price tag. If the salmon was a juicy fat mid piece and was cooked well then maybe? The size of the plate didn't help either, it looked more like an entree. My salmon was not plump, it was quite small and flat but worst of all it was so very dry and overcooked. The skin was dry and chewy not crispy as stated on the menu. I ate it but really drained canned John west salmon would have had more moisture. I think they just left it in the oven too long or are not used to cooking thinner peaces of salmon. And there was no hint of olive oil on it at all. It's really not that hard! And it had no seasoning. The mash sounded great on the menu, capers and horseradish infused but it was just one small spoon. I added more salt and it tasted fine. The seasonal veg with sweet chilli sauce was interesting but tasty. My partner ordered steak and it was well cooked and tasty. The chips were frozen, shame many restaurants can't use real potatoes, especially at $32.00 for a steak and chips! The salad was dry, no dressing at all.

It's nice to go out and not cook for a night but after having their salmon dish I will just pick up a fresh plump piece from Woolworths and cook it much better myself. I know how to cook crispy skin salmon and I made a very bad decision ordering this here. What a disappointing way to spend $24.00. BTW the staff were friendly and the atmosphere was nice and warm, maybe their cooks just need some training or more help in the kitchen.

I hope you can improve as I love to support your community. I don't often write bad reviews either so it's a shame I woke this morning still feeling bad about my meal so thought it best that I let you know. Sorry!

Reviewed 13 July 2017 via mobile

We had a large family group looking for lunch and although there are many cafes in Maleny we thought we'd go the pub option so we could all easily sit together. To be honest, I wasn't expecting a lot from the food, but it was excellent. I had the grilled salmon which was cooked perfectly with vegetables which were also cooked well and full of flavour. My husband had the grilled chicken breast which was also delicious. Highly recommend it.

Reviewed 23 June 2017

We waited 50 mins for lunch on a Friday. The steak burger was cold. When we mentioned it. They had all the excuses in the world, they couldn't care less, they had our money and that was all that mattered. Disgusted and won't return.

Reviewed 16 April 2017

With monthly special dishes, nightly specials the hotel always has something new to try.... Or order from the usual menu. The wood fire pizzas are available three nights a week and are great value for money.