“Great Value and beautiful generous serves”

Ginger Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #10 of 216 Restaurants in Maroochydore
Price range: US$11 - US$23
Description: Ginger Japanese Restaurant
Description: Ginger Japanese Restaurant
Reviewed 18 April 2017 via mobile

We had a dinner for 8 adults and 4 kids. The place is small but very accomodating. The staff were polite and the food arrived quickly. Wouldn't hesitate to eat there again in its laid back , eat till you burst , Japanese sushi with all the twists restaurant .

Reviewed 17 March 2017

Great value for money delicious food. I had a sashimi plate that would normal cost around $40 for $22.50 . Food was delicious and fresh with generous portions .

Reviewed 9 March 2017 via mobile

Three couples visited Gingers to get introduced to authentic Japanese food. We depended on the staff to explain the various Items on the menu.

All of the different dishes were generous in quantity and very appetizing. I had the pork belly serving. I was amazed how nicely the pork was cooked and how easily it could be cut. I probably could have used the chop sticks.

When you consider the reasonable prices, the BYO feature and the size of the portions, it was tremendous value to eat here. I expect we will be back in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 5 March 2017 via mobile

Four of us (2 couples) arrived before 6PM for dinner and a catch up. Greeted politely and shown to a nice corner table. Restaurant 3/4 full.
Looked like things were hectic in the open kitchen, but no real warning that we were in for a very long wait for the mains (which finally arrived at 7:30).
Staff did apologise after an hour and gave us a free Edamame (green beans) but we would have preferred notice on arrival so that we'd have had the choice of going elsewhere.
Food was great but unfortunately the excessive wait took the edge off of the evening.

Reviewed 25 February 2017

We were really looking forward to trying Ginger after I'd heard all the hoo-harr from colleagues & friends, so booked a table for 4 for son #1 san's 18th birthday a couple of weeks ago with much anticipation.

Having eaten Japanese food for several decades in JPN & all around the world I'm totally au fait with the landscape, however our visit was marred by a couple of things which Ginger should really have been well on top of.

Starters - edamame & takoyaki were fine - (it's very difficult to get edamame or takoyaki wrong anyway), the pork gyoza were exceptionally good - the prawn croquettes fine - except they were the size of cricket balls and cold-ish at the centre - they don't need to be this big - 3 at half the size or elongated would be better to manhandle and to cook/warm up...

Mains included 2x shoyu ramen... unduly long wait - after 20 minutes two steaming bowls arrived... only for the noodles to be uncooked and hard. Pop Pop chicken was very good indeed though - 美味い - karaage for pro's...

My youngest son had the TeryVery chicken with rice - a good effort at rustic izakaya style gloopy teryaki - but we really could've done without the inclusion of a couple of very long black (human) hairs in that dish.

We pointed out both problems immediately and away went the bowls of ramen, to return (again some long time) later as they should've been in the first place - 美味しい.

Our server apologised greatly for the other uninvited ingredients - a difficult situation which should never have happened - so I suggested removing that dish from the bill, which they kindly did. The service at Ginger is attentive without being sucker-like - fine with me. I had to depart early so I left our party to finish off, and the staff I gather recovered the mood as well as they could.

So, all in all a bit of a mixed experience, but I'm reviewing here as OK because the quality of the food by all accounts is, when it happens, GOOD. (Look - Aussies generally don't have a first clue what constitutes authentic food at the best of times, let alone having to get into the relative merits of regional or specific national cuisines unfortunately, which is why they often gush - 'the best I've ever had!, amazing!, to die for!' etc etc when actually what they're talking about is pretty ordinary fare to a standard most locals call home cooking, which isn't actually exceptional and doesn't require an emotional fanfare or bloody Michelin star! Thanks for indulging me in this mini-rant by the way, but it's totally TRUE... and SO frustrating reading reviews on here, only to be disappointed time & time again - it's wombats & typewriters territory... I think. :D )

Try to pull back on those mains prices please management too - $22 for a basic chicken katsu curry is ridiculous - $16 is about right - $18 tops. Entree menu pricing is spot-on though, thankfully. On the menu stick to 8 entrees and 12 mains - the starter menu is too big and the mains menu too small.

Will we be back? Yes.

Will we have the same challenges next time I eat there? I sincerely hope not.

Three stars to Ginger then - when I'd really hoped to give them five...

To be revisited...