“Pierogi Heaven!”

Cuisines: American, German, Eastern European, Central European
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
Reviewed 17 August 2016

When the employees are wearing t-shirts that say "got pierogies?" then you know what you need to order.

This is a family-owned Polish restaurant that looks and feels like it's been around for half a century. It's not fancy, and the food is served cafeteria-style. On the night we went the place was hopping (apparently it generally is). There was a line but it moved fairly quickly and we waited less than 15 minutes before getting to the food.

Nicknacks and mementoes cover every inch of wall surface space.

I had the grilled walleye (cooked perfectly to order and brought to our table) and my wife had the stuffed cabbage (the shape and nearly the size of a football). Both of us had sides of perogies and other sides and salads. Everything was delicious.

All in all, we had a blast at Sokolowski's

1  Thank Biblioguy

Reviewed 13 August 2016 via mobile

I'm Polish and going to that place I expected a bit more. Some dishes were better than others. Pierogi were good but they lacked onion and bacon. Mashed potatoes were not too tasty. Cakes were delicious but I wouldn't say that they were Polish. I didn't like the decor. It was simply too much of everything. Random photos, pictures of saints, a figure of John Paul II; a bunch of random things that did not really go well together. The restaurant was crowded so it means local people really like it! I liked the great variety of liquor; I also had a Polish beer which was awesome. Overall experience 3/5.

1  Thank szszyszszka
Reviewed 12 August 2016

Real Pierogi- not Mrs T's!!!

Wonderful homestyle cafeteria food- if you are of Polish/Slovak- any Eastern European descent, you will feel right at home. Totally authentic food, great diverse crowd, and a piano player!!

1  Thank Angela J
Reviewed 12 August 2016

What a wonderful place to eat. Food I grew up eating, food my friends love to enjoy, and an atmosphere that reminds you of your grandma's house. Fantastic portions, delicious food, and great dessert. Fully recommended for the whole family.

Reviewed 8 August 2016

My son and I both had a great meal here - mine was the authentic Polish food complete with latkes and pirogues. My son had a cheeseburger, but he raved about the fries. The service is cafeteria style, which was off-putting at first. But then we sat down at our table while live piano music entertained us and ate the best ethnic food I have had in years. Wish I lived closer

1  Thank Ellen A